Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hey, Florida Residents - how are you holding up?

That storm looks like it is hitting there about the worst right now and for the next 12 hours or so. Are any of you able to give a holler about what's happening and if you are okay?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey, Florida Residents - how are you holding up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey, Florida Residents - how are you holding up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hey, Florida Residents - how are you holding up?

In reply to: Hey, Florida Residents - how are you holding up?

FYI Netizens: I and my Bride-For-Life executed our great escape from our Space Coast "sand castle" Friday evening. We're holed up at the Saw Grass in JAX, FL enjoying our unplanned week-end get away, as best we can, while keeping one eye on the Tube-Vee's Wx Channel.

So far the good news for us has been that "Frances" has dropped her max sustained winds to below 100 KTS and is projected to make landfall a bit farther south, than was previously projected.

It's "ZERO SUM," though, because good news for us is bad news for someone else. We hope the cut in wind velocity and change in the landfall point means our roof tile won't take flight, and there will be no storm surge that ends up in our living room.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Hey, Florida Residents - how are you holding up?

Perhaps zero sum for everyone.

As you say, good news the maximum winds have dropped.

Bad news is the forward movement has too. So now instead of 125 MPH for a few hours, you may have 90+ MPH for 12 to 24 hours. As things rock in a wind, they may come loose afterall even with the lower wind. And slower movement will making flooding worse all along and beside it's path.

Ya'll hold on down there, we don't want Florida drifting away to be come our first Atlantic Ocean island state.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -

Yeah, right after most of California becomes our 2nd Pacific island state.

Collapse -

That's supposed to literally occur by tomorrow, John, per the estimate of Cal Tech., that we get a magnitude 6 or far greater one. I hope it does not happen during work hours, since the buildings we are in are supposed to collapse like pancakes.

Those Florida folks sure an in a mess enough of their own though now! Hope everyone comes through it okay!

Collapse -

Gee, I forgot about that 6.4 is supposed to happen just north of San Diego by tomorrow. I read it somewhere, can't recall exactly where, but the reputable scientist guy in charge of the prediction has accurately predicted two others that happened near the dates he said and is 2 for 2.

I've been in a 5 quake and it is scary. Maybe you should stay away from your buildings a couple days.

So far Florida is doing pretty good as compared to some real killer storms. Hope the best as I have good friends there, but are not in any immediate danger.

Collapse -
Blake are you out there?

Blake lives somewhere in that area Diane.
I hope he doesn't get badly hit.

Collapse -
Re: Blake are you out there?

In reply to: Blake are you out there?

he lives in the st pete tampa bay area west coast

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Mark - Have to see how that area is affected

In reply to: Re: Blake are you out there?

Collapse -
Live satellite map of where the storm is and the speed etc.

In reply to: (NT) Thanks Mark - Have to see how that area is affected

Collapse -
As you know by now - he will be OK

In reply to: Live satellite map of where the storm is and the speed etc.

Blake and even Central FL folks should do pretty darned well.

These category 1 and 2 winds are not nearly so destructive as when they go even -slightly- higher.

The other considerations- like flooding as you mention is more of a concern I guess, but you folks who follow these storms know that already.

However, where Francis made landfall is a region that really hasn't had a full fledged hurricane in decades; in other words, trash buildings that get weeded out in areas that see more frequent hurricanes (like the Miami area) tend to fail in goodly numbers.

All the engineers I hear to talk about the vital levee around Lake Ocheechobee are confident it can and will withstand any storm flooding. If I am not mistaken the 4,000 est. loss of life in the '28 storm due to the lake breaking through the low, poorly designed levee of that day is the second worse loss of life to any hurricane in the US. Galveston of course remains first in that tragic statistic- over 6,000 dead? Only the Johnstown flood rivals (? i'm too lazy to look up) either of these catastrophes. But that's a different category than present topic.

Collapse -
Re: As you know by now - he will be OK

In reply to: As you know by now - he will be OK

Lower winds than the earlier 145 MPH are a relief for sure, but the agonizing slow forward speed of the storm cancels some of the advantage.

Something that will stand at 90-100 MPH for an hour may have problems doing it for 4 hours. As things whip back and forth, the longer the wind stays up, the more will give way.

The flooding may be the largest concern now. I think I heard West Palm Beach was measured at 12 inches so far about noon today?

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: As you know by now - he will be OK

In reply to: As you know by now - he will be OK

Hi Netsky,
Sounds as though the levee held out ok, or at least I haven't heard otherwise. I think I have heard enough bad news recently to last me a lifetime.
All those beautiful children being slaughtered in Russia for just one example.

