Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HI8 conversion to digital (dvd)

by crupi8 / July 19, 2004 10:27 AM PDT

I currently own a Sony ccd-trv81 Hi-8 camcorder. I have about 12 (2hr) tapes that need conversion to dvd. I can't decide on whether to 1) invest in Canopus device and convert on my computer 2)pay someone to convert and buy a new camcorder or 3) buy a new camcorder that would allow me to convert analog hi8 tapes to digital format and burn to dvd's.
What camcorder in today's market would enable the third option ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HI8 conversion to digital (dvd)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HI8 conversion to digital (dvd)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HI8 conversion to digital (dvd)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 10:53 AM PDT

For Hi8, you are very much "stuck" with a Hi8 player. At some 15 bucks per 2 hour tape, then you have a balancing act to figure out.

For me, the 50 buck Hauppaugge or ATI will capture the video, the audio is via the sound card. All the DVD recorders I have for the PC come with DVD creation software and run from a low of 79 to 119 dollars.

I've done a few now and for me, it was painless.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Hi8-digital Conversion
by pavinnu / June 22, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

Hi Bob:

I saw your reply could not completely understand what I need to do.I am not very good with the jargon so, could you maybe explain in detail.

Collapse -
Old post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi8-digital Conversion

The prices are now even lower. But in a nutshell you use a PCI TV/Capture card to digitize the video. I will not detail any deeper since such instructions come with such cards.

The next step is to create a DVD. DVD recorders are now cheaper, but get one with DVD creation software. Again, no more detail is required since it comes with the package.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: HI8 conversion to digital (dvd)
by drhiberd / July 25, 2004 3:05 AM PDT

Check out Sonystyle.com, you can get a Digital 8 camcorder that plays back old 8mm tapes. I think the model # is TRV460.

Collapse -
Conversion of Hi8 Tapes
by rcjglobal / May 7, 2005 11:32 PM PDT

How can I convert Hi* tapes to a digital format?

Collapse -
You ask...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2005 12:00 AM PDT

"How can I convert Hi* tapes to a digital format?"

No one can tell. You didn't reveal what you have to work with.

Bob

Collapse -
Hi * conversion
by rcjglobal / May 8, 2005 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: You ask...

I have several Hi-8 tapes and no camcorder. How do I convert theem to digital images on my com,puter?

Collapse -
You'll need a hi-8 player.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2005 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi * conversion

And then some analog video capture card. Write back when you solve the hi-8 tape play issue.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.