Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hey Angeline, how is that DVR you were looking at

by Roger NC / January 16, 2006 2:00 PM PST

A couple of months ago there was a thread (I thought I saved a link, but don't see it right now) discussing a DVR model you were looking at buying?

Wondering how that worked out, since I may end up buying one. I actually thinking of buying one more for regular weekly recording than the long time saving or converting old and private recorded VHS to DVD but both would be nice.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hey Angeline, how is that DVR you were looking at
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hey Angeline, how is that DVR you were looking at
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link to original thread inside.
by MarkatNite / January 16, 2006 4:39 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thx a lot Mark. LOL< now to save this thread link.
by Roger NC / January 17, 2006 12:28 AM PST
Collapse -
It works well.
by Angeline Booher / January 16, 2006 9:07 PM PST

It works well.
I'm sometimes am leery of buying "combos" because when one part goes down, so do both. But as I needed a new VHS machine, I gave it a try. And I wanted to transfer important home-made videos to DVD. I haven't done much of that yet, but, so far, so good. Choosing a combo did away with the need for another cable, so space available was an issue for me, as well.

I still keep the instructions nearby.

The steps appear on the TV screen. My instruction book is excellent. In order that the DVD will play on someone else's TV, the DVD must be "finalized". (It tells you how.)

A huge caution ----- different machines can use different DVDs --- DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD-R, etc. So be sure to buy the proper ones.

Mine has a timer and a quick record, just like a VHS recorder. The machine is amazingly small and thin.

Of course, I consulted Consumer Reports. Mine was in the mid-range. I chose it because it is the same brand as my TV. Just me.

Mine can accept a camcorder, which was another selling point for me.

I cannot say that I can set up the recording as quickly as I did on the VHS recorder, but that will come with familiarity.

I called the tech support once early on with a stupid old lady question, and the fellow was patient in providing the answer.

Hope this helps.

BTW, the book tells how much time is on a VHS as to in which mode it was recorded. Also, when formating the disk is necessary or not.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Thx, and I have both DVD-R and +R on hand always
by Roger NC / January 17, 2006 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: It works well.

Since my laptop requires +R disc to write, and the desktops to either - or + I buy both on sale.

I'd use all +R but for two factors. Most importantly, they recommend using -R for better compatibility with more DVD players (esp tv dvd players). And -R is on sale more.

So I use -R for almost all recording at home on computers and just keep enough +R to back up my photos with the laptop when we're on a trip.

When travelling, we save photos to laptop everynight, and I normally burn a CD each night too after saving new ones to harddrive (paranoidia reigns).

On a weeks trip to somewhere really photographic like Yosemite last summer, to back up everything end of week, I need several CD or one DVD. By the end of the week in California at SIS house, I had about 2.5 gig of photos on harddrive. I wanted disc backup before travelling home and SIS wanted copy too, so burnt DVD's.

I need to go back and read up on several models, I'm really interest in a DVR abilities in how many shows I can set up to repeat regularly in recording and how many I can record and/or watch at the same time.

And the VCR/DVD would do well because I could convert all my parents VHS camcorder tapes of grandkids growing up to DVD for them.

Thanks for the info on how your's is doing.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!