Collapse -
Blocked in, writing by gasoline light

Miami is far south of the storm yet we've lost our power for good now. A power line is down just outside my gate; I can't even get my car out the drive.

A neighbor's giant ficus tree is felled square across the roadway at one end, and at the other end of the stree is a police barricade (that power line hazzard)

- For us here in town this is a wonderful pardon from a real hurricane hit like Andrew. We are not complaining, just noting conditions are less than normal. It takes 50+MPH winds to topple a shallow-rooted ficus. Even 125 miles from the eye of this huge, diorganizing storm we've gotten gusts exceeding that speed. Poor East Central Fl, they've not had a direct hit hurricane of any kind in living memory. So a does a lot of extra pruning of untested structures and beautiful old trees.

Andrew removed Miami's old tree canopy in '92. Aside from loss of life and habitation, tree loss is I think for most of us the worst result of a storm.

I am writing by the light of a small gasoline generator, which comes as goes as rain blows into the air intake. Bright, dim, bright dim the desk like flickers now and again.

If I quit posting it's 'cause I run out of gas from time to time ha ha

Collapse -
So sorry to hear that, Netsky!

In reply to: Blocked in, writing by gasoline light

It sounds pretty terrible. The television has been showing live coverage on the other side of the US here, of what you poor folks are going through. Terrible! Expectations of the darned winds stalling over the land for a half day more of pounding and 20-40 inches of rain in some areas is pretty certain to bring a tremendous amount of damage to most areas.

Another friend has checked in several hours back, and was riding it out okay then, but haven't heard recently. Steve, I have no idea about Blake. I have not communicated with him for well over a year now, so am unlikely to hear. Perhaps Rosalie can help you out there.

Good luck, Netsky! It was very kind of you to take the time and trouble to update in light of your difficult circumstances now. I get shudders thinking about what a mess you folks have to deal with anyway. Things like having items in the fridge or freezer rot while the power is out would seem to be another health risk. The mess and unhygenic conditions that causes until you can clean up (meaning with electricity on), is terrible! And that's assuming it's not all one big stew from the flooding! Sounds like you have a good outlook on things though and have probably prepared well for the crisis. Thanks again for checking in!

Collapse -
Re: Blocked in, writing by gasoline light

In reply to: Blocked in, writing by gasoline light

just be safe its gonna be a long rain

Collapse -
A real irony

In reply to: Re: Blocked in, writing by gasoline light

thanks mark and diane for the nice words.

but, hey, I just regassed the tiny Honda genertor and that gives me back to civilization for two hours more.

there's nothing unsafe or terribly inconvenient going on here so far from the central storm winds. we're all OK in the Miami area, and marvel at the strong winds still gusting as powerfully as ever. historically, this is the slowest moving storm any of us has seen.

Just before dawn I took a long walk to get down to the Bay to see the chop. Returning home via a very long detour because the end of the street is blocked by a large ficus tree so dense you cannot see through it, I found my home and my two neighbors are -really blocked in now-. YUP *irony* another tree has fallen, the only other fallen tree I've seen in a six square block area. Fallen squarely across the street just 150 feet from the ficus.

Having little better to do I wrote a message on a white paper plate and thumtacked this to the bare trunk of the almond baricade. Apologies to that poet Joyce (?) who wrote a famous piece that inspired me, too. It'll make onlookers smile i hope- they'll drive up close to the thick trunk just to see what's on that round white sign. It reads:

Complaints are made by fools like me
But only a chainsaw can remove this tree
(smilie)

har har har, well i hope you like this true story

Collapse -
FOX NEWS has live coverage going on

They are covering the situation continuously now, and they are saying over two million without power, and the storm is likely to continue another 36-48 hours there (5:30 a.m. there now).

They are bringing in help from all over the place, with emergency doctors and nurses due in immediately, and Red Cross taking water and supplies to the people in need. They are warning not to eat the contaminated foods in the refrigerator, or drink water that was not purchased in bottles, and to avoid the downed power lines and be careful of West Nile Virus issues as well as watching common sense things like not getting cut while picking up glass or straining and injuring yourself while trying to move heavy objects. Home Depot is also coming to the rescue. They are trying to get "Publix" Stores (not sure what those are) open Sunday (today) as soon as possible, but of course, it is not daylight yet.

Prayers for all of you affected by this!

Collapse -
Netsky - The news is requesting Florida folks Email them

Anyone in the range of Melbourne to Orlando (or probably anywhere affected is fine too) is asked to use their computers to let the news know what is happening in your areas. The email addie is friends@foxnews.com.

