HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

High Dynamic Range

by taboma / July 21, 2009 3:42 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: High Dynamic Range
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: High Dynamic Range
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is my favorite site on HDR
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 21, 2009 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: High Dynamic Range
Collapse -
This is my favorite site on HDR
by taboma / July 22, 2009 12:47 PM PDT

kalel33,
I was stunned with the images.
Good luck to him. I hope he is successful with a book in the future.
His website is listed on http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr/
Has all the help from this man in order to learn the process on the internet free at his site.

I really think HDR is wonderful.
Did you like his fabulous photo images?? I bookmarked the site.
Really nice to view.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
I love his shots

I've read where Photoshop is a major pain to do HDR. Most of the people that do HDR use Photomatix(same thing he uses). You can download a demo copy to try out. They just put watermarks on the images until you buy the software, but it'd be nice to try out.

Collapse -
I love his shots
by taboma / July 22, 2009 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I love his shots

kalel33
Thanks for the info on Photomatix. Nice info.
I still plan on using Adobe Photoshop as an experiment with layers.
I will send an example and how it turned out. Now all I have to do is search for a suitable photo to use and try it out.
Wish me luck I will need it. :

Collapse -
HDR
by hjfok / July 22, 2009 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: High Dynamic Range

The easiest HDR is to put your camera on tripod, then use auto exposure bracketing (AEB) to quickly take 3 to 5 shots with different exposures (more if you have a pro model). Then use Photoshop to blend them together.

It has a learning curve since different shooting conditions require different amount of EV steps and different number of bracketed frames and shots. For a beginner, it is mostly a trial and error. If you have time and patience, it can give you some stunning still photos.

Collapse -
HDR
by taboma / July 22, 2009 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: HDR

hjfok,
Well it looks like you have used the technique of HDR.
I have a Nikon D300 so I will practice HDR in the future.
Really outstanding results.
I also use Adobe Photoshop daily. Would be the same as flattening the layers and creating one image.
Some of his images remind me of Jump's quality photos and yours.

I am going to try an experiment in Photoshop and with the same photo in five or six layers with different levels and curves. I will post back to you here and show you. Should be interesting.

I wonder if Ansel Adams developed HDR back in 1949!?

-Kevin

Collapse -
HDR
by taboma / July 22, 2009 5:23 PM PDT

Here is a Adobe Photoshop image that had six layers (Multiply) and flattened into one image. I tried various levels, curves, sharpen, sharpen edges and everything I could think of.
I really do not think that all the manipulation was worth it at all.
Still looks like my original photo.

Corrected:
http://img188.imageshack.us/i/ludwigsyellowcastle.jpg/

Original:
http://img122.imageshack.us/i/ludwigsyellowcastle1191.jpg/

See what you all think. Would EXIF Viewer show all the manipulation that I performed?
Just show Adobe Photoshop?

There is a new interface with Image Shack.
I still have to reduce the image down to an 8?x6? size. The resize image needs some help with Image Shack it seems. I have not used Image Shack for a few months.
It was driving me nuts tonight!!!
The new interface with Image Shack is BAD!! Am I the only one that hates it today? If it works, don't fix it!!!
And your thoughts?

-Kevin

Collapse -
HDR
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 23, 2009 12:51 AM PDT

Kevin, I am no expert on HDR but I see no difference in the before and after.

I tried something like that myself once and saw no difference either.

The HDR process needs photos with exposure differences.

With HDR, they use a minimum of three photos.
One underexposed, one normal exposure, and one overexposed.
Your camera can do that with one press of the shutter button, if you use "exposure bracketing" (use a tripod).

Some people have been successful doing HDR using just a single picture, but only if the original is in RAW.
They process the RAW photo file for underexposure, then do another for normal exposure, and another for overexposure.
Then they stack the three results and do their HDR magic.

Joe

Collapse -
HDR
by taboma / July 23, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

Joe, Thanks for explaining HDR and the exposure difference.
It is interesting to say the least.
I guess shooting in RAW is the key.
Jump shoots in RAW mode all the time. His photography is wonderful to view.
Joe, do you shoot in the RAW in Texas or do you you keep your clothes on!? :

Collapse -
HDR
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 23, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

I have tinkered with RAW, but I'm just too lazy I guess.

