TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Hiding wires

What ever happen to the Home theater forum on Cnet where they showed different audio/video theater setups from different homes? I enjoyed looking at the pictures and getting different ideas. I need help, I just put down a new floor, and I do not want to put holes in the floor to run wires to the next room, I will do it only if I have to. Is it best to run wires through the wall or underground? I have a crawl space. Share some of your thoughts and designs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hiding wires
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hiding wires
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best solution is always what works with least trouble.

In reply to: Hiding wires

If the new floor happens to be one of the laminate floating ones, flat style speaker wire could have gone under it.

Less hassle is important, of course. You could get through the floor with a discrete small entry hole into crawl space & likewise at the other end.

Make sure you understand which direction joists run. Almost anything can be accomplished when wanted to hard enough. Wire fishing can be nearly miraculous.

Best of luck.

Collapse -
Best solution

In reply to: Best solution is always what works with least trouble.

Thank you for the reply. There has been a "discrete hole" under the tv stand in the floor to the next room. The wires will run through the crawl space to the closet in the next room. This seemed to be the best solution to a clean look. Another hole had to be drilled for the surround sound speakers. The process is not finished yet, I will keep you posted. Once again, thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
Good. Wanted you to keep the faith.

In reply to: Best solution

I don't like facing these problems frequently, but did commit to getting a pair of rear surrounds wired by going up the front wall, across the ceiling (thankfully the joists ran parallel that way), & arounf the corner of the rear fascia. It was more facing the frustration than otherwise.

So, two (L&R) switch box size holes near bottom of the front wall, two same size just over the ceiling plane, & two just over the vertical fascia rear plane.

The room has 12 foot ceilings. Got one & borrowed one tall ladder. From ceiling near front wall, worked with gravity using common insulated electric cable 12/2 with ground as it has enough stiffnesss to manage along fairly long runs. Fished the electric cable agian horizontally along upper side of ceiling.

When the cable was fished I then used it as secure fastening surface for the speaker wire. I insesrted plastic new work boxes & attached solid plates. They are your basic nearly white plastic. The surrounding walls are more beige, but nothing sticks out like a sore thumb.

One must accept it that fishing the electric cable may not be a piece of cake & indeed may take several tries. It did take some time, but not nearly as bad as it might have been. Upon accomplishing, there was a sense of satisfaction.

Collapse -
Good Info.

In reply to: Good. Wanted you to keep the faith.

I may have to try this method. We are moving into a new house and our local technology store wants $4000. to wire the house for surround sound. Although they do a lot more than just wiring for speakers, it was still a bit much I thought.

Thanks for the info.

grc

Collapse -

In reply to: Good Info.

$4000 is ridiculous. It should cost your 1/4 of that to get a full surround setup and a pair of speakers installed in another room (or outdoors) with the wires completely concealed in-wall, and everything hooked up/working.
If you want more done, like 6 pairs, or a tv mounted, that is a different story, but if it's $4000 for basic audio wiring, thats crazy

Collapse -
=

Well I understand the desire to keep your brand new floors pristine, but if you have a crawl space, wiring under the floors is going to be the cheapest method possible. Have you looked into wall plates yet? My parents wanted to keep their new walls clean looking so I got them wall plates for their side and rear speakers for $50 or so, and they look good.
As for your dillema, through the wall and underground are the same quality. I would maybe re-evaluate your situation, keeping in mind that you will probably end up running wires through SOMETHING.
If you plan on having your wiring professionally done, look into your local electronics stores (Circuit City or Best Buy), they have a deal where you pay up front for a survey-type service, and the money you pay goes towards your install. That way you can get a professional installer to evaluate your options.

Collapse -
Hiding wires

In reply to: =

I have heard about wall plates. Are the wall plates exactly like wall outlets? If I used the wall plates to run to the next room, would it be best to run the wires through the wall or through the floor?

Collapse -
raised foundation

If you have one, that's the way to go. You don't mention what wires or cabling you're running. If you buy yourself at least a 16" bit in the 1/4 to 3/8 size and drill just above baseboard at an angle of about 80 degrees you wont need to drill the floor. You will need to patch the 1/4-3/8 wide by 2 inch gouge in the drywall though. Which is low and behind wharever is going to be infront of it. And those small scars don't even need texture.
If you want to go one step better. Cut out a whole for a box(old const.) at the same height as your existing outlets. Before installing it feed whatever you're pulling back into the wall and with a coathanger pull it up to the box location. It'll look like it's been there forever.
Running cable up walls you can locate the firestops and make 3" by 1/2" notches in the drywall to get around them as well. Then just work from the speaker hole.
I just mounted the tv in our bedroom so I need to get into my attic and run power, phone and coax to it.

Collapse -
Hiding wires

In reply to: raised foundation

Now that I have drilled holes in the floor, what is the best "hole filler" to purchase?

Collapse -
Hole filler?

I thought you were going to fill it with cables and wiring?

Collapse -
Hiding wires

In reply to: Hole filler?

I do have the wires in the hole, but I need something to fill in the small crevices. It is called keeping it "wife approved".

Collapse -
Hopefully it is out of sight. In that case a little spray

of foam insulation.

For those who can & do the wire fishing through the base of the drywall side walls, if not using some kind of cover plate, you can spackle. A little sanding afterwards & paint touch up can render it as healed.

Collapse -
Think ahead

It could have been simpler if you had thought it through before laying the floor but not all things are perfect. In this case, a little thinking ahead could make the next expansion easier. If I ever have to make a wall or floor penetration, I use the good looking plastic penetration face plates and it has enough room to add anything you might like to install in the future. Shortly after I bought my home, 20 years ago, I realized I would need to re-wire the entire house to meet the power use I anticipated and the uses I would need in the future. While removing the old two wire electrical power outlets and installing three wire (grounded) outlets, I pulled in six shielded pairs besides a shielded four wire cable to support telephone and three seventy five ohm coax cables for whatever I might need for each outlet. This has served me well and allows me to have stereo at each outlet, phone line and cable TV besides. The wall panel allowed me to pull in extra wires such as an eight wire shielded cable for ethernet to allow me a CAT5 connection for my in home network. Besides having each outlet under a current control system and ground fault interupters for protection, one outlet in each room also has a relay to allow me to switch to a UPS unit for a computer. My future addition of solar arrays on the roof and a small wind driven generator will entail some more outlets in critical areas but the wall panels still have plenty of room in them. I'm glad I thought ahead on this and made the possible expansion easy. If you have to penetrate a wall or floor, using pretty panels and outlet boxes both above and below the floor or on both sides of any wall will make you a lot happier in the future and also add to a future selling point when things are prepared for the future needs.

Collapse -
Don't don't don't

In reply to: Think ahead

Use Great Stuff. Good product, but messy as all h. Simple solution that will stay pliable could be Playdoh, to keep the bugs out I assume is the reason to keep the wife happy. You can get it at the 99 cent only stores for.... you guessed it 99 cents.
I'm sure it will dry out some, but once in and not disturbed it will hold its shape and do the job. Plus when it comes time for rearranging it will just break apart.
You may want to push in some foam before the doh so you dont push doh all the way through and it falls out in the crawl space. I would stuff foam in before using Great Stuff too if you go that way.
This is so when and if you need to reopen the hole you only have a small plug to break out then just push or pull the foam out.
This is how we do seal duct so we're not fighting major amounts of foam(we use an industrial brand, not Great stuff) and possibility damaging cable. Great stuff will stick to plastic and wood like super glue. Infact iv'e been told Gorilla glue is nothing but Great stuff in a bottle.
If you haven't used Great Stuff before I suggest practicing on cardboard to see expansion.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.