Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

high cpu usage in 3d applications

by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 6:07 AM PST

hi all!
i have c2d e6600 cpu, gtx 285 gpu, 4gb ram, and everything worked fine till recently... on every 3d application cpu usage is 30-60%... i discovered this only few days ago... before that i had some fps issues, tried to update gpu driver and got this error in event viewer "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:." event id is 55... after that, chck disk did it's job and after reboot i installed gpu drivers(booted 640x480res)...
i checked it for viruses with several tools. it's clean...
tried prime95 to torture cpu and ram. after 12 hours no warnings or errors.
also tried manufacturer diagnostic tool for hdd. it's healthy.
tryed atitool for gpu test... no artefacts...
any idea is more than welcome

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: high cpu usage in 3d applications
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: high cpu usage in 3d applications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm a little confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 6:32 AM PST

I thought the atitool was for ATI cards. Your post has the gtx 285.

You didn't reveal the connection to the HDD, if IDE you know the XP DMA issue and cure.
Bob

Collapse -
thx for the reply
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: I'm a little confused.

ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards
it start 3d object and increase temperature every 5-10 secs until artefacts start to appear... idle temp is 43-45degrees, under stress in games it's 60-65degrees... i left it to work until 75degrees... no artefact appeared

i not sure what u mean by this "You didn't reveal the connection to the HDD, if IDE you know the XP DMA issue and cure.". if u mean about cables, it's sata2... if u mean about primary IDE channel in device manager it has "auto detection" and "dma if available" selected. if there is anything about this pls write about it
btw all hardware work on default clock...

Collapse -
"all hardware work on default clock."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: thx for the reply

Sorry but I pass when overclocking is involved. Hope you find out what it is.
Bob

Collapse -
Step down the overclocking ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 13, 2010 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: thx for the reply

until the problem resolves. It may not resolve until it is no longer overclocked.

Collapse -
now i'm confused
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 7:56 AM PST

since when "default clock" mean "it's overclocked"???
it never was overclocked... i only downloaded that tool to test gpu for artefacts...

Collapse -
"artefacts start to appear"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 8:04 AM PST

This is a sign there is a hardware issue. It's either the old dust clog or heat sink compound issue or just a dying chip.

You found a great clue so let's see what you do with it.
Bob

Collapse -
lol
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 8:11 AM PST

did u read whole post? if u want to overclock than u will let it work until artefact appear(on a certain overclock)...
i let it work on default setting til 10degrees hotter than highest ingame temperature to check if there are any artefacts... and it worked fine... not a single artefact...

Collapse -
Then I can't help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: lol

I will not discuss machines that are overclocked. Not only can it create problems that are nearly impossible to solve but can overheat parts and that's the end of it.

Unsubscribing and wishing you the best of luck finding out what's up. And yes I read the entire post but wanted to try one last time.

Good luck,m
Bob

Collapse -
big misunderstanding
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Then I can't help you.

like i said it was not overclocked... never ever...
i don't understand why u say that... i only used that tool to check is there problem with gpu... like i tested all other hardware... and i tested it on default setting...
it is just torture test... and like i said i stopped it after reaching 75degrees because it never get hotter than 65 in games...
i'm not sure how does it work and how does it increace temp... but clock never changed from default setting witch is 648mhz core, 1242mhz memory and 1476mhz shader...

Collapse -
If it fails at the normal clockings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: big misunderstanding

You have found a problem with that part. I can only guess you want it to be something else.

Yes, good hardware, with the cooling in fine shape will not buckle under this test.

I re-read your posts and it sounds like overclocking issues. But let's say it's not. Your tests should there is hardware issues. Yes it could be as simple as it's time to remove, clean heat sinks and put in new heat sink compound but I usually find folk re-installing everything before they do that.
Bob

Collapse -
it hasn't failed
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 9:14 AM PST

my whole point was to check will it fail(have any artefact) on default setting before it reaches 65degrees... i left it to work until 75degrees just in case and it had 0 artefacts...
btw computer is 4y old and gpu is 2y old so it looks like something else...
about cleaning... i cleaned it yesterday... "new heat sink" hmmm i think that will mess up my warranty... i have 1 year warranty left...

