Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hidden Files?

by rdatrader / July 9, 2004 2:16 PM PDT

Every time my C Drive is scanned the results presented list hundereds of "hideden files" (actually more than 800). Since I have the "Folder Options" set to show all files, I assume that these are something else. Is there any way to identify these "Hidden Files"?
I am running XP pro and it is up-to-date with all the MS fixes and updates.

Rich

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hidden Files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hidden Files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hidden Files?
by Papa Echo / July 9, 2004 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Hidden Files?
Every time my C Drive is scanned

Scanned for what ?
Collapse -
by rdatrader / July 9, 2004 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Hidden Files?

Sorry, for the confusion-- Every time I run a CHKDSK, either from a command prompt or at boot, the resulting listing indicated that there are hundreds of "hidden files" on the drive--at latest check 613 on the "C" add 805 on the "D" drive. Since the folder options are set to Show Hidden Files, I was wondering what and where these hidden files are?

Rich

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / July 9, 2004 11:51 PM PDT

Rich, Go into Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", click Apply/OK. That should give you access to the hidden files you're missing but I wouldn't mess around with these files.

HTH,
Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 10, 2004 12:32 AM PDT

There is something missing: How about posting that full result of the chkdsk ?

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 9, 2004 10:08 PM PDT
Every time my C Drive is scanned the results presented list hundereds of "hideden files" (actually more than 800). Since I have the "Folder Options" set to show all files, I assume that these are something else.

Does "hidden" mean they aren't seen or does it mean files which have the "hidden" type attribute set? What do you see listed in that column in Explorer?
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 10:27 PM PDT

Explorer is not a file and directory browser. It's something that shields users from such.

Maybe you should try a file and directory browser like Gyula's Navaigator?

Bob

Collapse -
Never assume...
by Edward ODaniel / July 10, 2004 4:34 AM PDT

If you can look in the attributes column of your Windows Explorer and see files with the H attribute and you have set Explorer to show hidden files it is working right.

If you then run chkdsk on the drive and it shows something like 640457856 bytes in 872 hidden files then it too is working exactly as designed.

Why? Even though you have set Windows Explorer to "show" hidden files the H (hidden) attribute is still set. This is important because some few programs "expect to see" specific files in specific locations and the H attribute prevents most utilities such as defrag from moving them to a location that "upsets" the application when it goes looking and can't find the file at the expected location.

Collapse -
Re: Never assume...
by rdatrader / July 10, 2004 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Never assume...

Thanks Edward,

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Rich

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!