TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Hi guys I need help adjusting my Sony NX700 hdtv

by AngelottiNL / September 23, 2013 7:12 PM PDT

Hi guys,

I really need some help adjusting my tv picture settings.
I already changed a few settings to make the colors look better, however my problem is that as soon as i switch back to my decoder (which is connected by hdmi) all the changed settings are gone.
I tried a few things, but it keeps losing my adjustments when i switch back to my decoder.
I contacted sony and they tell me i cant change the picture settings for an hdmi device?
According to Sony, the tv cant alter colors because it has to be done by my decoder.
However when i pick a different scene (sports, general, or game) my colors do change!
Even when i hit the good old cinema button all the settings are way better..
So in my opinion there must be a way to change it, right?
I guess when someone calibrates a tv they are using an dvdplayer or blurayplayer as well..so hdmi may not be the problem?
According to sony i have to use the internal tuner for it!
This really is not an option for me, because the decoder (settopbox) offers me a lot of options i use.
Recording and rewinding live tv for example.

Is there anyone out here who can help me out?
That would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for any grammar errors.. im dutch.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hi guys I need help adjusting my Sony NX700 hdtv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hi guys I need help adjusting my Sony NX700 hdtv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please give decoder make/model (n/t)
by Pepe7 / September 24, 2013 12:21 AM PDT

n/t

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Settop box
by AngelottiNL / September 24, 2013 2:09 AM PDT

The settop box im using is an Humax iHDR-5200c.
But is this really true?
Can i not change the color settings over an hdmi input signal?
The thing i dont understand is than, when im watching television, and i choose another "scene" or ehen i use th cinema button, the colors do change.. So correct if im wrong.. It should be possible, right?

Collapse -
I did not read the Sony manual. But
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Settop box

Another make I know of has the settings apply to say HDMI 1. If I switch to HDMI 2 then the settings are for HDMI 2 and not HDMI 1. Each set of inputs on those HDTVs are for those inputs. If I have 5 sets of inputs I get 5 groups of settings.

I've seen folk lose all senses and turn red as they try to comprehend that.
Bob

Collapse -
Hdmi 1
by AngelottiNL / September 24, 2013 2:37 AM PDT

Ok, that does sound reasonable.
However.. I have an onkyo 608 (av receiver) hooked up to the hdmi 1 port.
And my settopbox is connected to the onkyo receiver. My xbox is also connected to the onkyo.
So basically my av receiver is on hdmi 1, with all the components hooked up to it.
So what i want to do, is to tweak my picture settings on hdmi 1, to get better colors.
This only works partially, cause it makes a big difference, however when i switch to the decoder, all the colors are different again.
Ok i have to admit im new to this, but i just want the picture settings changed for watching television.
I dont really care that the settings for playing on my xbox should be slightly different.
I dont game that much anyway.

I could hook up my settopbox on the tv itself ofcourse, however i dont think i have surround sound than, because only hdmi1 has audio return channel. Right?

Collapse -
Which is why....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Hdmi 1

Which is why some TVs (not all) allow you to create profiles. That is, some (not all) have this capability.

Since each source can vary that's why the TVs did that. Again, I didn't read this make's manual but look around for that.

To ease the switching, look up the Logitech Harmony.

Collapse -
Scenes
by AngelottiNL / September 24, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is why....

I think you are talking about the scenes, right?
My tv has a few scenes, like, sports, gaming, photo, cinema..
The funny thing is, changing the scene affects the colors, however, the settings that i have changed, i cant save them to a new profile.
So what you do with this tv, you are basically editing a scene.
Well i did that, but guess what.. As soon as i switch to my settopbox.. It looks like my settings are getting overruled or something.

Do i need to hook the settopbox up to my tv? On, lets say hdmi2?
Or do i need to dive into my onkyo settings?
Thanks for the help so far, but it frustrates me.
Especially when sony tells me, you cant change picture settings on an hdminput. Period.
Thats just not true, because if it was true, changing to any of the other scenes wouldnt work either..

Collapse -
Should have scenes and at least one custom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Scenes

Sorry but without the manual I can't check it out. And folk always post incorrect model numbers so with over half the time me getting the wrong manual I let you supply the manual link.

Hope you understand.
bob

Collapse -
Manual
by AngelottiNL / September 24, 2013 3:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Link shows the custom setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Manual
Collapse -
custom setting
by AngelottiNL / September 24, 2013 3:19 PM PDT

Hmm according to that page there is indeed.
However i dont think there is in my tv.
Not sure if that is because im in the netherlands or not, or maybe im just wrong.
Im at work right now so i cant check at this moment.
I will do that when im off.
But i have a few different scenes than described here..
When i try to select the scenes when watching tv i cannot select any custom scenes.
Or there should be a different way to select that profile instead of the 'scene' button on my remote? Perhaps im doing it wrong?

Collapse -
That's why I have folk find the manuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: custom setting

If you find this isn't the right manual, just correct it with a new reply to the top post and we'll try again.

Collapse -
not sure how..
by AngelottiNL / October 3, 2013 2:53 AM PDT

Not sure how i eventually did it, but i think my problem is solved.
For some reason i successfully tweaked the colorsettings Happy
Thanks for helping me out here! Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the report and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2013 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: not sure how..

And thanks for understanding why I ask folk to help along with the discussion.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.