Collapse -
Warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: it hasn't failed

That's good to read. Now it's time to make it their problem.

You proved to me there is a failure. Good hardware passes the torture tests. It does not overheat and this system did and failed.

-> Now that it's under warranty, let them fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmm
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Warranty.

not quite sure we understand each other...
that software can torture gpu by increasing temperature to check are there artefacts.. torture test goes from 30-95degrees...
point of test is not to prove that hardware is overheating... it is torturing gpu to test when will artefact appear... i shut it down after 75 degrees because it showed me that gpu work just fine...
how can u say it's overheating when heat is used to torture?
if u still don't understand how it work download it and test it..

Collapse -
You gave some great clues
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm

That there is something amiss with the hardware. IF WE DON'T OVERCLOCK then a torture test will simply run and pass. If the heat goes up and you see failures you have uncovered a failure.

This failure can be something as simple as the machine's designer needing to push up the fan speeds to a need to refresh heat sink compound to out right replacing a card.

It appears you don't want to accept the failures you found.

At least it's in warranty so you have an exit.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmm
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 10:40 AM PST

pls download the tool and use this option "scan for artefacts" and check will it "run and pass"...

Collapse -
The problem with your request is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 10:45 AM PST

This app wants to install a driver. As my test machine is running well I will not do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Found a way around that driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 10:48 AM PST

The test is running so let's see.
Bob

Collapse -
Oops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 10:56 AM PST

I have no XP machines left at the office or home. I'll let it run on my test box. It's a simple thing. HP d4999t with some geforce gt 240 card Windows 7 64 bit pro.
Bob

Collapse -
Tell the forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 10:33 AM PST

If you researched the old XP DMA issue and what you did to remove that from the discussion.

Collapse -
well
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Tell the forum

i'm don't know much about that issue...
give me some links or tell me something about it...

Collapse -
The XP DMA issue is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: well

Simple. Any error and XP reduces the DMA mode. It does this silently and can lie about which mode is in use. It appears you didn't do your research so here's the quick fix link. I leave it to you to research further.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Again, as this drops, xp may not report it and you find the CPU use climbing.
Bob

Collapse -
dma
by zlix83 / December 14, 2010 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: The XP DMA issue is

i tried that dma fix and still no change...

Collapse -
Then work back to when it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: dma

Uninstall what was installed. Use the same drivers as before.

And don't keep things like ATITOOL that add a driver where such is never required for a non-overclocked work.

Also, it's very strange to ask for the CPU load to go lower during games. Why? A game patch and many other things such as windows updates, antivirus updates, firewalls and more throw those that wonder why the CPU went from 20% to 30% to lose weeks trying to figure it out.

Why is this something to fix? (you didn't tell)
Bob

Collapse -
well
by zlix83 / December 14, 2010 7:26 AM PST

i uninstalled atitool...
and about usage... i'm not exactly sure when it started but till few months ago i had usage like 5-15% in cs and now i have 40(i have some fps drops now, but i never had any in past 3.5 years).

on some games like peggle deluxe i have 60% usage, but window mode reduce it to 5-10%...

Collapse -
That usage
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: well

Has been discussed by many (which I don't duplicate here) when driver versions or windows updates.

It does cause folk to complain but what to do other than roll the machine back to before any updates and then turn off any and all updates?
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 11:06 AM PST

let me know how does it work...
if it's run and pass test than u r right...

Collapse -
Just checked it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: ok

Remember I can't allow the driver to install for ATITOOL but the test has run for 52 minutes with no errors found.
Bob

Collapse -
thx
by zlix83 / December 13, 2010 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Just checked it.

thx for all... i'm going to bed now... it's 5am here... gonna check it tomorrow...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?