General discussion

Hibernate Option under "turn off Computer"

i have 2 laptops both running WinXP-SP3. In one lappy, when i click on the 'turn Off Computer" under the start option, I get 4 options to "Hibernate, Standby, turn Off, restart" however under the second lappy, there are only 3 options, which excludes the hibernate option.

I realize I can press shift to flip between Standby/Hibernate, but would rather have a permanent button for it. Appreciate help on how to do this.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hibernate Option under "turn off Computer"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hibernate Option under "turn off Computer"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ahh, this could be difficult

I Googled, XP How to add hibernate to the Shutdown options and found a number of links.

The first one I tried was this;
http://www.astahost.com/info.php/Add-Hibernate-Shutdown-Menu_t12073.html
but I am not at all sure the information there is that useful.

I also found Microsoft guidance here, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893056 , but their guidance is to apply a "Hotfix", and then amend XP's registry. However, the hotfix file is not available for download and Microsoft says that you must contact them for it.

So, this doesn't seem too easy, but you may have better luck with your own research.

Mark

- Collapse -
tried the hotfix, No Go.

many tnx mark for your help. I did a Google as well before posting, and got similar results. I tried the hotfix, (you just enter your email on the next page and they email you the fix instantly).

The fix gave me an error that the service pack I have is newer thn this fix, hence is I couldn't install the fix. this brings me back t square one unfortunately.

- Collapse -
Here's what I did.

I used the control panel, POWER options and changed the "what the computer does when you press the power button" to HIBERNATE. Now it's just a push button away.
Bob

- Collapse -
Its an idea, but.....

ya, I prefare to keep the power button as is. Im sure there is a small trick to it, somehow.

We just gotta figure it out

CNET Forums