In Texas we keep our clothes on, otherwise we would be sunburned in about thirty minutes.

We just finished a cycle of over 100 degree days.
It has been cooler the past few days.
About 95 degrees.
We got some of those Texas thunderstorms with 1.5 inches of rain in 20 minutes.
They are known as "frog stranglers".
But they do cool things off for a day or two.

Joe

Collapse -
Your HDR image
by hjfok / July 24, 2009 11:42 AM PDT

They look the same to me. You should set the EV wider apart and use RAW.

There are 2 popular softwares to improve the "HDR look". Many people use Photomatrix Pro which gives the more dramatic look. The other program is Essential HDR which gives a more realistic look.

I use Photoshop CS3, has not got much success in creating the dramatic look, but I don't have much time or too lazy to mess around with HDR. I'm waiting for the future camera that come with automated HDR with in-camera processing when there is enough computing power in the sensor.

Collapse -
Your camera is already here
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 24, 2009 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Your HDR image

The Pentax K7 does HDR in the camera.

Collapse -
Not quite
by hjfok / July 26, 2009 5:23 PM PDT

If I'm not mistaken, it basically just do a quick 3 shots, something like using the AEB, and do a simple splicing of the image. I have not seen its results, but doubt it will look anything better than using Photoshop and AEB.

Collapse -
Your HDR image
by taboma / July 24, 2009 6:42 PM PDT

hjfok,
My two images are not from RAW or using Photomatrix Pro.
Just my attempt to use Adobe Photoshop and create a HDR look.
I know exactly what you suggested. I was just trying to see what would come out using Photoshop techniques.
It was interesting to try in six layers and was worth the effort to use my skills trying to duplicate the look of HDR.

hjfok, I will try again with a different photo.
I did follow the tutorial from utube that was submitted. WOW, that looked really nice and the tutorial was great.

Let's face it, your photos shot in RAW and Jump's are really HDR in quality. You both are already there.

Try to improve on Ansel Adams. I do not think anyone can.
It is worth a try. Your B&W night-scape studies that you submitted before are fabulous!
OK, take the original B&W photo from your portfolio and try to use Photomatrix Pro or Essential HDR and reprocess your photo.
My guess is that you will not improve your quality imagery at all!
It is already there.
Plus the fact you have CS3. How much better can you get unless you hire Dreamworks or Disney and spend a Zillion dollars to experiment with.
"Bring a whole suitcase of money!" (quoted from: Bob Proffitt, one of our Super Mods here on CNET.)

One of my friends, Mike Bailey from MA, won a film award working on the Disney film scene where the pirate ship (Pirates of the Caribbean) was encased with ice. The computer processors cost millions of dollars in order to process that image and thousands of dollars per second in order to produce that scene. The scene was unbelievable!

hjfok, Do not wait for a new camera that has HDR.
You already have that feature now??YOUR eye and your skills.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Kevin
by jump1127 / July 27, 2009 3:01 PM PDT

HDR is something very hard to shoot for me. I need a tripod, shutter release, a mirror lock-up, and great pleasant day. My Canon 1Ds III allows me to shoot AEB ( auto exposure bracket ) for 7 pictures. The problem is when I shoot anything moving for those many pictures, the outcomes aren't so pleasant. Some came out with so many blur spots. Any way, it'd be very nice to shoot indoor when there's so much shadow & highlight. The best HDR ? Human is an example. Closer to that ? A good film camera with a tripod can produce a close result ( regard dynamic range ). Keep trying. Photomatrix is also a very good & powerful software.

Collapse -
HDR
by taboma / July 28, 2009 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Kevin

Jump, try HRD with those fabulous portraits of yours or AEB settings.
My guess is that it will be the same as your original photos that you have shown to us before. And you still would like the images softer with females.
A man with a beard and a cigar hanging out of his mouth would be a great portrait in dramatic natural lighting indoors.

