Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hey Diana!

by bronccat / February 8, 2006 2:10 PM PST

Did you ever resolve you temp internet "invisible files" issue.

I had the same problem - 20 Gig worth.

type the following in the run box:

"C:\Documents and Settings\shaun abell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.mso"

Then click up one level

This will take you to the hidden files.

In here you can delete the contents of the following folders:

OLK
Content.mso
Content.IE5 (and subfolder contents)

I'm here to tellya - it took me forever to figure this out, but I have freed up 2/3 of my hard drive as a result!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey Diana!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey Diana!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can't find content.mso
by Diana Forum moderator / February 8, 2006 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: Hey Diana!
Collapse -
Another method
by TONI H / February 8, 2006 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: Hey Diana!

and this one worked for me:

In the Run Box type %temp%

On the temp window click the Folder Tab.

Open Temp (May be already open)

Open Temporary internet files and Content IE5

NOW: If you want to make sure that the Content.IE5 folders show up all the time from now on without having to do the above, for all users/accounts, do the following for the Desktop.ini files Found in the c:\windows\temporary internet files\desktop.ini and the

c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\desktop.ini

The Desktop.ini is a standard text file that can be added to any folder to customize certain aspects of the folder's behavior. In these cases, Microsoft utilized this file to make these files invisible.

Invisible to Windows Explorer and even to the "Find: Files or Folders" utility (so you wouldn't be able to perform searches in these folders! -- because you wouldn't want to in most instances) All Microsoft had to do was create a file with certain CLSID tags and the folders would disappear like magic. To show you exactly what's going on:

Found in the c:\windows\temporary internet files\desktop.ini and the c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\desktop.ini is this text:

[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}

Found in the c:\windows\history\desktop.ini and the

c:\windows\history\history.ie5\desktop.ini is this text:

[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
CLSID={FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}

The UICLSID line cloaks the folder in Windows Explorer. The CLSID line disables the "Find" utility from searching through the folder. (Additionally, it gives a folder the appearance of the "History" folder.)

To see for yourself, you can simply erase the Desktop.ini files. You'll see that it will instantly give Windows Explorer proper viewing functionality again, and the "Find" utility will search through them. Problem solved right? Actually, no. As it turns out, the Desktop.ini get reconstructed every single time you restart your computer.

Luckily there is a loophole which will keep Windows from hiding these folders. You can manually edit the Desktop.ini files and remove everything except for the

"[.ShellClassInfo]" line.
This will trick WININET into thinking everything is as it should be.

I can't stress how ridiculous it is that Windows actually makes sure the files are hidden on every single boot. No other files or folders get this kind of special treatment. So what's the agenda here?

TONI

Collapse -
Hidden Files
by bronccat / February 9, 2006 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Another method

Toni,

I uttered the same words this morning to someone. To have 70% of your hard drive occupied by files that you can't find, well that makes ya wonder.

Diana, you may try the location I gave before but swap content.IE5

The content.MSO is for microsoft office...sorry for the confusion....

C:\Documents and Settings\shaun abell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Collapse -
Don't get any folders
by Diana Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Hidden Files

in temporary internet folders - do have show hidden files and folders checked.

Diana

Collapse -
hmmmm
by bronccat / February 9, 2006 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Don't get any folders

I was in the same boat. If I went straight to the folder, there was nothing inside. But when I went to start, run, and typed in the file location they appeared.....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Cool - that works
by Diana Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: hmmmm
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?