Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Here's some info on Russia, and its origins, nice map too

by Rob_Boyter / March 1, 2014 5:18 PM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_people

Norse origin "According to the most prominent theory, the name Rus', like the Finnish name for Sweden (Ruotsi), is derived from an Old Norse term for "the men who row" (rods-) as rowing was the main method of navigating the rivers of Eastern Europe, and that it could be linked to the Swedish coastal area of Roslagen (Rus-law) or Roden, as it was known in earlier times.[1][8][9] The name Rus' would then have the same origin as the Finnish and Estonian names for Sweden: Ruotsi and Rootsi."

Finnish and Estonian are part of the Finno Ugric Language group which is not Indo-European in origin.

The damned Vikings did the same thing to Ireland after the period of the Map included above which is Europe at the death of Charlemagne, Karl die Grosse, Charles the Great, whatever you want to call him. Vikings established the major cities in Ireland most of which lie on the coast or on the River Shannon and other rivers.

While the Vikings went everywhere, they tended to lose their language quite quickly and to adopt the language of wherever they settled, which is why the Normans of Normandy spoke a variant of a Gothic language when they arrived in Normandy and spoke French by the time they invaded their Gothic brethren the Angles and Saxons in England (Angle-land) in 1066. Roughly a period of 150 years or less.

Note also that Asia Minor was still Greek at that time, the Magyars occuppied the western Ukraine, and hadn't moved into Hungary. Magyars also are part of the Finno-Ugric family of languages.

The Moors or Western segment of the Umayyad Caliphate had been defeated in 732 at the Battle of Tours (which should really be called the Battle of Poitiers since it occurred closer to Poitiers than Tours) by Frankish leader Charles Martel. The Abbasid Caliphate replaced the Umayyad Caliphate afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Frankish_Empire_481_to_814-en.svg

And we think we live in difficult or confusing times. At least we don't have the Vikings beating down our door or wanting to make the Blood Eagle out of our leaders. You can look that one up yourselves, my stomach gets queasy just writing it.

Rob
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Here's some info on Russia, and its origins, nice map too
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Here's some info on Russia, and its origins, nice map too
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Byzantine emperors...
by Paul C / March 1, 2014 5:58 PM PST

...hired as personal security Viking warriors. They became known as the Varangian Guards. "Varangian" was a term that Slavs used to describe Vikings, who sailed smaller scale versions of their longships all over Europe's rivers. As a matter of fact, the Varangians played a large part in the establishment of what became known as the Kievan Rus' - the first "Russian" state.

I agree with you about the Blood Eagle. I once had that described to me and felt very nauseous afterwards.

Collapse -
Thanks Paul. I'd run across the term Varangian, but didn't
by Rob_Boyter / March 4, 2014 2:22 AM PST

know who they were. I appreciate learning that info.

It's amazing that so much movement of quite large groups of people took place at various times, most of it by what used to be called Shank's Mare (meaning by walking). The Vikings were the possessors of the fast mode of transport at the time and made remarkable use of it.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.