Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hi Cindi and all,

by Sasha Tee / February 26, 2007 11:14 PM PST

My computer suddenly "died" and I bought a new HP with Vista installed. I've been to the Vista forum, but I would like to check with anybody here who is running Vista. So far I can't use my HP Photosmart printer, HP digital camera or Sony digital camera. I don't have the courage to plug in the Ipod or flash mp3 player yet. I'm almost ready to switch back to XP but then all the help I got and all the time I spent setting up this computer would be wasted. HP has NO help available at this time.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hi Cindi and all,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hi Cindi and all,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
thanks Mark, but
by Sasha Tee / February 26, 2007 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: look here

The drivers aren't the problem - it's the software and this is what HP wrote to me in response to my photo printer. I imagine the same applies to their camera.
"Marilyn, at this point of time I wish I could have provide you the
Software for Windows Vista. Due to the limitations and incompatibility
in Windows Vista operating system, it would take some time to release
complete Driver/Software for your Product."

Collapse -
Oh, dear.
by Angeline Booher / February 26, 2007 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: thanks Mark, but

I can stand corrected, but it sounds as if HP sold new PCs with Vista forethought of the compatibility of their own products with it. Very strange. I know my HP printer and Visiioneer scanner are not compatible with other OSs. But Vista is a Windows OS. Weird! But maybe the software you used to install your products are too out of date for Vista, ans they haven't come up with a download or CD yet. Or it's planned obsolescence. Happy

Have you tried contacting Sony to see if maybe their solution would solve the others?

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Hi Angeline,
by Sasha Tee / February 27, 2007 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, dear.

It looks like HP wants us to buy their "vista ready" products. I could return the computer and start over, or maybe bite the bullet and buy a new camera and if I absolutely have to, replace the old laser jet. I'll wait for a fix for the photo printer since that's fairly new. The Sony digital is probably about 7 years old and I still have nightmares remembering what it took to get that up and running when I switched computers a while ago. I haven't found anything so far that would encourage me to recommend Vista to anybody.

Collapse -
Everything I've been reading
by TONI H / February 27, 2007 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Angeline,

about hardware at this point is that new computers with new motherboards (and older..although relatively new) cases that you might use to build your own) will have mobos that have done away with IDE controllers, floppy drive controllers, serial ports, parallel ports and 50% of the PCI slots (in addition to doing away with AGP video card slots...going with PCIExpress instead), so that you end up having to replace every piece of hardware currently being used that are still perfectly good and in working condition.

I have two mobos that have four IDE controllers and three to four SATA controllers in addition to seven PCI slots....and every single port and slot is being used. Five harddrives (three SATA with one SATA controller still available and two IDE) plus two DVD-cdrw drives. A serial port can be used for an older mouse or even a hardware external dial up modem....a parallel port can be used for either a printer or a scanner or both.

If you have to go entirely to USB devices rather than be able to continue to use your older but still dependable devices, you will need at least five or six USB ports...or you have to use up one of the three PCI slots those new mobos give you to install an additional USB port card. Now add in a dial up modem into another PCI slot and you have one left. Have your onboard sound go south on you or not be adequate and you want a better sound card, there goes your last PCI slot. There isn't any more option to put in a Promise IDE controller for IDE devices because your PCI slots are all used up. Forget about having a real good video capture card that requires a PCI slot so there goes your graphics development ability because you may not be happy with the expensive PCIExpress video card that uses capturing programs you don't care for or because it just doesn't do the job the same effective and efficient way your current card does.

Not to mention that Vista and all devices (sound, video, dvd drive) and programs installed will all be DMR controlled....and to the point that if any of them even SUSPECT during their detection process that what you are trying to do is 'piracy', whether it's completely innocent or not, you will have a trashed system as things begin to turn off behind your back and beyond your control.

I'll stick with XP....and will just buy my replacement hardware as I can find it on the internet so as something dies as hardware will, I will have backup hardware that I KNOW works for me and gives me ALL of my current options. I'm not buying all that new stuff to satisfy MS or the RIAA. Somewhere along the line, enough is enough with technology, and I'm hanging on to what I want knowing it works. I don't need industries to tell me what's best for me. MS can keep their "WOW" commercials for people who buy into it. I'll keep building my own for a long time to come.

