TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

High Definition TV vs. NTSC vs. PAL

by huxley / October 22, 2007 12:37 AM PDT

I think I may know the answer already but then I read a thread that throws up some hope!

I have a Sony HDR-HC5E Handycam (Digital HD 1080i). I have just moved back to New York from Europe and purchased a Sony Bravia 32XBR4. However, connecting the camcorder to the TV via an HDMI connection I get sound but no picture. I am assuming this is because the TV is NTSC and the camcorder PAL therefore, to playback on a TV, I should use a PAL TV.

I had always assumed that HDTV was a 'new' standard and the old PAL/NTSC was no longer relevant. Therefore I was surprised to see the PAL reference in the camcorder instructions! Previously I had used a Sony Digital/Hi8 (NTSC) on a PAL TV with no problems which may have lead me to my over-confidence in doing it in reverse.

Is there hope? Can I connect directly to the Sony TV and get pictures. Or will I have to view the videos via computer only?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: High Definition TV vs. NTSC vs. PAL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: High Definition TV vs. NTSC vs. PAL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony and Sony, hmm???
by NM_Bill / October 23, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

As a loyal Sony customer, why not go right to the company for guidance?

Collapse -
I did contact Sony......
by huxley / October 25, 2007 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony and Sony, hmm???

and got the following polite but useless response..........

"Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We are Sony Electronics of America and only have information for units manufactured for sale and use in the United States. Sony in each country/region is responsible for the design, manufacture, sales and support of their own units. For information on how to contact a Sony facility of the country where you purchased the Camcorder, please visit our Global support site at:

http://www.sony.net

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance."

I am still trying, pointing out the TV was bought in the US......

Collapse -
Keep trying. You need to penetrate to the next higher
by NM_Bill / October 26, 2007 1:58 AM PDT

level of customer service to get past these mindless automated, one size fits all responses. It is somewhat of a struggle, but with repeated, pointed appeals - a real human being eventually should see your plight & actually do something useful.

I've had these struggles with several operations such as Samsung, Vonage, Verizon, Cisco, & a few more. Eventual success can usually be made. BTW it used to be easy to get to a real live person with Verizon, but apparently no more. I have 5 more days on my contract with them. If the idiots at the Verizon store can't actually straighten issues out - it bye bye Verizon.

Keep trying to get to that next level. Maybe a Sony dealer might be able to give you a phone number to actually contact tech support or customer relations or whatever they call it.

With Samsung I used polite persistence to get referred by low level customer support to "executive customer support." It eventually got me reimbursed $800 for repairs by one of their authorized service center contractors because the repair was after warranty but the repair itself had a 90 day warranty & they didn't get it right the first time. I wasn't going to let getting brushed off by the authorized repair center saying "too bad."

Persist !!!

Collapse -
Hey!
by rezaarif / April 27, 2008 9:38 PM PDT

Hi Huxley!

Were u able to get a solution to ur problem? I heard there were convertors .. but it causes a loss of quality ...

I am actually wanting to buy a PAL camcorder in the US .. as prices here in India are on the higher side .. Do mail me at MohammedReza.Arif@Steria.co.in

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.