There is now concern that some of the dams may give way. None specific now, but they are talking about the debris from Charley having clogged the passways and dams, and the overswollen lakes not being held completely by the dams if this continues.

Also, the causeways are closed to traffic, but the police can't safely get officers out to the causeways to put up blockades or signs, so they are having to rely on newscasts put out to let people know not to drive to use them.

Collapse -
Disaster Numbers

To find out about power outages: 1-800-4OUTAGE

Web site on the hurricane www.floridadisaster.com

Phone number for disaster help and details: 1-800-342-3557

Over 80-100,000 in shelters now. The winds are 100 mph, and it's only moving at 8 mph. The eye takes four hours to move over an area. It's expected to pick up strength again once it starts heading into the Gulf of Mexico, and is expected to travel up towards Georgia.

Boil water orders for Ft. Lauderdale and other cities already issued.

And to top that off, our huge California earthquake so far hasn't happened (although a small one did in the right area already this morning), but Japan suffered a 7.4 one and apparently ancient temples are in jeopardy now.

Collapse -
2-Space Coast residents threading water for how long?

Saddled up my trusty laptop the morning in JAX, FL, after Frances did her dirty deed.

Attempted to get some real-time data on the status of open/closed roads and causeway bridges there. There's no reason to "de-evacuate" back down I-95 to our beachside "sand castle," if the police won't let any citizens back on the barrier island yet.

Tried the official Brevard County Emergency Management web site http://www.embrevard.com with no joy. I guess Frances toke down their phone lines.

We plan to roll out down I-95 for home at zero-dark-thirty Sunday morning. Are we still homeowners or just new owners of a freshly cleared buidling lot?

Forum Netizens, this was not how we had planned to spend our Labor Day 2004 Week-End.

Collapse -
That road is a real mess and has sinkholes and flooding

In reply to: 2-Space Coast residents threading water for how long?

Don't do it unless you hear differently. They have been showing a huge raging river there in one major section, and on the other side, a stretch where they had been doing work has a giant sinkhole that stripped off about a third of the lane and the whole shoulder, sending it crashing down at least ten feet. Even the news folks couldn't get through - now THAT'S bad! National Guard going down another stretch in Humvees.

I think the latest phone number is 1-866-HELP-NOW that they were just giving. They're suggesting staying away in the shelters for at least another 24 hours. Freaky stuff. News showing a horse racing by itself down the street at a full gallop. Lots of animals now without homes and on the loose.

Winds are at 90 mph now, but expected to possibly pick up again as the bands are still coming in. If you stop and think about it, if you have ever watched a baseball game with the ball being clocked at a high rate of speed, and you know what it feels like to be hit by a ball coming at that speed, you will get a good idea of how bad the wind-borne objects can be as threats to life and vehicles. The newscasters are reporting with the palm trees falling in back of them. Very bizarre stuff.

And now Japan has the first quake 6.8 and the second was 7.3 and I think they were talking about a third, but it got cut off for more Florida news. Japan told to expect tsunamis in any case.

Collapse -
Sorry - transposed are code - try this

In reply to: That road is a real mess and has sinkholes and flooding

1-800-HELP-NOW for Red Cross Assistance (and no doubt information)

and 1-866-GET-INFO for other aid information and people to go out to help, as well as other information.

I'm still trying to watch for your road section to see what the latest is.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sinkhole is at I-95 N/B near Jupiter

In reply to: That road is a real mess and has sinkholes and flooding

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I-95 closed due to that sinkhole per news right now

In reply to: (NT) Sinkhole is at I-95 N/B near Jupiter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hurricane Warnings lifted for Miami-Dade Counties

In reply to: 2-Space Coast residents threading water for how long?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Stay safe folks You're in our thoughts

Collapse -
One dead being reported on CNN now

Probably that whacked surfer they filmed yesterday...

Seriously, I'm amazed that no injuries have been reported. People really took this to heart and heeded the advice in advance to prepare and then leave.

Have a close help forums member, Gene Klein, who I haven't heard from yet.......here's tipping a glass in your direction Gene, hoping you and your family are fine. Please let us know ASAP.......phones are out and no electricity in his area so I haven't been able to find out anything yet.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: One dead being reported on CNN now

In reply to: One dead being reported on CNN now

Probably that whacked surfer they filmed yesterday...

Which one, Kerry?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good one, Clay!

In reply to: Re: One dead being reported on CNN now

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) See:...Choice Between Skill & Luck, Always Choose Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.