General discussion

Hex? numbers and wireless connections

I have an iBook with a graphite airport with a dialup. I bought a Compaq Presariao 2104us to have access to those sites which have poor or non-existent Mac capabilities.

The lower-right button on the Compaq brings up the "hotspots" in the area. It shows my Airport Name but won't let me connect. (It was a real eye-opener to have that name show. Also going to try to change that obvious name.)

I tried going to the iBook to set permissions and was asked for info I don't know how to find. (Tried the Apple Profiler) Another spot indicated that unless I entered hex numbers, the "hotspot" was open to anyone. (but me since I don't have a clue) I ran screaming.

If I hadn't been shook, I might have used the "Airport Assistant and Utility" programs. Would it give me the HEX numbers related to assigning passwords or whatever or is there something easier than needing TECHeese HEX numbers?

Before I venture into this area again, please tell me how to gather the necessary numbers, or whatever required by Airport, iBook and Compaq and my ISP and ??. If it matters, I have Norton Firewall on the iBook and ZoneAlarm Pro 4 on the Compaq (and am stumbling thru that maze). Made one direct phone-line connect of the Compaq--wish I remembered how I did that. Apple did a good job making me think I might know something about computers and then I hit this wall.

My goal is to let my Compaq use the Airport's dialup and lockout any opportunist who might push a similar button and see my Airport's name. (If someone finds a way to use my Airport can they also see my computer? One revenge, I unplug my Airport when I'm thru. I can hope they are into something important when I pull the plug.)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Hex? numbers and wireless connections
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hex? numbers and wireless connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
HEX

Take a good look at the PDF manual, on the CD, that came with the Airport. It goes into great detail on how to set it up for the Mac AND Windows machines.
The HEX numbers are part of the security setup for the Airport.
Just follow the instructions in the manual and you should be fine

P

- Collapse -
Thank you, I'll give it a try right after

a Chamomile or two (and I find my disk)

CNET Forums

Forum Info