Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hidden wallpaper following Pop-Up on XP

by dzdncnfuzed / November 3, 2004 12:30 PM PST

After receiving a popup advertizing anti-spam/virus/security software, my Windows desktop seems to be permanently changed.
We can no longer see or set the background wallpaper.
Everything else seems to be working OK.

The first symptom was the desktop seemed to be covered by one of those Security warning, 'someone is watching you 'the advertisements. We ran an Avast scan which identified a virus and removed it. After that, all we have is a blank screen as the background of our desktop. All the desktop icons are there, but we can't set a new backround. However, at shutdown or startup, the backround does show up for a few seconds before being replaced by the blank area. It's as if some program is running which overwrites it. I believe some default file was overwritten, but don't have a clue what to look for or how to recover it.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: Hidden wallpaper following Pop-Up on XP
by tazob / November 3, 2004 5:10 PM PST

similar thing happened to me. i tried all i could but finished up restoring to a previous point. seems to have worked for me.

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 3, 2004 6:43 PM PST

Check for spyware using AdAware and Spybot, Search and Destroy. You can find them through Google and they are free for the download.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / November 3, 2004 7:37 PM PST
Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / November 3, 2004 9:26 PM PST

Right click the desktop,select Properties. Click Desktop Tab, click Customize Desktop button. Click Web Tab. Look under Web Pages section. If you have some item checked there, uncheck the box.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!