The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Here is my solution to the ad-blocking controversy

by Vance14 / September 24, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

Here is an idea for resolving the debate over whether blocking web ads should be allowed, or whether it is immoral.

Just allow ad-blocking, but also allow any web page to detect ad-blocking software and reject visitors using it! They can just put up a simple screen saying that they do not allow ad-blocking software, and that to visit the site, the ad-blocker will have to be disabled or the site "white-listed". The visitor then decides.

Then the free market will decide. Is the content of the site worth putting up with the ads? No "free" content here!

This is even more fair than commercials on TV since either the viewer can just leave the room, or much worse, TIVO them right out! Here at least a content provider can determine whether the "freeloader" will still be able to view their content.

Brilliant, I say!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Here is my solution to the ad-blocking controversy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Here is my solution to the ad-blocking controversy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how about this....
by mementh / September 24, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

how about this, adblock and the ad agencys get together to allow blocking.. or at least in a sense

currently
Ad agencys see adblocker they have two choices. don't show ads or show and adblocker blocks

future plan
Customer installs ad blocker. Sets it up and says what types of ads can go though without blocking.. (text ads like google,flash,video,pictures)

and when user goes to site and sees adblocker it asks what it can serve and displays what it can.

The user has the right to block all ads.
The site has the right to block access without some kind of ad.

this way the ads are served but in a non offencive way.

Collapse -
I don't care about ads hosted by the site
by pepperirwin / September 24, 2007 1:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
can't view @ work
by mementh / September 24, 2007 1:37 PM PDT

flickr is blocked here @ work i think..

ohh well i will have to check back tonight

Collapse -
What about Zooomr?
by pepperirwin / September 24, 2007 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: can't view @ work
Collapse -
nope
by mementh / September 25, 2007 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: What about Zooomr?

nope and thanks thats a UGLY site

Collapse -
thanks for the heads up
by Papa Chango / September 25, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

Im not going enter this debate except to say that all this talk about ad-blocking got me interested enough to finally take a whole 5 seconds to install the AdBlockPlus plugin for Firefox.
Knew it existed. Didnt really care enough to be bothered. Now, I aint taking it off.

So congrats to all who made a stink about ad-blocking.
It makes about as much sense as having a 'home video' leaked on the net and then spending countless interviews telling people not to view it.

BTW, Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3 was just released this week
http://adblockplus.org

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.