If I ever do have to go to Vista and all the rest of the new technology that dictates to me, it will be for a system that only gets on the internet and allows me to keep my website. My REAL system will be a backup still using XP, without internet access since I won't need the stupid updates for it after 2012 when it ceases to exist anyhow, and all my hardware and software that keeps on trucking.

TONI

Collapse -
I admit ....
by Angeline Booher / February 27, 2007 2:10 AM PST

.... I don't understand the terms you used (I know I could look them all up). I suspect that by the next decade it will be a different world when it comes to home computing machines. It looks to me like they have been continually including tasks that were formerly only targeted to professionals. IMO, digital cameras and being able to make prints, burning CDs and DVDs are great. So are some others.

But as a home user ONLY, I have no interest in watching TV on my PC (I don't criticize those who do.) I'm not a gamer, so don't need those accelerators (I THINK that is what they are for.) Happy IOW, my needs are simple.

(I am somewhat surprised that it looks like a fax feature, which came with my W95, is either not available or costs extra. (Mine never worked. I could receive, but not send more than the cover page.)

So my next machine will be my last. I might not be around for another decade, and so I just want my simple needs simply filled.:-)And I NEVER want another sub-woofer. Mine has to sit on the floor under the desk, and catch ed dust.

I MIGHT be tempted to go with a wireless keyboard and mouse, though. Happy

Collapse -
Hi Toni,
by Sasha Tee / February 27, 2007 8:34 AM PST

I wish I read this before I bought the computer. Then I would have had Vista removed and XP installed. I have already run into an instance where I was not allowed to play a song that came from one of my own cds. I didn't understand everything you wrote, but now I have an idea why there was no place to plug in my ancient laser jet printer with it's great big plug. Thanks.

Collapse -
Hi Sasha Tee
by Cindi Haynes / February 27, 2007 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Cindi and all,

I'm sorry, but I can't help you. Sad

My new notebook computer does run Vista, but all my peripherals worked with it. My HP printer is an all-in-one. While HP did not have full software to work with Vista, Vista did have a driver built in for basic operations. It was actually easier to get it to work with Vista than with HP drivers and software! My phone/Outlook sync required new software which MS had available. It's not as glamorous as the old, but it does the job. Everything else works and runs, including the camera, as it is USB.

Good luck with whatever you decide. After using Vista, I really do like it for my purposes. Sometimes though, it's not worth the ultimate cost to have the latest-and-greatest. You might want to do the XP-with-later-upgrade-option, that way when everything works, you can switch then. Wink

I do have one software issue, but the programmer is working on compatibility now, so it's just a matter of time.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'm also sorry I didn't answer sooner, I had this gorgeous day off and hubby and I went motorcycling.

Cindi

Collapse -
Glad you had a nice day Cindi :)
by Sasha Tee / February 27, 2007 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Sasha Tee

I guess the real deciding factor in keeping Vista (unless I change my mind) is that I have no idea how to set up the router and some of the more technical aspects that you need when you switch systems. I did all the drudge work of transferring files, data and installing programs and could do that again if it were necessary. I hope every time I play an mp3 it won't be examined. If that happens, then I'll get rid of Vista for sure. Thanks

Collapse -
Don't try the Ipod
by Dragon / March 1, 2007 8:58 AM PST

I had read an article sent to me by my wife that said an ipod could get messed up.

Collapse -
uh oh
by Sasha Tee / March 1, 2007 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: Don't try the Ipod

Hi Dragon, I remember reading something about the iPod too but that was before my disaster. I'll have to look into this, but I don't know any other way to recharge the battery except to plug it into the computer. Thanks.

Collapse -
You don't have an iPod charger?
by EdH / March 3, 2007 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: uh oh

I'm sure Apple or someone sells them. iPods used to come with a handy charger that plugged into the wall. There are lots of other devices that you can dock the iPod to that will charge it. I can even charge mine in my car.

