Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Hey Grif [others can reply, LOL]

by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

My work computer now has XP Pro w SP2 on it. If I remember correctly an install which includes SP2 as a part of it does not have the MS Java. If I read your early posts, I should install someone elses Java [sun???] and you gave a version. If you get a chance can you repost it here. I'll read it at work.

A lot of work ahead with only a 3GB boot partition. LOL

TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey Grif [others can reply, LOL]
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey Grif [others can reply, LOL]
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, XP SP2 Doesn't Include Java..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 12:04 PM PDT

I suggest you perform BOTH of the steps below. You'll find the new Script Engine from the link below will update the installed version.:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Download JRE 5.0 Update 6'' download link that is in the ''JRE 5.0 Update 6 includes the JVM technology'' section. Download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). ONce that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" section, then uninstall all previous version of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java 1.5 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

AFter that, download and install the updated Script engine from the appropriate link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

At the link above, you'll need to validate your version of XP which isn't a problem as long as its legal.

After everything is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Internet Options'' icon, then click on the ''Advanced'' tab. When that loads, scroll down to the ''Java(Sun)'' section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: ''Use Java,....''. Click on Apply. Then scroll to the ''Multimedia'' section and place a CHECK mark in the ''Play Sounds In Web Pages'', ''Play videos in Web Pages'', & ''Show pictures'' box and UNCHECK the box next to ''Show download Placeholders:'', then click on Apply, then Ok.

Hope this helps..

Grif

Collapse -
Windows Script
by eddie11013 / April 10, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

Hi Grif. Just saw this post. I have had Java on my computer for some time and I don't think I have ever noticed that this "Windows Script" needed to be installed. I have gone to a few sites that needed Java and have not had any problems. I went ahead and installed it anyway. However, I have installed Java on both my sister and my brothers computer, do I need to install this "script" on their machines? She has win me and he has win xp home, sp2. They, like me, usually just use the computer for email, word processing stuff and a little surfing. I have win xp pro sp2.
Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Collapse -
Eddie, It's Not A Requirement But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2006 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Script

...the 5.6 version of the script engine does fix some security issues that occurred in earlier versions. I recommend installing it, just to be sure you have the newest. In addition, I've seen it fix a few script issues on websites such as the RedX problem. The newer version that I posted earlier actually updates the "jscript.dll" file on Windows 2000 or XP to the newest "5.6.0.8825" as well as other files that deal with the script engine.

The Windows ME script engine download is slightly different but as above, the 5.6.0.8825" version should be installed. Check the "Jscript.dll" file on Windows Me also. It should reside in the C\Windows\System folder(or System32 folder The newest script engine download for Win98 or ME is at the link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows NT 4.0 Genuine Windows download

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Grif, I'll install it on their machines.
by eddie11013 / April 10, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Grif: I'm confused by Java.....
by WOODS-HICK / April 10, 2006 10:15 AM PDT

My new Dell 12/05, came with OEM XP SP2 and had Java 1.4 factory installed. When I tried to update to 1.5 IE would not allow unsigned Active X. I tried a manual download and everything passed the test at the Java site. After test 1.5 would not work even though it showed in Control Panel, and IE add-ons. Anyway I removed all Java (1.4 & 1.5).
I now use FireFox with Java enabled. When I go to my ISP homepage using IE6, if I allow scripting, my homepage works.

I understand your above instructions. Should I try again using both steps?

If I completely remove all traces of Java with a complete regedit will that remove it from Firefox? Without Java add-ons on IE6, why does active scripting work on my homepage? Is Java necessary for general surfing? I have "no script" extension on FireFox and I like the control it gives me. Many sites work fine with out scripting.

Collapse -
Well, It's Up To You...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2006 10:27 AM PDT

Java is not required but it does make the surfing experience much nicer when viewing Java applets on various sites. It's a relatively safe protocol. The new 1.5 version should be installable and I don't think ActiveX is required to download or install it AS LONG AS you use the full "Offline" installer per my instructions above.(The original ActiveX error probably occurred because you were doing the "Online" installation, not Offline.).. Try downloading with Firefox. Firefox use the Java plugin from the Sun Version of Java. You can check those pluging in Firefox by typing "About:plugins" in the address bar at the top, then click on the "Go" button. You'll see all your currently operational plugins.

Scripting is also not required and it also allows a nicer viewing environment but unfortunately, scripting has a number of vulnerabilities that are being exploited right now.. Although I use Firefox which has a better scripting option that Internet Explorer, when I do use IE, I make sure the Internet settings are set to "Prompt" for scripting.

So, the decision is up to you...Neither of those optios are required and without them you're a little more secure, but if you use them carefully, the internet experience will be nicer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: Well.....
by WOODS-HICK / April 10, 2006 10:48 AM PDT

I might have been a little foggy.

I do use FireFox , Java enabled, "No Script" extension for added control. So if I remove all traces of Java on my PC that does not affect FireFox browsing.

I did the offline download not online for IE6 browsing. That failed, but I'll try again now that I am armed with good instructions.

So Windows has it's own scripting, not Java. I have been using "prompt" option for security.

Should I Google "scripting" so I know what it means?

Collapse -
Wood, If You Remove All Traces Of Java...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Well.....

...then Firefox won't be able to use it...It will affect Firefox's ability to use it. As I described, after removing Java, if you check the ''About : plugins'' (with no spaces between characters), you'll find Java isn't there. On the other hand, I believe Firefox has the ability to use ''JavaScript'' which performs similar duties.

Windows Scripting and Java are two different things but are inter-related...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ray
by PudgyOne / April 8, 2006 12:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanx to both the
by Ray Harinec / April 9, 2006 1:42 AM PDT

Californian and the Pennsylvanian. Coast to coast [almost] coverage.

Printed it out to take to work with me.

I'll check the file size first, work has dialup, maybe download here with cable and burn to a CD.

Collapse -
Ray, I Keep A Copy On CD For Similar Situations
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanx to both the

I've also got a few dial-up machines also. I keep a copy of the latest java and script engine on CD for just such issues. The installation works fine from a CD.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?