Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Herpes. 50% of all Black Women have it.

by James Denison / August 22, 2011 12:47 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Herpes. 50% of all Black Women have it.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Herpes. 50% of all Black Women have it.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is over a year old
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 3:25 AM PDT

Why raise the issue now?

Mark

Collapse -
Nothing's changed since then, and
by James Denison / August 22, 2011 9:14 AM PDT

I don't remember a thread on it before. Do you? Anyway, it was a current link on a page I hit today, so didn't realize it was a year old, but it's still current too since the condition continues. You know, Bush is an old story, certainly more than a year ago, yet I keep hearing about him over and over again on these forums.

Collapse -
Good analogy, James!
by Josh K / August 22, 2011 10:40 PM PDT

Bush and herpes -- two gifts that just keep on giving even after the gift-giver has gone away. Hopefully, unlike genital herpes, the damage Bush did to our economy can be cured.

Question: if someone has herpes should they stop blaming the person who gave it to them if that person isn't around anymore?

Wink

Collapse -
Question, Josh...
by J. Vega / August 23, 2011 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Good analogy, James!

Josh, if somebody had posted your first sentence with Obama where you said Bush, what would you think of that tactic?

Collapse -
If Obama had been presiding...
by Josh K / August 23, 2011 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Question, Josh...

.....when most of the world's economy crashed due to abuses made easier by deregulatory policies he supported, I'd say the exact same thing.

George W. Bush did to America what Led Zeppelin used to do to hotel rooms, and while it's still the hotel's job to clean it up, they didn't make the mess and saying "Well, they've left town so stop talking about them" doesn't hold water.

Collapse -
Josh, are you saying...
by J. Vega / August 23, 2011 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Question, Josh...

Josh, are you saying that comparing any politician to genital herpes is an acceptable thing to do, if you dislike them?

Collapse -
James analogized them first
by Josh K / August 23, 2011 1:47 AM PDT

Perhaps you can ask him. I merely applauded the analogy. Wink

Collapse -
No, he didn't, Josh...
by J. Vega / August 23, 2011 2:14 AM PDT

He did not Josh, he was talking about posting references old stories. You went from age of stories posted to an attempt to compare a particular politician with herpes. To me, that looked like a degradation of the thread.

Collapse -
Degradation....
by Josh K / August 23, 2011 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No, he didn't, Josh...

....of a thread with a misleading title from a poster with a history of anti-black comments and slurs? Okee dokee.

Collapse -
That report is a misquote of the facts.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 4:25 AM PDT

What's that old expression?
"Figures don't lie but liars figure."

That link you reference is another case of someone mis-reporting a study.

I have another link for you and here is what it says:

"This means that they have been exposed to the herpes virus, but it does not mean that these women have actually developed the disease or have active herpes. In fact, they may never develop active herpes."

http://www.theroot.com/views/behind-herpes-numbers.

Collapse -
According to CDC, that's an "infection rate"
by James Denison / August 22, 2011 9:17 AM PDT

Now, it might not be showing at all times, but "infected" means ya got it!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/03/09/ps-herpes-usa-idUSN0923528620100309

About 16 percent of
Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with
genital herpes, making it one of the most common sexually
transmitted diseases, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday. Black women had the highest rate of infection at 48 percent
and women were nearly twice likely as men to be infected,
according to an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention. About 21 percent of women were infected with genital
herpes, compared to only 11.5 percent of men, while 39 percent
of blacks were infected compared to about 12 percent for
whites, the CDC said.

Collapse -
I can't agree that the report is a misquote ...
by Bill Osler / August 23, 2011 2:52 AM PDT

Whatever the flaws of the methodology, the report did not misrepresent the findings. Also, in the article you referenced, the critics themselves were the ones who misrepresented the methodology of the study. For example, one of the critics complained about studies on STDs that sample patients at STD clinics. That may be a valid complaint, but it is completely irrelevant to the NHANES study that produced the statistics quoted in the OP.

The study does not show that ~50% of African-American women have active Herpes (HSV) NOR does it show that ~50% of these women ever had active/symptomatic disease, but it does show that they have been exposed to HSV at a rate significantly higher than the other groups sampled. Also, since antibodies develop in response to an infection, the results suggest that a large proportion of African-American women have been infected with HSV. What proportion of these women have episodes of clinical disease is unclear, but it is safe to assume that clinical disease would be significantly more frequent in these women than in the other groups studied since the exposure rate is so much higher.

I don't know what national statistics look like, but these study results are consistent with my own observation that African American patients tend to become sexually active at younger age than other groups and that they tend to have more partners. Thus it is not surprising they would have a higher rate of STD exposure/infection.

Unfortunately, it appears that other social groups are heading down the same path. My impression is that the overall prevalence of promiscuous sexual behavior is increasing in most demographic groups.

Collapse -
(NT) Black men probably gave it to them
by Diana Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 4:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
And I suppose white folks suffer more
by Steven Haninger / August 22, 2011 7:21 PM PDT

from sunburn though black folks are not immune. As for STDs, predisposition might be a factor but proliferation of them is more a matter of attitude than genetics. And any curative measures would need to be applied across racial boundaries to be most effective. If you have active noxious weed growth in one part of your yard, you look beyond that area if you plan to eradicate them completely.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?