Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Hi. It has been a while for me but I had to post

by KeyStroke / September 9, 2007 1:31 AM PDT

I've been gone for a while but I had to come back and post here when I heard about the end of the Net-Neut effort. http://news.com.com/8301-13578_3-9773538-38.html

As you old-timers know, I've been against Net-Neut. This is because it is opposite of my (Ron Paul advocating) Libertarian viewpoints.

I won't re-hash my arguments yet again but I guess those in favor of government regulation of the Internet can consider this a "gloat post".... OK, it really is one.

I think you will find that service-differentiation (once it does arrive) to be a good thing and not a bad thing.

Don't remember this as a loss, remember it for what it is: our government choosing to stay out of the business of over-regulating commerce. You may not like it now, but you will be thankful for this one day.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
(NT) over-regulating like handing out monoply licenses?
by irafreight / September 9, 2007 2:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
yeah; also, only when consumers learn to live without...
by shawnlin / September 9, 2007 3:12 AM PDT

yeah; also, only when consumers learn to live without luxuries like cable tv, etc. will they be able to have a spine to demand what we'd currently consider ultra-high speed broadband.

History does show that changes will happen...but not as fast as progressive minded people would like...

As much as I'm worried about some of Google's intentions - I think it would be amazing if they jumped in the ISP business with all that dark fiber and scare the crap out of the bigger ISP's. although, I'm not sure how much market share would be possible with the amount of dark fiber they could turn on...

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
How can anyone be for an idea that can only
by Alegoo92 / September 9, 2007 3:27 AM PDT

hurt them as consumers?

I can identify as libertarian.. doesn't mean I support a tiered internet structure.

Alex

Collapse -
such a difficult issue...
by shawnlin / September 9, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

yeah, i see what you mean - i think there will be difficulties for consumers early on - then, not so much.

still, the thing that seems most worrying to consumers is the lack of an analogy they can get their minds around. I don't know how electricity or water systems are split up for residential areas vs. business areas - but that may provide some historical data for one side of the argument or the other. I'm not sure if those utilities are tiered in all or some cases...

hmmm...I guess I'll have to read into just what was decided on and what wasn't...

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
(NT) Nice to see you after soo long Jack!
by udayan71 / September 9, 2007 3:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) ditto - great to hear from you! :)
by shawnlin / September 9, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!