Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hidden startup icons

by MousePotato / August 18, 2006 5:29 PM PDT

Ever since I installed the Panda Titanium Antivirus 2006, not all startup icons appear in the tray. And this includes the Safely Remove Hardware icon. To make this Safe Removal application available, is it possible to somehow disable its startup and then later only open it manually when nessessary (maybe from the Progams/Accesories folder)?

-David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hidden startup icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hidden startup icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply : Hidden Startup Icons
by walidshrf / August 18, 2006 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Hidden startup icons

You can able or dis-able your start up icons by following these simple steps:

1. Start. Run.
2. Type in "msconfig"
3. Go to the "Startup" tab.
4. Try and find the program you are trying to dis-able.
5. Click of it.
6. Restart your PC.

That should do the trick. If you have any problems just reply.

Collapse -
A similar method I've tried
by MousePotato / August 19, 2006 7:20 AM PDT

One way that I've found of disabling 3rd-party startup apps is by using a free utility called the "Startup Control Panel".

This was helpful for things like SpamPal, and it only required using that utility to disable chosen startup apps. I then chose to launch each of these manually so that their icons are then displayed in the tray, because they sometimes require a right click.

SpamPal is one example of the apps that require this because a right click on its tray icon is the only way to open the menu and maybe choose the "Add to Blacklist" or "Add to Whitelist" command.

A few other startup apps that I now only open manually are Win Patrol, Popup Stopper, and the Cookie Monster.

Since its icon very rarely appears in the tray, where can I find a link for manually opening the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" utility?

-David

Collapse -
Hidden Startup Icons
by kuyarog / August 20, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

I tried this with Quick Time Player and the QTP icon keeps reappearing in the tray, even though I uninstalled the program. I believe Yahoo email is putting the icon in the tray. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Did you try......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 18, 2006 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Hidden startup icons

Did you try Taskbar Properties?

Right click the Taskbar and select Properties. In the window that opens, see if the "Hide inactive icons" option is ticked. If so, click the Customize button and change the default action for each icon.

Mark

Collapse -
Great method
by MousePotato / August 19, 2006 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try......

Mark,
This is a very good method and it makes it somewhat simple to configure the displays of chosen individual startup icons.

Thank You,

-David

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm glad I could be of some help.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 19, 2006 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Great method
Collapse -
One icon still fails to get into the tray
by MousePotato / August 20, 2006 3:08 AM PDT

Mark,
Your Taskbar Properties tweak worked okay for many icons, including things like the MSN Messenger, Download Accelerator, and Automatic Win Update, but I still can't get anything to display the image of the Safely Remove Hardware icon.

Do you know of any kind of Tweak Tool utility freeware that could easily enable me to change that startup configuration? I already own over 7 free tweak tools, but I've recently looked over their abilities and found no way of enabling the Safe Removal icon.

-David

Collapse -
Re: One icon still fails to get into the tray
by Tufenuf / August 20, 2006 3:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

It may be that you have no usb devices attached.

Mark

Collapse -
usb devices
by MousePotato / August 20, 2006 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

At this time, I have both the printer and the external floppy both plugged into the usb ports. But 2 other usb's that I often also like to plug in (and use) are a thumb drive and an external hard drive that I use for backup.

But I usually must shut down the system before unplugging any of these. I wish the Safe Removal icon would at least appear in the tray upon plugging anything in.

Is it safe to only use the Device Manager (and remove devices) as an alternative to the Safe Removal tool? My OS is WinXP Pro (with Svc Pk II) and I'm using the Classic desktop theme.

-David

Collapse -
My need for icon
by MousePotato / October 31, 2006 10:25 AM PST

I am trying to enable the display of the Safely Remove Hardware startup icon because I not only need to sometimes safely disconnect my printer or my external floppy, which are almost always connected, but I also occasional use of a thumb drive and a usb external hard drive enclosure. And I hate having to shut down every time I want to safely disconnect anything.
And since only 1 port of my 4-port PCMCIA card is working, I am sometimes required to disconnect either the printer or the floppy before connecting anything else such as my thumb drive and/or hard drive enclosure.
--David

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?