Republicans a "freebie" with the recent "4 memo"
incident ? Might be worth looking into.

Their document expert, it seems, derives his expertise
by analyzing signatures and describing the character
attributes of the writer, and isn't recognized or
certified by any document organization. It seems the
same is true of the ex-typewriter repairman they brought
in as a typewriter authority, in that no organization
has certified or recognized him as an expert.

Now, how many months did CBS claim they spent "developing"
this story ? And how many hours did it take two other
organizations to debunk the story ?

It's just gotta be part of some grand conspiracy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey, Dave K, are you sure.............
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey, Dave K, are you sure.............
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hey, Dave K, are you sure.............
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 14, 2004 11:43 PM PDT

Hi, Del.

If you want a real conspiracy theory, one I've started to hear is that John Kerry's been ordered to throw the election by the Master of Skull and Bones (both Kerry and Dubya are bonesmen, you'll recall).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I guess that caps the debate. Even Dave is conceding that
by Kiddpeat / September 14, 2004 11:55 PM PDT

the documents are forged. Next step: concede that the story is bogus.

Collapse -
Re: I guess that caps the debate. Even Dave is conceding tha
by Josh K / September 15, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

The only thing I wonder about is this: If I were going to forge documents intended to reveal problems with Bush's service, I'd have made them more damaging. Not enough to immediately raise a red flag about their authenticity, but I'd have made them more damaging than these were. I also wouldn't have been careless enough to use MS Word to create them.

The next step is a big one, and without proof (either way), I suspect it may never be settled.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No one's claiming they were smart, just arrogant.
by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2004 5:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
When you do it...
by Edward ODaniel / September 15, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

use longhand. You already have the name of the handwriting expert who will swear to anything even if the only available copies for analysis are copies of copies of copies (and he probably can name some others which will give you a "majority of exprets" Dave K will readily accept--you got it made!. You also know that Killian didn't type so your documents could be readily accepted by CBS and the 60 minutes crew. Wink

Collapse -
Re: Even Dave is conceding -- Did I say that?

Hi, KP.

I doubt we'll ever know if they're real or not. To me, Killian's adjutant verifying them is stronger to me than "that doesn't sound like him," and the type style is now a non-issue.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Type style a non-issue?
by Evie / September 15, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

You been under a rock Dave?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
RATS!!!!!!
by Glenda / September 15, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

I posted almost the same thing!!! But my connection timed out and I lost it:(( Not fair! Evie!!!
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a lot of his TIMES spent ROMAN in that dark place..
by Edward ODaniel / September 15, 2004 5:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Only the self deluded still have doubts. Haven't you heard?
by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2004 5:20 AM PDT

Killian's adjutant said they are fakes! I guess the typing style is a nonissue since EVERYONE has concluded that it proves the forgery.

Collapse -
Dave only listened long enough ...
by Evie / September 15, 2004 5:27 AM PDT

... to hear what he wanted to hear (the Globe article he cited) and then he stopped listening.

Dave, considering the various threads here at SE alone, complete with the relevant exerpts frequently provided in the posts themselves, this post of yours is embarrassing!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You remind me, Dave...
by J. Vega / September 15, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

Sorry, Dave, but you remind me of a person with a gambling problem at a Vegas craps table. Even after they have lost more that they can afford, they keep rolling those dice hoping to get even.
BTW, yesterday after all these months, somebody finally took we out. Strange it may sound, after the doctor we ended up at a site with veterans preparing for a Kerry rally (whoda' thunk it, but it wasn't planned). I rolled off beyond the site and investigated a stand of cattails in a bar parking lot, but before rolled off, I heard mention of those documents. One Kerry supporter (the man who organized the rally) who is so forcefully Democratic that he makes you look like a conservative talked about seeing those documents. As wildly pro-Kerry as he was, he said that he saw no end of problems with them and thought that they were a pile of fakes. Dave, he knew when to step away from the craps table and play another game.

Collapse -
CBS to release a statement ...
by Evie / September 14, 2004 11:58 PM PDT

... later today regarding the documents.

They have been working on the story for months, but the "trump card" witness (Hodges I think) says they called him only two days before saying they had just obtained these documents.

Meanwhile, CBS would not have to reveal their source to dispell the rumor that these documents came from the Kerry campaign. They declined to rule this out.

I await the statement!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Hey, Dave K, are you sure.............
by dirtyrich / September 15, 2004 12:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ha, very funny :)
by Dragon / September 15, 2004 12:55 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!