Laptops forum

General discussion

Hey, Stargate Fan (and others): Views on HP dv9220us

by madtown / February 27, 2007 6:44 AM PST

Hey, Stargate Fan if you're out there:

I told you week or so ago that I'd come back at you with a model to get your opinion as I make my first foray into Laptop Land. Here's the one I think I want to jump at -- it's on sale at Comp USA right now.

Can you offer your thoughts? Also, my big hurdle now seems to be whether to agonizingly plunk down another $370 for a three-year warranty (gotta see if it covers accidental damage or not, though). Is that a must-have? ... Another question about warranties: If I buy it from CompUSA, is their plan my only warranty option, or can I purchase a warrant from HP.com if I buy their product from a vendor like CUSA? (Maybe HP's is a better deal?).

As far as my purposes, as I've said before, I'm not a big gamer (though I wanted a system that could handle it just in case). My main uses will be Photoshop and handling digital pix (future video) and streaming video (and watching DVDs).

Do you think I'd be buying more than what I need and overpaying for this machine? I do like the 17-inch screen, though, since this'll be a desktop replacement (though I'll still have my desktop), and it seems there aren't a lot of 17-inch options out there with Intel chips (in this price range). I think if I go with a 15.4-incher, I'll end up wishing I had bought a 17.

Thanks (in advance) for your thoughts. And if anybody else owns this model, PLEASE let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!
dean

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=344090&cmid=dsr&ref=dsr

Here are spex, in case the link doesn't work:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5200, 1.6GHz, with Centrino Technology, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 17-inch WXGA+ TFT Display, 8X DVD+/RW Drive, Windows Vista Home Premium
Video Chipset Brand: NVIDIA
Video Chipset: GeForce Go 7600
Installed Video Memory: 256 MB

Front Side Bus: 533 MHz
L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
Memory Slots Total: 2
Memory Slots Available: 0
Drive Controllers: SATA-150
Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
Optical Drives: LightScribe Double Layer DVD SuperMulti Drive:
Create a DVD Writable at a maximum 8X Write speed
Other speed specifications are not available from the manufacturer

Additional Drives: LightScribe DL DVD SuperMulti
Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Screen Size: 17.0 in
Screen Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
Port Connectors: 4 x Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 x Audio - Headphone-out with S/PDIF Digital Audio
1 x Audio - Microphone-in
1 x Video - VGA (15-pin)
1 x Video - TV-Out (S-Video)
1 x RJ-11 Modem
1 x RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
1 x Notebook Expansion Port 3
1 x IEEE-1394 FireWire (4-pin)
1 x Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)
1 x HDMI

Card Slots: 1 x Memory Stick
1 x Memory Stick PRO
1 x Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
1 x xD-Picture Card
1 x ExpressCard/34
1 x ExpressCard/54
Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
Wireless Protocol: 802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
Input Devices: Keyboard
Remote Control
Touchpad
Security Features: Kensington Security Slot
Number of Batteries: 1
Installed Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Included Software: Security and Support:
Symantec? Norton Internet Security 2007 (including complimentary 60 days Live Update)
HP Total Care Help & Support Center
Wireless Home Network
PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)
Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey, Stargate Fan (and others): Views on HP dv9220us
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey, Stargate Fan (and others): Views on HP dv9220us
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alright, here we go
by StargateFan / February 27, 2007 11:39 AM PST

Alright I am going to do this in the order that you asked the questions, it will be easrier for both of us to keep track of.

First off the 3 year warranty. When I buy a laptop I generally only go with a 1 year warranty, but that is only because I can fix the laptop if something goes wrong. Now in your case you got to ask yourself, what am I going to be doing with the laptop? As a desktop replacement I can't imagine you lugging it around often so it's going to stay relatively in the same spot. Is there any way that something could go wrong in this spot? Questions like that, warranties are expensive, and you can always repurchase a warrantly latter. So with that you may need to decide for your self.

As far I know if you buy the warranty from compUSA, you can slo be double producted with a warranty from HP if you like. Which is nice because if something was to go wrong you can either send it to compUSA whic in some cases will have ther techs look at it and if they can;t fix they will transfer it to HP. It is sometimes nice to cut out the middle man, but you don't want a warranty to go to waste as well. But bottom line I think yead you can definately double up. And if not, you can purchase a warranty from HP after the CompUSA warranty expires.

As far as the system itself, there are some areas where I think you can beef up, while in other area's lower down standards. First off is the screen. It is very common, and I understand that as a desktop replacement you want the big 17" screen. But you said that you would also have a desktop on hand. What I'm asking is this laptop going to be sitting next to the desktop. I mean 17" is great and if you want that big experiance go for it, but if the desktop can easily replace that, and you are going to put the two next to each other. Then it could in some cases defeat the purpose. But as a desktop replacement I think you should go for the 17". I am just playing devils advocate to see if you think you are spending to much, because you sound concern.

Other then the screen I would really consider upgrading the processor. As a desktop replacement you want a machine that can keep up with dekstops. With a dual core 1.6 you have a cumulated processing power of 3.2 GHZ, and most software hasn't been designed or coded to utilize both cores simultaneosuly, Windows is a great example. So I would consider upgrading the processor, becuase 1.6 core 2 is something that is very common in most laptops at a thin and light level. And as a desktop replacement you want a really powerful machine. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. Otherwise great machine, great choice. And Good Luck, buddy!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by madtown / February 28, 2007 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: Alright, here we go

Appreciate the input, SGfan. I really respect your opinions. Yes, it's a desktop replacement, in that while I'll keep my current Dell desktop on a network, it's very old and doesn't handle things well. I'll leave that mostly for my wife doing e-mail and kids doing games or whatever. Mainly so that we don't have to take turns hopping online. ... But the laptop will be the new "main machine" of the house. However, it won't sit right next to the desktop. My goal in getting a laptop is to give me the portability to go to other rooms of the house and in the yard, etc. I want to wake up in the morning and read the paper online in bed and not have to retreat to a desk chair (or print out pages to read in a more comfy spot). ...

So it will be moving around, but it won't be a daily/lengthy slog, so I don't think the weight or size of the 17-inch will be an issue. It'll also be nice for viewing DVDs on the road with the kids, etc., I suspect. ... I hear you on the processor size. That's my only concern with the system, but since it's a CUSA package, I can't really upgrade that. And I can't build this system on hp.com for a better price, so I think I'll have to make the tradeoff on the processor. At least everything else seems to be pretty top-notch, from what I've read anyway.

I'll post another thread asking for opinions from people who have bought a 17-inch model and see if I can score any feedback.

Thanks again for the input!! I'll keep monitoring the board in case others weigh in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.