I would think doing it with the computer would be the least efficient way, though that's what my daughter does. She also disconnects without ejecting, which is NOT recommended.

Collapse -
My Ipod is the tiny Shuffle
by TONI H / March 4, 2007 1:33 AM PST

and only charges through the pc....

TONI

Collapse -
Dragon, about the ipod....
by Sasha Tee / March 1, 2007 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: Don't try the Ipod

Just found an article that said the ipod can be damaged while trying to remove it from the "tray" on a Vista system. Apple is planning updates so hopefully that will solve the problem. This is getting more scary every day. Today I was burning recovery disks and got a message that there was a corrupted driver that could make the system unstable - can't imagine where THAT driver came from since the computer and os are brand new and came bundled together.

Collapse -
Hi Sasha Tee
by Cindi Haynes / March 2, 2007 1:27 AM PST

Just for the record, I've still been unable to create recovery disks. I did order a CD from HP, but I still wanted the set it will allow me to burn. I've gotten CD 1 of 10, and I've made 6 coasters.

Hubby has exact same computer (good deal, we bought two) and he burned his 2 DVDs without problem. He did go in and turn a bunch of running services and powersaver stuff off before trying to burn them. I suspect if I did that, I could probably finish burning mine, but now that he has a set, and I've got a mfgr's set, I don't think I'll bother!

Cindi

Collapse -
Cindi
by TONI H / March 2, 2007 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Sasha Tee

since you have the mfr disks, see if they will allow you to make copies of themselves...so you will always have a good backup set to use for installs with the originals safely put up.

And tell hubby to copy his again, too.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, Toni
by Cindi Haynes / March 2, 2007 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Cindi
Collapse -
Here's the exact link she sent
by Dragon / March 4, 2007 4:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Re Vista and HP printer
by John Robie / March 3, 2007 2:33 AM PST

When XP first came out my HP printer would not work, but there was a fix to make it compatible. Apparently there is a lot of issues with Software and Vista.

Lee Koo has recently addressed, "Is your SOFTWARE ready for Vista" in his Community Newsletter: Q&A: Answer submissions:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=235089&messageID=2411265&tag=nl.e497#2411265

CNet's also has a Windows Vista Forum:
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&tag=forums

CNet has gobs & gobs of info on Vista to include, " Windows Vista editors' software reviews":

http://www.cnet.com/4520-13111_1-6687520-1.html
Scroll on down to also read:

"Windows Vista Home Basic
Very good
out of 10

The good: Windows Vista Home Basic does improve some features within Windows XP; fewer system crashes than Windows XP; and Windows Vista offers better built-in support options.

The bad: Windows Vista Home Basic does not put Search on the desktop (it's buried within applications, within the Start Menu); no Aero graphics system in Home Basic; no new software yet written exclusively for Windows Vista; optimized only for the Microsoft Windows ecosystem (for example, RSS feeds from IE7 get preferential treatment); and little reason to leave Windows XP.

The bottom line: Windows Vista Home Basic is essentially warmed-over Windows XP, Windows XP SP3. If you're currently happy with Windows XP SP2, we see no compelling reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if you need a new computer right now, Windows Vista is stable enough for everyday use.

Read editors' review"

"Windows Vista Home Premium
Very good
out of 10

The good: Windows Vista Home Premium does improve some features within Windows XP; fewer system crashes than Windows XP; and Windows Vista offers better built-in support options.

The bad: Windows Vista Home Premium does not put Search on the desktop (it's buried within applications, within the Start Menu); no new software yet written exclusively for Windows Vista; optimized only for the Microsoft Windows ecosystem (for example, RSS feeds from Internet Explorer 7 get preferential treatment); Tablet PC support unnecessary; fax and scan support missing; and there are too many editions of Windows Vista.

The bottom line: Windows Vista Home Premium is essentially warmed-over Windows XP Home Edition. If you're currently happy with Windows XP SP2, we see no compelling reason to upgrade. On the other hand, if you need a new computer right now, Windows Vista Home Premium is stable enough for everyday use.

Read editors' review"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.