Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Hibernation feature in Windows

by anarghya_mitra / February 18, 2008 5:26 AM PST

Hi everybody. I have to turn on my laptop on and off several times in 1 day, so I choose to hibernate instead of booting every time as hibernation is faster. Can this repeated hibernation have a negative effect on my PC's performance in the long run?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hibernation feature in Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hibernation feature in Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No noticeable performance hit
by 1TC / February 18, 2008 6:18 PM PST

My laptop (Thinkpad T60) only restarts when it applies some Windows updates and requires restarting. I never restart the computer for other reason for more than one year and I never notice any performance hit.

Collapse -
One time so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 9:16 PM PST

The laptop was behaving oddly so I rebooted. It hadn't been rebooted in months. I would not pass up hibernate just because of the occasional need to really reboot.

Bob

Collapse -
I do reboot
by anarghya_mitra / February 19, 2008 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: One time so far.

I DO reboot, maybe like once in a week or so.

Collapse -
Hibernation feature in Windows
by mlawson3 / February 22, 2008 11:16 AM PST

tell me what brand of laptop you have and the specs and I'll tell you the problem. 1st off go to control panel and select power and make sure you specify "always ON" and unless you need it 24/7 and require no sleep i suggest you turn it off or reboot when you are ready to got to sleep!!!!!

Collapse -
Sony Vaio
by anarghya_mitra / February 22, 2008 12:17 PM PST

with specs -
Intel core 2 Duo 2 Ghz
Windows Vista Home Premium
2 GB RAM
Intel 965 series chipset
Intel GMA X3100

I usually reboot at night, and turn it on again in the morning.

Collapse -
no
by shebeeb1900 / February 22, 2008 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: Sony Vaio

i think hibernation is best because i it is very faster but reboot is needed even twice in a month

Collapse -
ignore mlawson
by froasier / February 23, 2008 12:47 AM PST

I don't think Anarghya had a problem with power management settings. No specs or adjustments are necessary. Anarghya, stick with what you are doing, it's fine.

Collapse -
Standy is faster.
by teckk / February 23, 2008 3:35 AM PST

I would not hibernate it, I would put it to standby or sleep. Just opening the lid will wake it. You will have to reboot a windoze machine every so often. APM seems to work well on XP though.

Collapse -
Hibernating is faster
by JoMilton / February 23, 2008 7:23 AM PST

I have an Acer laptop - getting on. Battery totally dead so it's now a de facto desk top pc.
From time to time you HAVE to reboot, depending on your installed software. Norton often requires a reboot to settle updates for example.
If your RAM is a bit low, or you have too many programs in your start up menu then rebooting can be a time consuming pain. It used to take me ages (I run XP, not Vista) so I avoided rebooting if I could help it. Then I got 1GB of Ram on top of the original 256GB and boot up time halved.
I was advised to run a weekly disk check on my pc to keep the hard drive in good nick. This requires a reboot. I don't know if you have to do that on Vista, but I was told it was sensible practice for my laptop.
I'm not very techie, but I do know that a reboot can free up resources that haven't been released by some program or another that you've been running. I think the proof of this is that I cannot switch users back and forth on my lap top unless it's recently been rebooted. It runs out of resources after a while and freezes on a black screen when I try to switch back and forth.

I set my laptop to sleep when I close the lid. Opening the lid starts it up again - and I just need to enter my password. I tend to save my powering right down for bed time when I won't need to use the laptop for several hours. It can be booting up again while I'm getting my breakfast ready. As I have dial up there is no point in leaving the pc on all hours to do automatic updates since no one can phone me while I'm using the net.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?