Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Here's a little test for anyone over 40 - Have Fun!

by Brown Sugar / July 1, 2004 7:50 AM PDT

1. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, "Who was that masked man?" Invariably, someone would answer, "I don't know, but he left this behind." What did he leave behind? _______________________.

2. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. in early 1964, we all watched them on the, _______________________ show.

3. Get your kicks ___________________________.

4. The story you are about to see is true. The names have been
changed _____________________.

5. In the jungle, the mighty jungle _____________________________.

6. After the twist, the mashed potato, and the watusi, we "danced" under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the _____________________.

7. Nestle makes the very best __________________.

8. Satchmo was America's "ambassador of goodwill". Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was ,_______________ ______________.

9. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? ______________________.

10. Red Skelton's hobo character was ,___________________________. and he always ended his television show by saying, "Good night,
and ___________________________.

11. Some of us who protested the Vietnam war did so by burning our ________________________.

12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front, was called the VW. What other names did it go by? __________________________ & _______________________

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about,"the day the music died." This was a tribute to ________________________.

14. We can remember the first satelite placed into orbit. The Russians did it; it was called ______________________.

15. One of the big fads of the late fifties and sixties was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist; it was called the _______________________.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Here's a little test for anyone over 40 - Have Fun!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Here's a little test for anyone over 40 - Have Fun!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Here's a little test for anyone over 40 - Have Fun!
by MarciaB / July 1, 2004 8:06 AM PDT

Thanks, Brown Sugar, I love this kind of stuff. Showing my age here.....I believe I knew at least 13 of the 15, but, honestly, I had more fun making up other answers Happy e.g.,

1. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, "Who was that masked man?" Invariably, someone would answer, "I don't know, but he left this behind." What did he leave behind? Horse dung

4. The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the politicians.

5. In the jungle, the mighty jungle carry an economy sized can of bug spray.

6. After the twist, the mashed potato, and the watusi, we "danced" under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the "Is there a chiropractor in the building?"

7. Nestle makes the very best Health Food!

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about,"the day the music died." This was a tribute to 8-track tapes.

14. We can remember the first satelite placed into orbit. The Russians did it; it was called Sateliteinsky-WebeatUSky.

15. One of the big fads of the late fifties and sixties was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist; it was called the "look stupid trying this as an adult".

Marcia/Oregon/USA

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ROTFLOL. That's wonderful, Marcia!
by Brown Sugar / July 1, 2004 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL too funny! NT
by lylesg / July 1, 2004 11:57 AM PDT

Collapse -

Hi, Marcia.

Your #1 reminds me of an old joke:

What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming? Here come the elephants!

What did he say when they left? Watch where you step!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / July 1, 2004 11:58 AM PDT

Forty is young. Try

1. Silver bullet
2. Ed Sullivans (really big show)
3. on Rt 66
4. the innocent
5. The Lion Sleeps Tonight (old ripped off folk song)
6. Limbo
7. Choooccclaaaat
8. Louis Armstong
9. A Timex watch you try to destroy
10. Freddie the Freeloader and "May Gawd Bless"
11. Draft cards (had one of those)
12. beetle, bug, and some German slurs as well
13. debated but concensus seems to be Buddy Holly and those of his ilk
14. Sputnik.....US was the Telstar
15. Hula hoop....I think Art Linkletter was involved with it

Good fun for an old goat! Thanks for the challenge

Collapse -
Easy..no more age quizzes pls. lol
by lylesg / July 1, 2004 12:06 PM PDT

I got 14 and 2/3. Happy Not sure about a third name for the Bug. I know what I called mine somtimes, but I best not go there. Happy

1. Silver bullet
2. Ed Sullivan
3. Route 66
4. To protect the innocent
5, The Lion sleeps tonight
6. Limbo rock
7. Choc. bar
8. Brother Louie
9. Timex
10. Freddy the freeloader and "May God Bless."
11. Draft
12. Bug, Beetle and ??
13. Buddy Holly
14. Sputnik
15. Hoola-hoop.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) #13 -- Plus The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens :-(
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 1, 2004 1:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
you are right...I got 14-1/3.
by lylesg / July 2, 2004 11:18 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re: little test for anyone over 40 -- Bonus question!

Re #7 -- what was the dog's name who filled in the dotted line, and what breed?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Bonus question...
by J. Vega / July 1, 2004 3:38 PM PDT

Farfel. Very long floppy ears, long snout, droopy eyes, I can't call the supposed breed.
Trivia: The hoolah-hoop sold for $4.95, AIR. The original WHAMMO ones were made of wood, just like the ones that they saw in an Austrailian exercise class. They quickly changed to plastic. I'd love to know what an original wooden one goes for in the collectibles market.

Collapse -
Re: Bonus question... Right -- he's a bassett hound...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 1, 2004 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Bonus question...
Collapse -
Wasn't Neil, Dave...
by J. Vega / July 2, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

Dave, on "Topper" (Cosmo Topper), wasn't Neil a St. Bernard? Owned by George and Marian Kirby AIR. (All 3 of them were ghosts, and Neil had a drinking problem.)

Collapse -
Re: Wasn't Neil, Dave...
by SE Moderators / July 2, 2004 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Wasn't Neil, Dave...

Hi, J.

Doggone it ( Wink ), you're right -- Neil was a St. Barnard... Bur Farfal was definitely a bassett.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Did you, Dave...
by J. Vega / July 2, 2004 6:05 AM PDT

Dave did you also "catch it" for drawing directly on the TV screen during "Winky ****"? Holy Plastigoop, I heard about that for years (grin). I still miss rootbeer "Fizzies" and rootbeer flavored Kool-Aid. (Best spent nickel out there with the latter.)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 14 of 15 - Never a big Red Skelton fan
by Dan McC / July 1, 2004 11:16 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?