Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Hidden files building up in my temp internet files, 222,000

222,000+ files that cannot be seen. they're taking up 8 gb of space. what can i do to show them and delete them? i've run adaware, all those guys, and while they're scanning, i can see them scan the files, but when i go into the temp file i can't find them. they have names like..

temporary internet files/content.ei5\cpqzolzn\ca4y60sm\ca53sge.asp

some end in dll.

i *think* this is what they are. any ideas? thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hidden files building up in my temp internet files, 222,000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hidden files building up in my temp internet files, 222,000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download CCleaner

Download: CCleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows tab

Select the following:
Internet Explorer:
Temp Internet
History
Recently Typed URLs
Delete Index.dat files

System:
Empty Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Memory Dumps
Chkdsk File Fragments
Old Prefetch Data

Next: click Options click the Settings tab
Uncheck: "Only delete files older than 48 hrs.", click Ok
Then click Run Cleaner (bottom right) then Exit (reboot)

Could you get rid of the files?

Collapse -
downloaded and scanning....

In reply to: Download CCleaner

It's scanning now, has been for quite some time, so i'm sure it's having a time going through 222,000 files. hopfully it will be able to deal w/ them. i'll let you know in a sec. big thanks.

Collapse -
It might have to run overnight....

the programs seems to really be going through it. My temp folder is a challenge, so i'll let you know what happens tmrw. it'll take hours i think.

Collapse -
Alas, the program stopped running twice/not responding....

after some minutes it just stops responding. I went to task manager, ccleaner not responding. my CPU was operating at 100%. help. Happy

Collapse -
IT WORKED! I did it again and....

just took less than a minute, and walla, all clean. thank you so much. this has been plagueing (sp) me for a loooong time. big big thanks. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Rhonda, You Are Very Welcome :)

In reply to: IT WORKED! I did it again and....

Collapse -
A little confused re other settings (default)....

Have dld'd and installed CCleaner and in using setting described here-in but am confused about those not mentioned as select or unselect.
Example: Under Inernet Temp you didn't say select cookies (selected by default). Does this mean un-select or where a specific is not mentioned (Whole explorer section) should leave default (selected) as is??
Thanks for the attention ! Happy

Collapse -
Confused???

In reply to: A little confused re other settings (default)....

Hi tobeach Happy

Was NOT my intention to confuse you Wink

Does this sound "better" for you?

- Start CCleaner
- If you want to keep the Internet Explorer Cookies, then unmark 'Cookies'
- If you want to keep the Internet Explorer History, then unmark 'History'
- If you want to keep Windows Log Files, then unmark 'Windows Log Files'
- you're using Mozilla's Firefox or Internet Suite
- Click the tab Applications
- If you want to keep the Internet History, then unmark 'Internet History' under 'Firefox/Mozilla'
- Click Run Cleaner. CCleaner will search for unnecessary files and delete them.
- When that is done, close CCleaner

I have taken OUT all other defaults and put in checkmarks which I want to be cleaned.

Also look under options !

Collapse -
Thanks ! I wondered since several of the default....

In reply to: Confused???

check marks were for things I wasn't sure about(or don't understand) and wanted to be sure I wouldn't for example wipe out my settings in "desktop Ini" etc. Thanks again to you & Roddy32. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) tobeach - Glad WE could help you :)
Collapse -
Also Tobeach, you can

In reply to: A little confused re other settings (default)....

manage the cookies. I have some that I want to keep so if you click on "options" and then "cookies", you can move any that you want to keep to the right side and they won't be deleted.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.