PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HIGH CPU TEMP!!!

by mcallij / June 27, 2006 11:34 PM PDT

Alright, I just finished building my new system. My case temp is a nice and cozy 33-35C, but my AMD 4200+ is IDLING over 60C!!! I haven't even thought about overclocking, and I don't plan to. Why is this thing running so high, and what's the best thing I can do to bring it down? I don't want to go out and buy an aftermarket cooler yet, and I know there has to be something wrong for it to be that high. HELP!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HIGH CPU TEMP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HIGH CPU TEMP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
checklist/questions
by linkit / June 28, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: HIGH CPU TEMP!!!

Case size/model?
Number of case fans, size, and rpm?
Case intake fan blowing in?
Case exhaust fan blowing out?

What CPU heatsink model (stock, other)?
What CPU heatsink fan model, size, idle rpm, load rpm?

What CPU thermal compound used?
Used too little or too much?
Did you follow application directions PRECISELY?

PSU make & model?
Any info on PSU fan?

Current room temperature?

Collapse -
probably your cooler
by ramarc / June 28, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

first, open your case and make sure your cpu cooler (heatsink) fan is spinning when the pc is on. if it's not spinning, that's the culprit.

next, turn the pc off (and give it a bit to cool down) and check the cpu heatsink. it shouldn't wobble and you shouldn't be able to lift it off. if it does, that's the problem.

don't know what type of cooler you have, but if it came with a thermal pad, did you take the cover off? if you used paste, did you apply it properly? here's a very good instruction sheet from arctic silver (the instructions apply regardless of brand).
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Collapse -
MORE INFO
by mcallij / June 28, 2006 4:39 AM PDT

I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case, inside temp tops out at about 38C. It's the stock HSF (I don't want to void the warranty), and I took the plastic cover off the heatsink before I placed it on the processor. It doesn't wobble and isn't loose, and it doesn't even feel very warm, honestly. Not that I would because it would be stupid (and I don't have any thermal paste lying around since this is my first build), but I could take the thing out and hold it comfortably, it's not very hot. I thought that the program that came with my Asus MB might have been goofed up, but I used Speedfan and got the same result, 62C.

The only thing I can think of is this. When I was installing the heatsink, I didn't place it in the right spot the first time. When I picked it back up, some of the thermal compound was on the processor. Could I have accidentally removed some from one part of the heatsink, causing one part of the processor to get too warm? I mean, it was on there for maybe 15 secs, and then I picked it up and moved it about a 1/4 of an inch. It's my only guess.

Collapse -
i'd apply thermal paste
by ramarc / June 28, 2006 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: MORE INFO

BB, CC, cUSA, and RS all sell thermal paste.

clean up the bottom of the heatsink and top of the cpu with alcohol. apply the paste as per the artic silver instructions and you should be idling at the low to mid 40s.

Collapse -
Boxed AMD heatsinks / fans...
by GeeBee / June 28, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

...are sufficient for cooling the CPU they come with. Depending on ambient air temperatures, individual case cooling and CPU speeds, these generally allow idle @ approx 40 degrees, and full load @ around 50 or so.

So what's going on? First thing's first....the CPU temp will be reported as the same for any software you use. These only report what the hardware is telling them.

Now, you've got two possible problems and fixes as far as I can see.

1) The BIOS on your ASUS motherboard is reporting the CPU temperature wrongly. See the ASUS website for details on whether this is a documented problem, and whether an update is available to fix.

You didn't list what motherboard you've actually got, so you'll have to search yourself :

http://www.asus.com/

2) Even the marginal transfer of thermal compound you did has either left you with air pockets in the thermal transfer layer, or sections of the CPU uncovered. You can only fix this by removal and re-applying. Sadly the factory applied thermal compound is so thin you really can't resmooth it (finger in a plastic bag is a good trick for smoothing out a thermal layer that's been stippled by removal) easily, so I'd recommend getting something well reviewed like Artic Silver, if you go that route.

Both the above would mean a slightly warm heatsink and a high CPU temperature.

Good luck,

GeeBee.

Collapse -
Is it a lidded or unlidded
by Ray Harinec / June 29, 2006 6:53 AM PDT

CPU. AMD says that the lidded CPUs should use thermal paste applied mainly to the section of the lid [heat spreader] that the CPU is under. DO NOT use a phase change pad with a lidded CPU. If your HSF came with a phase change pad. Remove it, clean both HSF and CPU surface and properly apply a thermal paste.

Feel free to get thrilled and buy artic silver, however every test that I have read says that almost any thermal paste is with a few degrees of the best. Artic Silver claims that testing it early is invalid because it supposedly gets better with age. Feel free to believe them.

Collapse -
For anyone still checking on this
by mcallij / June 29, 2006 11:03 AM PDT

I called up AMD and a rep told me not to worry about the temp reading since the heatsink isn't very hot. I bought some thermal compound from RadioShack and applied it today. After that, I saw a little difference, like 2c. AMD says it's probably just a BIOS issue. Anyways, I'm not too worried about it anymore. I played a little Age of Empires last night, and the CPU temp didn't even change after a couple hours. And if something goes wrong, I can just get a new one from AMD since they said there's nothing wrong. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update...be interesting
by VAPCMD / June 29, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

to try another temp measuring device and see what it reads. I bought a $10 or $15 temp probe at Radio Shack for just such situation but really haven't had the need to try it.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!