HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Hi8 camcorder

by Tylerbl / March 23, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

I have a hi8 samsung camcorder, i want to start vlogging but i don't know how to convert my footage to my computer. I don't have a firewire/usb pot. How can i do it inexpensively? I would rather not get a Dazzle
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hi8 camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hi8 camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi8 camcorder

"I don't have a firewire/usb pot. How can i do it inexpensively? I would rather not get a Dazzle"

Ok, most hi8 camcorders had no digital or firewire connection. And you appear to have no digitizer as well. Maybe a webcam is the cheap fix?

Bob

Collapse -
digitalizer
by Tylerbl / March 23, 2008 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you have?

is there any cheap digitizers i can get

Collapse -
I can't answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: digitalizer

I don't live where you do. Also you didn't note what country you are in and what you consider "cheep".

Collapse -
Why convert to your computer?
by BDR_13 / March 28, 2008 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you have?

I have Hi8 camcorder as well and tried to utilize the Pinnacle Dazzle converter (many attempts, some sucessful) but the results are poor video quality and it takes forever to edit and burn a DVD afterwards: very very tedious for a result not so great. Here is what I did: I bought a table-top DVD recorder (Philips DVD R3575H/37) and I plug my camcorder right into the DVD recorder via the composite video cable (which I amsure you have ports for on your Hi8 camcorder). That is fast and easy and the quality is great if choose the Maximum quality setting. Just make sure to buy a good brand DVD recorder: in my mind that is Philips, Panasonic or Sony, and that's it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.