Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hey Kidpeat, news says the weather's bad in your

by Ziks511 / January 5, 2005 6:24 AM PST

neck of the woods. How's it going?

And just think, you can enjoy it tomorrow when the same weather front comes through here.

Rob B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey Kidpeat, news says the weather's bad in your
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey Kidpeat, news says the weather's bad in your
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's not much to it yet. Maybe it will get better later
by Kiddpeat / January 5, 2005 6:43 AM PST

in the day. My daughter was hoping for a snow day, but didn't get one today. It was a good reason to come home early to avoid the snow which is supposed to be heavier tonight. Forcast is 8-12 inches, but heavier farther north of us and lighter to the south. It's been a long time since Chicago had a really good snow.

I can work from home over the internet, but I do go to school twice a week so I hope it's not heavy enough to cause problems getting there.

Collapse -
We touched on this school thing before but I don't think
by Ziks511 / January 5, 2005 6:52 AM PST

I ever asked, What are you taking at Uni? (as they call it in Britain, it's such an ineffectual word don't you think?)

Oh yeah, how old's your daughter. I had the enormous good fortune to supervise my kid's school years thanks to the world's best part-time job here. I enjoyed it a lot.

Rob B

Collapse -
I am studying digital media with the goal of developing
by Kiddpeat / January 5, 2005 7:01 AM PST

some kind of business in that area. I love technology and consider media technology to be very fascinating.

My daughter is 16 and acting very much like I think a typical teen acts, but is not into boys at this point. She's a lot of fun although she doesn't always know that.

Collapse -
Sounds wonderful and my congrats and best wishes on
by Ziks511 / January 5, 2005 7:22 AM PST

the university work, I did arts, and indeed art courses which are I suspect much less demanding than your courses.

Ain't Kids wonderful. As mentioned previously mine is 17 and is altogether too self posessed and grown up. He's just getting into music and I have managed to keep enough of a dialogue going that he doesn't dismiss my suggestions and references out of hand. I gained some serious brownie points when I gave (with his permission) three British First Pressings of the Sex Pistols early singles to his best friend, an ardent Punk wannabe. On the other hand his friends Parents were not entirely thrilled.

We only get hints of girly things when his girlfriend comes over. She is the oddest combination of a girly girl and an athlete/scholar. Her marks are to die for (current average 96%) and to see her on the track you'd think she was a fella. Focused, worked up, intent, no nonsense. Its an enjoyable contrast.

I have no idea what will happen next year, Robbie has always intended to take 2 bites at grade 12 with a view to using the best subjects for his application, but also because it puts off the decision another year, and lets us save for another year too. Whether they stay together, with her at MacMaster University in Hamilton about 60 miles west of here along the lake, is in the lap of the gods but I hope so. She's a keeper, in the words of that old misogynist joke.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
With luck 12 inches by the end of the day Thurs
by Ziks511 / January 5, 2005 12:40 PM PST

St. Catherines, Niagara on the Lake, Niagara Falls (both of them) and Buffalo, maybe 2 feet.

Rob

Collapse -
An easy day, only about 4 inches fell. I shovelled the walk
by Ziks511 / January 6, 2005 10:48 AM PST

to the street and my son shovelled the sidewalk. I only had to ask once and he did it immediately.

I think there's something wrong with my son. But I'm not complaining, I'm just watching him VERY carefully.

Rob B

Collapse -
We had about 12 inches. It was a challenge to clear
by Kiddpeat / January 6, 2005 11:03 AM PST

the walk, but everything else was a piece of cake. The highways were clear, and we didn't have any snow days. It is enough for some good photos, and good sledding. I remember when my daughter was a toddler on her saucer sled. I sent her down a local hill and she went airborn over another kid's head. Big sigh of relief. All's well that ends well.

Collapse -
Are you among the lucky few with a snow-blower?
by Ziks511 / January 7, 2005 3:05 PM PST

I had an envious conversation with a couple of people on this forum when we got our first big snow in late November. All I can say is I've done it the old fashioned way and I still dont' enjoy it.

Protect your back and good luck with the school work.

Rob B

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope! It would not pay at this point.
by Kiddpeat / January 7, 2005 3:20 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.