Speakeasy forum

Rant

Her We Go !

by itsdigger / August 3, 2012 11:39 AM PDT

This happened 2 blocks away from my house last night. 2 blocks the other direction is a major police station. Just when you think you live in a pretty neat part of town, This Happens right in your own back yard. Good ol' Chicago. Let's see if Rahm Emmanuel and Louis Farrakhan jump on this one.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Her We Go !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Her We Go !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thats OK Digger, you'll soon get the hang of it. ^_^
by grimgraphix / August 3, 2012 2:24 PM PDT

It is a shame that such things happen where you live.

Collapse -
(NT) ha! workin on it
by itsdigger / August 3, 2012 2:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hi, digger. I understand your sense of outrage.
by Ziks511 / August 3, 2012 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Her We Go !

Grew up in and around Baltimore, and as kids do, took what happened including crime for granted. Then moved to the bucolic (by comparison) delights of Ann Arbor, and then was dragged up here to Toronto by my wife's career which was better than mine. Toronto has a crime rate most if not all American cities would dream of, but as I became used to this (it's now 32 years, I'm old) I too became outraged when an abduction and murder and then another murder occurred in what we considered our neighbourhood, though it was about 12 blocks away.

Crime is like lightning, it really does strike anywhere. Sure it hits hilltops, and particularly hilltop trees more often than it strikes on the flat, but still, it strikes anywhere, at any time. What you do is you let yourself calm down for the next couple of weeks, and then review that this was essentially a new occurrence in your neighbourhood, and that over the last few years it's been pretty good, and according to the laws of averages, it's likely to continue to be pretty good. That doesn't mean, you may not suffer a double strike. They do happen, but over time things tend to even out.

With regard to the lightning metaphor. Hilltops are high crime areas, usually run down and racially fraught, the flat is everywhere else. Also like the lightning/weather metaphor, there's little you can do about it. The police will be feeling the heat, and I do suggest you contribute to that heat in as productive a fashion as you feel comfortable with, "The squeaky wheel ..." and all that.

Just remember that your feelings of contentment before this were not illusory, they were true. And time will heal

I shook for a month after I was broken into in my apt near the University, but it all calmed down, and eventually I felt okay, and back to normal, but in some ways, it never leaves you entirely. It recedes into the background farther and farther, or further and further, and just becomes part of life.

Best of luck, and remember the good, not the bad.

Rob

Collapse -
oh no you don't
by itsdigger / August 4, 2012 9:52 AM PDT

understand my sense of outrage! I grew up here in Chicago on the south side.in the 50's and we were chased from neighborhood to neighborhood. ( The Libs Don't want to hear the term Blockbusting) having to leave from a neighborhood because your White . We had to keep moving.....Dad was working at night and Mom was protecting us . We ended up in Pullman.The 60's came in the mix and all the sudden free love, Janis Joplin and Ravi Shankar ( always admired his style) . I joined the Army because of all the riots here in high school, Everyday, Every Moment, Every Second, I had to look over my shoulder, Kennedy got shot. King got shot, Gee, The Students For A Democratic Society (SDS) Do you really think that someone in Maryland Could Understand What A Person in Chicago went through! Digger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!