Computer Help forum

General discussion

High CPU Usage & Very Slow Start-up

by ogri750 / February 13, 2008 9:04 PM PST

Hope someone can throw some light on an issue I have got.

MOBO - Asrock Dual Series 4Core Dual-Sata 2
CPU - Intel Dual Core 1.8Ghz
RAM - DDR2 2Gb
Graphics - Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE (pcie)
HDD - 200Gb Maxtor

Just rebuilt this system after the previous MOBO died on me, so I thought I would update some items.

Fresh install of XP Home, updates (windows and drivers) done,programs added back on etc and everything running fine.

A couple of days ago, the pc was taking a very long time to boot, with the HDD LED permanently lit, not flickering but staying on. Once the system gets to the Windows log on screeen and I click on the user name, the log on sound is all garbled and struggles, check CPU usage and it is way high.

I have checked what loads at start up, and there are very few items. Chked with both adaware and spybot, but no problems found.

Cleaned and reapplied thermal paste between CPU and cooler, and checked temp of CPU (30c/86f)

Running processes are 36, which isn't excessively high.

Any ideas what else I can check

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: High CPU Usage & Very Slow Start-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: High CPU Usage & Very Slow Start-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you installed any new
by jconner / February 13, 2008 11:30 PM PST

or updated virus scan software or firewall? In re-installing your settings for these could change and it may be doing initial startup scans. Sort the processes by mem usage and watch it just after logon.

Also look at what you have for virtual disk as opposed to what you may have had before.

When I've experienced this (far too often), it was usually virus scanning, firewall settings that changed or were set to default at install.

Collapse -
Have You Installed Any New
by ogri750 / February 14, 2008 12:30 AM PST

The firewall is a hardware firewall in the router, and the AV is NOD32. I don't know if this configures itself to scan at start-up.....I haven't been able to see a setting for this yet

Collapse -
You also have
by jconner / February 14, 2008 1:58 AM PST

Windows firewall, which will setup defaults on fresh install. Don't know your anti-virus, but for debug you can disable both. Looking at what tasks are eating up the memory on bootup and then doing a google on any you don't recognize will help. There are several freeware utilities recommended by PC world which analyze startup tasks. There are a number of threads here which talk about diagnosing startup slow downs.

Collapse -
Have you installed
by ogri750 / February 14, 2008 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: You also have

As soon as it is possible, I have a look at the processes, and there is nothing in there that seems to be using much........but the cpu usage is between 55% and 85%.

Collapse -
another way to view
by jconner / February 14, 2008 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Have you installed

processes is to click/sort on the CPU header in processes and see who is busy and then search those as well. Someone besides System Idle process is awfully busy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!