HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Here's A New One On Me //\\ Exhausted All Efforts.....

by electonv / February 12, 2004 12:14 PM PST

I am trying to install a program that has already been installed before... It is for a friend of mine... The computer is as follows...

Windows XP home
512 MB ram
200 gig harddrive

The program was installed before and was working properly... one day it decided not to work well and they tried to delete it and re-install it... *doesn't work that way...

What I've done... I have done all of the following... add/remove the program, then go to the directory and delete the folder, remove spyware, do a virus search, and also defrag the harddrive and use a window washer program... and still get the same error as follows:

C:\Docum~\owner\LOCALS~1\GLF41.tmp could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. The process cannot access the file becuase it is being used by another process...

It is a program called "Contractors' Forms" and it does what seems to be an install... afterwards you can go to start\programs and click on the exe file to run it and then it errors out...

I have: made sure I am the administrator... the files destination is accessible... and there is plenty of room on the hardrive...

Also the disk is new and there is no scratches, plus it easily installed on another computer...

This is a bought program.. not a copy.. not a download... and oddly enough all of the files are recognized by windows except for if you right click on windows you will get about 20 some odd files on the new> for document types, that have that "unassigned" icon out to the left as if they aren't recognized...

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH... help fella's... I have tried it all... could it be that the registry needs to be cleaned... and how can I do that easily and without messing anything else up...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Here's A New One On Me //\\ Exhausted All Efforts.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Here's A New One On Me //\\ Exhausted All Efforts.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Here's A New One On Me //\\ Exhausted All Efforts.....
by miqell / February 12, 2004 1:10 PM PST

Did you try a system restore to a point before the program started messing up?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2004 7:44 PM PST

"C:\Docum~\owner\LOCALS~1\GLF41.tmp" is a clue. Try this as Administrator rather than logged on as "owner."

Bob

Collapse -
Answer these to maybe give somebody a clue.
by Cursorcowboy / February 12, 2004 11:35 PM PST
C:\Docum~\owner\LOCALS~1\GLF41.tmp could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. The process cannot access the file becuase it is being used by another process...

1. Have you tried the keys Alt+Tab to see if there are something there you're not being able to see such as a context window behind another?

2. What is shown if you perform the key combinations, Ctrl+Alt+Del?

3. Anything out of the norm runnning in the background on boot? If nothing else, give what is.
Collapse -
Re:Answer these to maybe give somebody a clue.
by JenDScot / February 17, 2004 9:10 PM PST

Here is a good question: Are there any files in that Temp? Most temps can be deleted without affecting performance, and are just files left or dumped behind after an installation of a program. How much content is in the temp file, your cache for the temp may be overloaded, especially some programs (like ICQ) can add temp files while it runs, which you can also delete after closing it. You have to be aware of how much you store in your caches, for it is limited in space, and you can adjust your cache size in your temp internet files, in your internet settings, but you have to clean the temp cache.

Collapse -
NT - Seems to me the falacy there is -> 'you have access to the destination directory' not overloaded
by Cursorcowboy / February 17, 2004 11:04 PM PST

Collapse -
by Guest User / February 17, 2004 10:55 AM PST

The clue is the file listed. Go to your C; drive do a search w/ hidden & system files/folders enabled & do a search on '*.tmp'. Delete ALL tmp file extensions from within the search window & try again.

Collapse -
have you login as the 'real' administrator?
by Gakada / February 17, 2004 12:32 PM PST

In windows XP home, the real administrator can only be access from Safemode...

F8 on reboot, choose safemode, login as administrator .. then try to fix your PC.

disable system restore if necessary.

Good Luck

Collapse -
by cray4 / February 17, 2004 12:45 PM PST

I am not 100% sure of this but believe that I have run into this before. Try deleting all temp files 1st then check your virtual memory setting. Hope this helps I would research this a little more but it is late and just thought this may help.

Collapse -
by Scorpop / February 23, 2004 12:17 AM PST

When you have once again performed ALL the normal deletion procedurers then make a backup of your registry; run regedit and remove all occurences of the program including keys and sub keys.
Reboot then re-install.

Don't forget to take all precautions before editing the registry, such as a system snapshot and any backups you may need to do.

Kev'.

Collapse -
by branhamr / February 23, 2004 12:34 AM PST

The first thing I would try is getting rid of that temp file. Navigate to the directory in Windows Explorer and either delete or rename it. If it is locked (i.e., shows open by some running process), boot up in safe mode and try again. I usually rename files, adding a extra letter to the file extension. Change it from ".tmp" to ".tmpx" - makes it easy to revert if needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.