Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hey Rob....

by TONI H / March 16, 2014 4:52 AM PDT

With all your ranting about the Koch Bros and how much money they spend on Republicans/Conservatives/Tea Party Candidates, I just wanted to bring it to your attention that

Jolly (R) who just won Florida's District 13 race from a Dem incumbent, the Koch Bros didn't spend even a penny on that race..........

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey Rob....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey Rob....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Koch Bros didn't spend even a penny on that race
by JP Bill / March 16, 2014 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey Rob....

Jolly bites the hand that feeds him

GOP sources have also lamented a poor fundraising operation that needed to be heavily subsidized by funds from dozens of Republican House members and PAC contributions, Roll Call reported. The NRCC has spent nearly $2 million in the race, according to Politico, to try to counter Sink's successful fundraising.

National GOP turns on Florida candidate

"We're one team. We're one team. We share a commitment to winning this seat, because we share the same view of government," he said. "Look, campaigns always have story lines to them. The important thing we focus on is what our party stands for, what I stand for, and what Alex stands for."

Some Republicans are going to have to eat some crow...no matter what...Dems on one side...the other side split in two.......

Collapse -
I already knew that
by TONI H / March 16, 2014 6:41 AM PDT

the RNC/establishment Reps had ignored Jolly......including the Koch Bros....but he won anyhow.

You say Reps are going to have to eat some crow....I can believe that since candidates have actually been doing ok and winning without 'normal' support; however, your following statement of "Dems on one side....the other side split in two" can also be said of the Democrats this election.

Republicans on one side....and Dems' side split in two as well. Most running don't want anything to do with BO, Biden, Reid, Pelosi, or Obamacare......it won't help them save their butts when their own words of support to all mentioned will come back to bite them in video during their campaigns.

Collapse -
RE: I already knew that
by JP Bill / March 16, 2014 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I already knew that

but you didn't mention it....

Most running don't want anything to do with BO, Biden, Reid, Pelosi, or Obamacare...

No word yet of a Democratic Tea Party Movement though.

Collapse -
So now I'm
by TONI H / March 16, 2014 7:31 AM PDT

expected to 'mention' something so I don't waste your effort and time typing something I already know? OMG LOL

The Democrat 'Tea Party' started tens and tens of years ago.....for far too long Republicans/Conservatives said/did nothing to stop that train wreck because it was an insidious movement....one step at a time....that didn't seem to do much/any harm at the time. We allowed ourselves to be steam-rolled by doing nothing to stop it early on. Now, even the Dem party is feeding on itself and imploding, but the LSM isn't reporting the in-fighting that's going on within that party. It's called deflect and change the subject as usual....don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain/watch this hand while the other performs the real trick.....and make sure that every time a Republican complains about anything, you call him/her a racist.

Collapse -
?????????????
by TONI H / March 16, 2014 8:45 PM PDT

get your train back on the tracks...........

Collapse -
You asked me what I would call A Republican that complains
by JP Bill / March 16, 2014 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: ?????????????

I responded by

asking you what you would call this Republican (Tasker) that complains.

Is that clear enough?

Armed and Loopy?

or

just another Tea Party candidate?

Collapse -
How about what you would call
by TONI H / March 16, 2014 9:13 PM PDT

a Democrat that makes statements such as Reid did as the leader in the Senate, ON the Senate Floor, against Romney ("I heard from a reliable source that Romney hasn't paid taxes for ten years" and when he 'supported' the idea that Romney committed murder)?

I said that when a Republican/Conservative/Tea Party shows any resistance against the Dem/liberal agendas, they are immediately labeled a racist, not only by the liberal media, but by Democrat Congressional members as well.

Collapse -
Do you believe that
by TONI H / March 16, 2014 9:16 PM PDT

the new mayor of NYC is also 'loopy' with regard to his radical decision to close charter schools that are actually scoring better than any public school in that city just to appease his union base?

Obviously Tasker didn't break any laws and that's all that matters at this moment.

Collapse -
Yes
by Diana Forum moderator / March 17, 2014 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you believe that

He was mad at the person that ran them.

He also wanted to get rid of the horse-drawn carriages.

So far not impressed.

BTW I look at the person, not party affiliation.

Diana

Collapse -
RE: the RNC/establishment Reps had ignored Jolly.
by JP Bill / March 16, 2014 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I already knew that

so the RNC gives Jolly 2 million and you consider that ignoring him.

Or do you mean they ignored him UNTIL they gave him 2 mill towards his campaign?

Collapse -
Yes, the RNC
by TONI H / March 16, 2014 8:46 PM PDT

not only ignored him, but slammed him because they decided on another candidate early on...it was only when it appeared he 'could' win because their candidate was dropping badly off the chart that they turned in his direction.

