HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

hi, owner of acer 5740g

by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

Long story but cutting it short I wanted to use erecovery for a factory restore which I have successfully done once before,laptop running Windows 7, was working prior to running erecovery but using erecovery through Windows it stalled at 53% so I rebooted and had to use the alt and F10 hidden partition erecovery which also stalled at 53%, will recovery cd if I buy them also stall at 53%. Help please

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hi, owner of acer 5740g
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hi, owner of acer 5740g
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Next step are the recovery DVDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 1:40 AM PDT

Acer supports creating them but many pass it up. Order them if you forgot or lost them.

Other issues are: Not a stock set of RAM (hint: use stock sticks) and any USB device can cause recovery to fail (hint: unplug all USB things.)

Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
no usb connected
by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 2:50 AM PDT

Thanks mate but no usb devices connected, just the power adaptor. My worry is do I pay 50 for recovery cds when my worry is that they should stall at the same point, any ideas of how likely this may be.

Collapse -
Sadly..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: no usb connected

You had the chance to create these for much less. If you feel the laptop is not worth 50 then don't invest in that.

Good luck and maybe you could run Linux on it?
Bob

Collapse -
i should have
by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly..

Created them but my question is, is it likely that the recovery disks will succeed where erecovery fails. i.e is erecovery notorious but the cds come to the rescue

Collapse -
plot thickens, my other half
by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: i should have

Claims to have created some and believe it or not just found them.its saying something about corrupted and checksum error.no idea what that means.

Collapse -
That's not good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 6:01 AM PDT

There are bootable CDs that you can test the hard drive with. Be dispassionate about whether the drive is good or not. I see folk lose months over a failed drive as they write "it can't be bad."

Let the drive tests tell us. Here's a boot cd with the test -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bootable+cd+hard+drive+test

Again, be sure no USB things are plugged in and it's the stock BIOS settings and RAM.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks bob
by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: That's not good.

Which test would be the most appropriate for my predicament or perhaps tell me the most about where my problems lie .

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks bob

ANY TEST would be a good one at this point. I'm unsure what stopped you from getting the hard drive test done.

Collapse -
what stopped me
by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

Was the hard drive actually working prior to the decision to restore to default. I have ordered rescue cds and will run ultimatebootcd to check hdd.my question is do I need to format the hdd and kill the hidden partition containing the version of erecovery before installing or using the cds or will the recovery cd wipe the hidden partition in the process of installation. Many thanks.

Collapse -
"do I need to format the hdd and kill the hidden partition c
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: what stopped me

"do I need to format the hdd and kill the hidden partition containing the version of erecovery before installing or using the cds or will the recovery cd wipe the hidden partition in the process of installation. Many thanks."

No. I've never bothered. I boot the restore media and follow the directions.
Bob

Collapse -
ok preliminary results
by cfcdoc / September 7, 2010 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: That's not good.

Have not got a clue what this means but I ran tstdsk through parted magic and it mentioned too many cylinders per head and too many tracks per sector. What??????

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: ok preliminary results
Collapse -
hi bob, i tried using the
by cfcdoc / September 7, 2010 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Western digital HS test and it said no drive attached. I used the wd test as its western digital. The tstdsk not only identified but scanned the drive. Any help on what else on ubcd I could use to help my predicament would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Try others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 9:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
i purchased a while back an original xp home sp2 install
by cfcdoc / September 6, 2010 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly..

Disc but got an error msg, would the laptop need a newer operating system , can't see why the hard drive would be wrecked, clutching at straws.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.