Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Hide File Names

by gequi / December 27, 2009 9:03 AM PST

When opening a folder in Explorer menu View "Hide File Names" is somtimes seen and
sometimes not.
When not seen, I cannot read the file names in extra large icons and large icons.
When seen, I can uncheck it and extra large icon and large icons file names are seen.
How could include "hide File Names" in the menu in "View"

Gequi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hide File Names
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hide File Names
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm, interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 27, 2009 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: Hide File Names

I don't know why that View menu option disappears when your files are displayed in icon mode. I've never seen the "Hide file names" option before now, so this is a recent discovery. I like those. Happy

Does this happen to the same folder? EG, you open one particular folder, and sometimes the 'Hide file names' option is there, but other times it is gone? Or does it happen randomly to all folders?

What I am thinking is, that you have managed to set this up somehow in some folder, but not others, and Vista is 'remembering' the choices.

Have you tried the old "switch" trick? Find a folder where icons are displayed but no file names, (my Vista offers this "Hide file names" for all icon sizes), goto the View icon, (not the menu bar but the bar which has "Organize, Views, Slide Show, Sharing Settings, Burn"), and select details. The names will re-appear in a details listing. Close down Explorer, reboot Vista, and try again.

Another option is to set up a folder as you wish, then go to Tools > Folder options, then the View tab, and click the "Apply to all folders" option. Or you could even try the "Reset Folders" button.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Hide File Names
by gequi / December 29, 2009 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm, interesting

First thank you Mr MarFlax for acknowledging my problem.
After recieving your e-mail I tried all your advice, but none worked.
Then I went further and discovered that this is happening only in my
extended drive. Not on any other drives. Also in the other drives in
the menu bar "view" menu NO "Hide Name Files" appears but when opening files the File Name appears.
It only happens with my extended drive file folders and usually in the first folder not the second and third sub folder. Again in opening the
second sub-folder the menu bar "View" menu one can see the "Hide File Names" with a check and I have to uncheck to see the File Names.

The extended drive in question is WD My Book 500gb.

I can live with this problem but I just wanted to try to solve it.
Tnx for your responce
Gequi

Collapse -
Well, that's even stranger.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: Hide File Names

Hi Gegui. No need for Mr... Just Mark will do, Happy

If this is only happening to a USB external hard drive that is even stranger.

No answers for you, but I have linked below to an ImageShack image of what I see of my own external USB drive. 2 images in one, the first shows a folder open which has sub-folders, and the 2nd image shows inside one of those sub-folders. In the first image the "Hide File Names" option is not listed, but in the second image, the option is listed, although it is not available because my files are listed in Detail view;
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/2160/viewlist.jpg

Perhaps that is some sort of clue? If a folder has sub-folders, the option is not displayed. If a folder does not have sub-folders, then the option is displayed, but may or may not be available.

I think at the end of the day you may have to 'go along' with this and use a workaround. If you cannot get file names to display in Icon view, then use List view or Details view instead.

I fail to see any real benefit in the option anyway. I would always want to see my file names.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?