Have you tried HDR or AEB while photographing Nitescapes?
That is where both might excel.
You and hjfok have night time shots down to a science. Wish I did.

If I go out tonight trying night time photography, my neighbors would have me arrested as a "Peeping Tom!" :

Collapse -
I may soon have a chance to do so
by jump1127 / July 28, 2009 4:01 PM PDT

this weekend. I'll go to Petchburi. It's a cave where light fall thru' from the ceiling. In fact, the movie, " Bangkok Dangerous " , starred by Nicholas Cage, shot some scenes there. I'll try to make you some HDR since I plan to carry along my tripod and shutter release set. That'd be amazing. When it's ready, I'll show you the link. Another chance to shoot HDR ? I'll fly to Yunnan, China, in September. Definitely, I'll show you when I get back.

Collapse -
I may soon have a chance to do so
by taboma / July 29, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

Jump, I want to see the nightscapes in that Petchburi cave.
Would be great to be next to you and see how you photograph the caves in HDR.
That type of photography is too difficult for me to even try.

Have a great trip. We will be waiting to see your results.

-Kevin

Collapse -
HDR
by taboma / July 29, 2009 4:40 PM PDT

Here is a test with my original photo of Middlebury Falls in Vermont two years ago.
Jump, you were there a few years ago as I recall.

I had a good tourist photo while on vacation. I used a Canon D500 pocket camera.
I love that small camera while on vacation.

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/middleburyfallshdrtest.jpg/

Next is trying to manipulate my original image and trying to duplicate the HDR technique using Adobe Photoshop:
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/middleburyfallshdr.jpg/

I did use four layers for this and many manipulations later after flattening the image.
The third image is applying only the filter ?Sharpen? to the second multiple manipulation image.
http://img60.imageshack.us/i/middleburyfallshdr1.jpg/

All images are not that drastic from each other. The third image is very sharp I agree.
My question: Is HDR really worth the effort? If I had 500 images shooting in this RAW mode I would have a long, long time processing these images.
I have never used this RAW technique while photographing.
I suppose that if I were a professional photographer, than the time spent would be worth it!
I am a professional graphic artist and the challenge is there for us all.
(Took me some time experimenting with this file, Not easy at all.)
I had fun doing it and to view the results along the way. Some worked and some did not. That?s why I love Adobe Photoshop.

Jump is going into a cave soon using the HDR technique. That will be a test with nightscapes and HDR. I bet he will have fantastic photos to show us all.

That is what I want to see if the bats do not eat him up!! :

Collapse -
Light is the key to a great HDR
by jump1127 / July 30, 2009 4:03 PM PDT

I saw your pictures. In my opinion, I noticed a small difference for undergoing photoshop. Any way, the light & shadow inside a picture reveals how effective HDR is. I'll do my best this weekend. Any way, visit my peronal website. My recent trip to Karnjanaburi, waterfall, 2 weeks ago. YOu'll enjoy them.

http://yuth1127.multiply.com

Collapse -
Light is the key
by taboma / July 30, 2009 5:19 PM PDT

Jump, I thought DPP_0004.jpg was spectacular! Great angles and design.

-Kevin

Collapse -
by taboma / July 30, 2009 5:21 PM PDT

I loved your photos.

-Kevin

Collapse -
by taboma / July 30, 2009 5:57 PM PDT

Jump, take a look at these files of Turkey.
Did you have the opportunity of going to Seluk?

You and everyone else here in this Forum would love the place.
So many photo opportunities.

SELUK, TURKEY
The Turkish government built this magnificent site in order to promote and highlight Turkish crafts. Namely rug weaving. I was impressed with this site and took many photos that day.
The weather was very cold and raining that day, Nov, 29, 2007.
Not a great day for photography I thought at first.
There are many opportunities to take some pretty good photos when it is raining.
Here are two examples in Seluk, Turkey.
I photographed with a Canon D500 pocket camera because it is small, handy to carry in your pocket, and the camera is capable of producing excellent results.

