Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HF100 or HDR-SR11, but new HD camcorders on near-horizon?

I am shopping for a HD camcorder and I've narrowed it down to the HF100 and the HDR-SR11.

The only reason the HF100 is winning over the HDR-SR11 is because of its $200 (give or take) cheaper price tag. I really like the increased storage that the HDR-SR11's HDD provides and the touch screen sounds kind of cool, but those reasons aren't enough for me to justify the price increase. Are there any other major reasons I should consider the HDR-SR11 over the HF100, besides its slick physical appearance and supposedly slightly better video quality?

Also, before I make the plunge I'd like to know if there are any new potentially comparable/competitive HD camcorders about to be released?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HF100 or HDR-SR11, but new HD camcorders on near-horizon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HF100 or HDR-SR11, but new HD camcorders on near-horizon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some ideas.

In reply to: HF100 or HDR-SR11, but new HD camcorders on near-horizon?

You do know that the HF100 is a flash camcorder, correct? You'll save money on the camcorder, but after the addition of SD card media, you'll be right back at about even. The advantage of the flash memory is that they are more durable and are removable compared to the hard drive camcorder. Both record in AVCHD so you'll need to make sure you either 1) have editing software that is compatible with AVCHD or 2) use the included software.

Have you ruled out HDV camcorders?

Usually, new camcorder information isn't "leaked" to the public. Once they're announced (usually at CES in January), they come within the next few months.

Collapse -
What do you think?

In reply to: Some ideas.

Yep, I am aware that the HF100 uses flash media. In fact, that's one reason I don't want it -- a 16GB card seems like it would be limiting for me and 32GB cards are quite expensive right now. By comparison, the HDR-SR11's 60GB HDD is more appealing to me because I'm the type to shoot for hours upon hours and then dump all of the data to my computer at the end of the day. I don't mind charging the battery (because I can shoot while it charges), but I hate stopping a shoot due to memory being full... it's a hassle and might be the reason a moment isn't captured!

At the same time, flash media might be a better option for me because of its durability. I want to use it while I'm boating, snowboarding, hiking, and other such "bumpy" activities.

I am not considering HDV because I believe AVCHD is the future and simply put I just don't like tape.

I really don't want to spend the extra money on the HDR-SR11 so I guess my question is do you think I will be satisfied with the HF100 if I use a 16GB SDHC card?

Collapse -
Completely forgot about this...

In reply to: What do you think?

Since you said "bumpy", HDD camcorders fall off the list.

The HF10 has 16GB built-in to the camcorder whereas the HF100 only has the slot. The SD card slot is for extra storage on the HF10. They are both the same camcorder, but it depends if you want the internal storage. You'll still need to buy extra memory for good measure to make sure you don't run out of space during a shoot. Remember, 16GB gets you a little over two hours of highest quality video so plan accordingly.

Collapse -
Stack?

In reply to: Completely forgot about this...

Does the SDHC card slot stack on top of the HF10's internal 16GB?

In other words, if I use a 16GB SDHC card with the HF10 would that give me an uninterrupted video data total of 32GB? (By uninterrupted, I mean no stopping the video and manually switching to the "slot storage" when the internal storage fills up.)

Collapse -
Not sure about uninterrupted...

In reply to: Stack?

But that just means you don't have to swap cards. Yes, that would be 32GB total (16GB int + xxGB card). As memory prices fall, 32GB will soon be the now norm 16GB.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Not sure about uninterrupted...

OK, thanks for your help! I'm leaning toward the HF100.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.