TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HIDDEN TV CODES

by LIBBERTY2 / August 21, 2005 1:56 AM PDT

I have read, on line that there are special codes that can be entered by service techs. for aligning tv's?
Has anyone heard of this? If true I want the Toshiba service code.
JAY

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HIDDEN TV CODES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HIDDEN TV CODES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
verrry dangerous...
by grimgraphix / August 22, 2005 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: HIDDEN TV CODES

to mess around with the factory service codes... this will effect the programming of the computer brains that run most all modern tv sets and will void your warranty if you do something to it which results in you needing to call in a service tech. For picture tube tv image alignment, it sometimes requires to physically move the yoke on the back of the tube which presents the possibility of electrocution... even if unplugged... as the condensers can hold a sizable charge, especially on bigger sets. Also certain test equipment may be needed to properly do the job.

Finally... this kind of info is what tv repair people pay thousands of dollars for when they go to manufacturer sponsored repair classes to learn how to repair certain brands along with getting a book containing these codes. Good luck in persuading someone who spent a lot of money for this info to give it away for free.

try giving us more info as to what the problem is, what kind of tv set and how old, and do you have the original remote (you would need that anyway to get into the factory codes). May be someone can help you tweak it without getting into the sets coding.

Collapse -
Good advice
by terrmul / August 22, 2005 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: verrry dangerous...

What grim says is very good advice.

You obviously are not trained in doing this sort of work and it's not like a computer hack that can easily be reset or undone. Start messing with service codes and you better know what your settings are and how they affect your TV or you could end up with a very nice piece of non-functioning modern art, not to mention some curly hair and melted fingers if you manage to touch the HT lead.

To give you an example some of the language you would need to know are:
Blue Bias
Red Gain
Overscan
White Balance
Geometry
Needle Pulse or Hi/Lo Track
SMPTE Bars, (and what to look for).
Decoder check
and the list goes on and on.

All of this you would need to know and to top it off you would then also need about $10K's worth of equipment to make any of the adjustments meaningful. Not even the pro's eyeball this stuff.

But this is not what you want to hear right? So here's how you can get these service menus accessed and set up correctly. Call an ISF, (Image Science Foundation), certified professional calibration technician. They'll come to your house and set up your TV/Projector/Plasma/LCD to a specified standard using all the proper equipment and give you some before and after stats so you can see what's been done.

These calibrations run about $500 give or take but can be worth way more if you thought about how much more you would have to spend on a TV to get the smae amount of improvement from your picture.

These techs are in business because there are people out the that know the value of this service.

All the best,

Terry

Terry Mulholland
CEO/Owner
Beyond Home Theater
www.beyondhometheater.com

Collapse -
TV ADJUSTMENT
by LIBBERTY2 / August 22, 2005 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Good advice

I can put a test DVD in and should be able to adjust the picture to get the TV back to factory clarity.
Shipping companies bounce big heavy boxes a lot and projection TV's need a little TLC.
I do not need to adjust everything? Do I?
I do have access to the proper test equipment and know how to use it. It has been a while since I went inside a TV much less a projection TV.
JAY

Collapse -
TV CODES
by LIBBERTY2 / August 22, 2005 9:52 PM PDT

It is a DLP 62'' rear projection TV, so no hv to half to discharge. I have repaired TV's and worked in a repair shop so I know a little about what I am doing.
After shipping projection TV's need a little focus anjustment and I was told that you can do it with software, if you have the codes?
JAY

Collapse -
good info
by grimgraphix / August 23, 2005 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: TV CODES

Sorry if I was preaching to the choir Jay.

unfortunately, since I quit selling big screens 2 years ago, I don't have any expertise in the DLP technology, since they hit the stores after I blew out my back.

Try the forums at...

http://www.audioholics.com/index.html

they seem to have some wiz kids over there who might be more up to date than I. Does anyone on these boards have advice on proper set up of fresh DLP sets? I understand Jay's desire to set it up correctly along with his hesitation to get a certified tech for 1/2 a grand... in my selling experience I found that it was usually the folks on a budget that have the most enthusiasm for a/v as a hobby and the people with the filthy lucre that take it most for granted ! lol.

I do wonder, with a DLP is it a mater of physically focusing the light source, DLP chip, and lens system or tweaking the software that controls the chips micro-mirrors and color filters ?

good luck and let me know what happens.

grim

Collapse -
DLP
by terrmul / August 23, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

What's the model number?

Many DLP's have removable front panels which then expose some focus and screen adjustment pots. DO NOT ADJUST SCREEN POTS. Focus pots should do the trick.

Collapse -
HIDDEN CODES
by LIBBERTY2 / August 23, 2005 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: DLP

TOSHIBA 62HM95

Collapse -
need a little help--please.
by davidwell / July 27, 2008 2:48 AM PDT

I'm slowly learning, no school tho. I have a Sony-1997 rear projector TV, mod. #-- KP-61V45. Got it free and it works. But the pic is not so bright and have a red shadow to the right of each part of pic. I did adjust the projectors--better. And adjusted at the screen/focus adjustments.. very touchy too!! Sometimes lose to much color, not bright, not to much in focus. There are the adjustment at the tubes- should I adjust there all so?? looking for suggestions. It is a nice TV and the pic is better now, but still off. davidwellfl@yahoo.com

Collapse -
dont even go there
by stewart norrie / August 23, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

I just had my SONY kp-wv600 aligned and when the Sony tech went into the service mode, I just couldnt believe how complex it was. I know if I tried even if I knew all the codes that I would really screw up the t.v.

Collapse -
Not at this forum
by rswanson / August 23, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

You likely aren't going to find anyone who can help you here. Go to avsforum.com, look in the Display Devices forum, then Rear Projection Units. Do a search for your set's model number and look for threads on tweaks. You'll get all the info you need there, and more.

Collapse -
DLP's
by gabereyes / July 27, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

they are aligned by set screws inside the TV set not the service menu.

why not just call a service tech?

they are not like the old projections that had convergence settings, and V-pin or H-pin adjustments.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.