I tried HDR in Adobe Photoshop this evening, July 30, 2009, with two photos from single photo image files. I did not shoot the originals in RAW file.

The first example is outside the courtyard.
Strictly architectural in subject matter which I love.
The original: http://img75.imageshack.us/i/selukcourtyard0050.jpg/

Photoshop A: http://img508.imageshack.us/i/selukcourtyard0050a.jpg/

Photoshop B: http://img189.imageshack.us/i/selukcourtyard0050b.jpg/

I do like the ?B? file even though it is not a true HDR photo shot in RAW format.
Any thoughts from our Forum?

The second example is from the inside of the courtyard and I just want you to view the final image of my attempt w/HDR using Photoshop.
http://img505.imageshack.us/i/selukcourtyard0051a.jpg/

Imagine oranges growing in November in Turkey? Spectacular!!
Temperatures were very cold that day. I wish it were snowing!!
Better photo opportunities.
I could have spent a few months photographing there. I loved being there and would go back in a heart beat!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Yes..
by jump1127 / July 30, 2009 7:14 PM PDT

I went to that place. But, I could hardly remember since it was so cold and we had to leave quite late that day. It was in December ! And the temperature was -8 C outside.. Any way, a revisit to Turkey is still on my mind. That will be in the next few year. Thanks for sharing , Kevin.

Collapse -
HDR
by Charles_Bronson / August 1, 2009 4:04 AM PDT

works best in high contrast images, where there's extreme darks and lights. You need a tripod and you're best bet is to use AEB and a remote or a shutter delay, to prevent any movement from image to image.

When you use Photoshop to create HDR images you don't just flatten the layers together, you want to go to file> automate> merge to HDR. Then it lets you choose you're images and it merges them for you.

Collapse -
HDR
by taboma / August 2, 2009 2:26 PM PDT

Thanks Charles for the tip on automate/merge images v/s flatten layers.

"When you use Photoshop to create HDR images you don't just flatten the layers together, you want to go to file> automate> merge to HDR. Then it lets you choose you're images and it merges them for you."

Your tip has been saved into my HDR folder.

Charles, Where the heck have you been hiding!!??
Please get involved more in this Forum.

Great tip! I will try that technique next time.
Now you have me wondering?

-Kevin

Collapse -
No problem.
by Charles_Bronson / August 5, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

I like doing HDR, I just don't usually carry my tripod around. But yeah, if you're using Photoshop, Automate will probably give you the best results. Unless of course you really want to dedicate some time merging them manually. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it's doable. It'd be a matter of masking or erasing the over/underexposed areas on each photo, I suppose. I've always wanted to try something like that with a really cool looking sunset. Merge the properly exposed sky/ground together.

Collapse -
Charles and HDR
by taboma / August 6, 2009 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem.

I am looking forward to Jump's cave photos in HDR.
I wonder if HDR will improve Jump's images at all??
His photos are so super sharp in RAW to begin with. My guess is that it is not worth the effort to improve on them. Only my opinion here.

Charles, submit a few of your photo sunset images. I would like to see them. Thanks for your tip on AUTOMATE.
I will try on a photo that my wife took two years ago up in Cape Brittan Island in Nova Scotia. The sunset colors were pink/lavender.
The colors were wonderful. Unusual colors. I wish I took the photo.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I wonder how Joe Randolph, our MOD, would treat the images for HDR?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Here's a few older ones.
by Charles_Bronson / August 7, 2009 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Charles and HDR

They were taken on my 35mm. I'm working right now so I can't go digging for more recent digital pics, but I'll try to find some later.

The second link is probably one of my favorite photos I've ever taken. A storm was rolling in which is why the clouds look so strange. In fact it was a matter of minutes before it was pouring on us. The first one is Newark. The second was taken from Bayonne, NJ. And the third I just stumbled on and don't remember taking it and have no clue where it was. NY, maybe. It's not great, but the sky looks cool.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4876/1818o.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3299/066nodust.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/898/r001030.jpg

Collapse -
Here's a few older ones.
by taboma / August 7, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

Charles, Nice photos. All three.

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.