Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HI-DEF 3D

by stewart norrie / May 24, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

WHY NOT,I have seen all the 3-d movies with the cheap cardboard glasses and the effect was awsome. Many years ago one of my local stations broadcast Creature From the black Lagoon 7-11 gave away the glasses and even with the anolog t.v. I had at the time the 3-d effect was good. So with a hi-def t.v. 3-d should be mindblowing, And yes I contacted many stations like cnet etc etc and I guess they feel just like you nice folks here that Iam an just an old nut case HAVE A NICE DAY ALL stewart

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HI-DEF 3D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HI-DEF 3D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HI-DEF 3D
by sbrasch99 / May 24, 2006 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: HI-DEF 3D

Poor Stewart: If you like 3D just go outside and open your eyes, its free.

Marc

Collapse -
STEWART IS JUST " BLINDED BY SCIENCE."
by Riverledge / May 24, 2006 8:57 AM PDT

3-D WHAT..........?

Collapse -
DAN COULD YOU NOT TRANSFER ?
by stewart norrie / May 25, 2006 6:58 AM PDT

These 3-D movies to hi-def 1080I . I also saw Hauntrd house in Vegas I-max 3D So my question is if the movies are already done in 3-D why would it be that expensive to transfer them to 1080I hi-def. By the way Mars Mission on Discovery channel are showing some shots in 3-D I picked up 4 free pairs at the Discovery store here in the bay area. and the 3-D effect was beautiful. I still think it would be a cool idea. I have seen most 35m.m. films at the theater in 3-D and I really enjoyed the effect and with a good hi-def t.v. you have a picture that is as good as film so it should really look awsome. in closing I know some of you like to put me down and think Iam stuped but I at least come up with ideas. and dreams. Dan is one of the pros here and I believe he knows where Iam coming from TOSHIBA RULES ha ha ha

Collapse -
It's a matter of cost vs. return
by Dan Filice / May 25, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

Yes, any movie on film can easily be transferred to 1080 HD if you can get to the original film material. Up-Rezing from a video master isn't the best idea. Anyways, if a studio spends $10,000 on re-transferring a film negative (yes, it's easy to spen that and more on a good film transfer), and if they spend even more doing a 3-D film, then they will want to get a return on their money. The number of people interested in 3-D isn't enough to justify the costs. I love 3-D, but as an occassionally entertainin medium. I went to the 3-D film festival a few years ago in Hollywood where they showed dozens of films that were shot in 3-D. A lot of people attended, but in the scope of things, you and I may be the exception to the rule. Personally I really enjoyed Vincent Price in "House of Wax" and "Thirteen Ghosts" and "Creature from the Black Lagoon." Stewart, I'm saying too much. I think the men in white coats are coming for me. Gotta go!

Dan

Collapse -
Dear "Nut Case"...
by Dan Filice / May 25, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

"Nut Case"...That's very funny Stewart Happy The primary reason that 3-D isn't done is because of the cost and the limited audience and the hardware (glasses) needed to make 3-D work. Whether the glasses are the old Blue-Red or the gray polarized style, glasses are glasses and most people don't want to use them to make 3-D work. Also, to make 3-D really work, the footage needs to be shot with multiple cameras (two), which would drive production costs through the roof. Films not originally shot for 3-D can be digitally process to create 3-D, but again, the costs in post-production to do this are stiff. Doing 3-D is too big of a pain to do for a very limited audience. At the recent NAB (Nat' Assoc of Broadcasters) show in Vegas last month, I saw 3-D done in High-Def. Wow, it was stunning! NHK (in Japan) shot footage for the demo. Again, multiple cameras were used. The demo and this 3-D process from NHK in general is aimed at theme parks so they can do simulation shows like "Terminator 3-D", "A Bug's Life 3-D", etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!