Computer Help forum

Question

hi is it possible

by DEMON0062 / December 18, 2011 5:57 AM PST

i wonder if i could obtain a dual graphics cable so as to use 2 screens or do i need to buy a graphics card with 2 ports just a question

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hi is it possible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hi is it possible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: dual monitor
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: hi is it possible

I'd buy a graphic card with 2 ports. That works, and it has the advantage that you can set them to display different content.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
While you could get a second card ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 18, 2011 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: hi is it possible

many of the newer computers don't have a lot of open slots for additional graphics cards.

If this is your situation you might consider a USB graphics adapter such as this one (or one of the many others you can find via a google search:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Multiple-2048x1152-1920x1200-DisplayLink/dp/B0038P1TP4/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+graphics

If you decide to go this route be sure to carefully read the specs for each adapter you consider to make sure you are getting one that supports the resolution you require.

Collapse -
hi
by DEMON0062 / December 18, 2011 7:31 AM PST

but would the adapter thing allow me to use both monitors independently ?

Collapse -
We don't know your system
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: hi

Care to tell us what you have? Make, Model and specs. And which OS? It may be that your existing card already has two ports for two monitors.

And what do you mean by 'two monitors independently"? You need to be clear what you need.

For example a video splitter will just give you two monitors with the same display on each. Everything you do will be repeated on the two screens.

Two monitors connected to one card, or one each to two cards will give you the option of "Extending your desktop" to the 2nd monitor. That means a dual monitor setup where the OS display extends over to both monitors and you can move windows across and back and forth.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) specs as requested
by DEMON0062 / December 18, 2011 8:24 AM PST
Collapse -
After all this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: specs as requested
Collapse -
THANX TO ALL
by DEMON0062 / December 18, 2011 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: After all this.

i have finally found a way to have the dual screen display i wanted via my hdmi port which i feel quite stupid about because i should have thought of it before but never mind i got it now

Collapse -
Yes you can ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 18, 2011 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: hi

from the first link I offered is this about the product:

------------------------------------------------- Begin Quote ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Description
Featuring DisplayLink's top-of-the-line DL-195 USB 2.0 graphics chipset, the Plugable UGA-2K-A enables multiple monitors with any laptop or desktop (one adapter required per monitor, up to 6 on Windows). Most people use it to gain a 3rd or 4th monitor for their laptop. You get the full benefits of USB, including plug and play connectivity, thin and flexible cabling, and ability to connect many devices via standard USB hubs. Multitask with a dedicated monitor for each document or application.

Performance

USB graphics adapters work by rendering 2D/3D with your computer's CPU and GPU, and then compressing and transmitting the pixels that change over USB. Dual core or 2Ghz or better CPU recommended. Recommended for web and applications, not 3D gaming or motion video playback.

Drivers

Windows 7/Vista/XP drivers installed automatically via Windows Update. 32 and 64 bit supported for both Vista and Win7. Microsoft's low-end Vista Home Basic and Win7 Starter Edition disable multiple monitors and are not supported. GPU is used for 2D/3D rendering on Windows, requiring Intel, nVidia, or ATI primary WDDM driver, with Aero enabled. Not recommended for use with Mac (beta drivers only). Open source available for Linux and other platforms. Linux requires xorg.conf editing - for advanced users only.

Connectivity

The adapter package includes the main USB 2.0 to DVI-I adapter, USB 2.0 cable, and hardware adapters for the different connector types (DVI-I to VGA/D-Sub and DVI-I to HDMI). HDMI connections are graphics only - this adapter has no audio function. Supports monitors and PC-compatible TVs up to 2048x1152 or 1920x1200 (1920x1080 VGA). Powered via USB and the adapter has an LED indicator light.

------------------------------------------------- <b>End
Quote</b> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see from later posts that you aren't going to actually need this but I have posted it in the event that you might decide you need additional monitors or multiple monitors on a system with only a VGA connector and no HDMI.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?