Collapse -
An interim election, what Canada calls a by-election is no
by Rob_Boyter / March 16, 2014 3:49 PM PDT

test at all. First question, what was the turn out? Low turnouts historically favour rabid Republican voters. That's why Suppress the Vote has become a key Republican tactic. The Koch's don't care someone is elected in March, they care who is elected in November. But please understand, I'm not trying to be confrontational at all. It's simple logic from their perspective. They want their money to mean something, so they save their money for real elections which will mean something for two years or more importantly 4 or 6 years. They, very sensibly, want a bang for their buck.

Here's a site that will give you donations by Group to each Party allowing you to see where the big money comes from, though not what comes from donors to Super PACs.

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topcontribs.php#

And here's another, 1989 to 2012 https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

From a group which calls itself the Independent Journal Review there is this peculiar analysis which falls right in line with the rest of their TeaPublican rants on their main site.
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/02/116056-wall-street-bankers-top-donors-agree-democrat-party-new-party-rich/

Don't believe me, check this out. http://www.ijreview.com/

It is fiction, not least because of the camouflaged donations via Super PAcs which Republican and TeaPublican donors use more often than Democrats.

Here's another site. It's too much trouble to do the math at 2 AM, but anyone who wants to can.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-14/presenting-all-time-top-100-political-donors

Rob

Collapse -
Top Individual donors shows a 63 to 30 split for Republicans
by Rob_Boyter / March 16, 2014 4:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
And here are PAC donations to both parties
by Rob_Boyter / March 16, 2014 4:25 PM PDT

Note the massive amount of business donations over any other donations, like Labour Unions. Now Business Donations do split as they tend to back both sides, but they're still overwhelmingly favouring Republicans by nearly 45% over Democrats Republicans $287,895,ooo to 199, 737,ooo for Dems. An $88,000,ooo difference in favour of Republicans.

Figured as parts of 100% it is Republicans 59%, Democrats 41%

http://www.opensecrets.org/overview/blio.php

Rob

Collapse -
why do you complain about low turnouts?
by James Denison / March 17, 2014 1:29 AM PDT

If people make a choice to stay home from the polls, then in a way they've already made a vote, even by NOT casting one. If they felt a greater need to vote on some issue, then they'd go to the polls. Complaining about people who chose not to vote is like complaining about the weather, and not much more you can do to change it.

Collapse -
I didn't complain about low turnouts. That is the fault of
by Rob_Boyter / March 17, 2014 3:31 AM PDT

lazy Democratic voters. I merely made the statement that historically, and with the full understanding of the Republican Party as evidenced by Grover Norquist's speech to the RNC or a Conservative caucus in 198? low turnouts favour Republican candidates. It was this speech which stimulated the Republicans to explore voter suppression and challenges as a tactic to reduce the number of people able to vote.

The Conservative vote is hard i.e. neither rain, nor snow, nor heat of day, nor dead of night will stay those voters from their Constitutional duty because they know that they are a minority opinion and are at risk of being swamped. Toni certainly understands that fact since she has written precisely that fear in a post to me (and I was enormously grateful for her candour and should have thanked her then for it).

Democrats are lazy and uncommitted because they know they are the majority in the country, and from 1933 to 1980 dominated the political scene. They're insufficiently aroused by the threat posed by the TeaPublican vote to be as passionate as are Conservative voters. That is entirely their fault and a cause for lament by Democrats of even the moderate stripe. Part of the issue is that the black vote has been suppressed so long that they've abandoned themselves to despair. Even the Voting Rights Act didn't create a landslide of voters. Only strong, charismatic candidates like Robert Kennedy and Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have been able to motivate the black vote.

So, to re-iterate, not a complaint but an accusation directed at lackadaisical Democratic voters, not at Republicans. Democrats have only themselves to blame for their poor organization and poor showings in the past 34 years, even though there have been significant manipulations of the system by Republicans.

Rob.

Collapse -
Just a graph that might be worth looking at
Voter turnout by race

It doesn't go back to JFK nor does it indicate which candidate each race went for but it does appear that the black voter turnout, though lower, mirrored the white voter turnout until BHO came along. I don't see where Bill Clinton lit a spark under anyone. It might also be noteworthy that the youthful voters whose numbers declined during the Clinton era but were rising again up until Obama's first election seem to have dropped considerably when his second term came along. All along, from media reports, I was under the impression that the younger were on the rise. Guess the impression I got was wrong.
Collapse -
And I meant to say, Thank you Toni, and I apologize for a
by Rob_Boyter / March 16, 2014 3:56 PM PDT

laggard response. I've been busy. Now that I have after 7 miserable years finally washed Nancy out of my hair, I find I have more energy for productive things which I have been delighted to be doing.

The second anti-depressant is helping too.

Rob

South Pacific. Rogers and ?Hart? ?Hammerstein? ?somebody else?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!