Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Helpppppp!!! LOL:)

www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/6185/brain.wav

I would like to embed this in a forum I belong to. I have embedded images and youtube. Now I have this tiny audio file I want to embed and I get this message when I try:

- You may have entered certain html or script tags which are not permitted. You can insert html and flash, but not script or other objects.

<audio src=http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hills/6185/brain.wav/>

The above is how I've been trying to do it so it will play on the forum thread. I don't want just a link to the other site.

Also I have used embed in place of audio and that doesn't work either.

Thank you in advance for any help you guys might have for me, denise

My system info:

System:

MS Win XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
AMD Sempron(tm)Processor
3100+
1.81 GHz, 480 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Helpppppp!!! LOL:)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Helpppppp!!! LOL:)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since this seems to be a restriction of the forum,

In reply to: Helpppppp!!! LOL:)

your only option would be to ask the Forum Administrators.

There is little we can do to help I'm afraid.

By the way, I have asked our own Admin to edit that link you gave. Whilst I don't suspect you would deliberately provide a link to a virus infected file, I prefer to be safe than sure.

The way that link is posted means that a click on it will download the file directly, and on some members' systems the file would open straight away before they could check it for viruses. These forums prefer to avoid such risks at all times.

I hope you understand.

Mark

Collapse -
Ok, I didn't

In reply to: Since this seems to be a restriction of the forum,

understand that part about viruses so thank you for that.

did you delete it or should I? I don't know if I can but it sounds you handled it.

But the forum says I can use html or flash? I wanted to find out how that works? Do you know how to take out whatever script they are talking about? I don't know which characters are script?

Thanks so much,

denise
PS Maybe there is a site that can show me how to embed without using script, only html, etc??

Collapse -
What I might try

In reply to: Ok, I didn't

I might try something like this;

<object>
<param name="autostart" value="true">
<param name="src" value="eureka.wav">
<param name="autoplay" value="true">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<embed src="eureka.wav" controller="true" autoplay="true" autostart="True" type="audio/wav" />
</object>

Where you would replace the "eureka.wav" with the http source link for your sound, eg "http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hills/6185/brain.wav"

However, there is no guarantee this will work for two reasons;

1] Linking a web site source into the src anchor may not work. Normally a sound wave file is to be found in the same web directory as the html file that is calling it, and not elsewhere on the internet.

2] The forum admins may not allow it.

There may be other reasons. Can I also add, whilst it is not my intention to limit what you are attempting to do, but I find embedded sound files in a web page to be quite off-putting. Embedding sound into web sites was a popular feature when such a procedure was first available some years ago, and it seemed that every other web site I visited had a sound file coming out of the speakers. The trouble is, that sound file would interfere with anything I was listening to, (music, internet radio, etc), and often it would continue playing even if I moved on from the web site, until I closed down the browser. I soon stopped visiting such sites.

Whether that would happen in a forum post I don't know, but I would hope not to find an embedded sound in any forum posts I visited.

Just my point of view.

As to the virus. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I didn't say there was a virus in that file, just that there was no way for others to check if there was before the file opened and started playing. I have not edited your post but I am waiting for CNET Forum's Admin to do so.

Mark

Collapse -
these are little short

In reply to: What I might try

obnoxious things like this one says "what would you do with a brain if you had one". It's just to add to some of the fun, and not so fun discussions we have. Pics are imbedded, some not so nice, and some youtube music but they only play if the person clicks on the button in that thread they open. So it isn't a site wide sound and no, I don't think I can set it to auto start when the post is opened:) Thanks for the info and I can try it:)

denise:)

Collapse -
Is any of that

In reply to: these are little short

"language" script though? As it says I cannot use script, only html or flash?

Thanks Mark:)

Collapse -
But Denise,

In reply to: Is any of that

you did it with the puff.mid

I'm trying to think if you can convert the .wav to a .mid

<CENTER><EMBED SRC="puff.mid" AUTOSTART=TRUE WIDTH=146 HEIGHT=60 LOOP=TRUE><BGSOUND SRC="puff.mid" LOOP=INFINITE></CENTER><BR>
<CENTER><H5>"PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON"</H5></CENTER>

Rick

Collapse -
Hi Rick, and Mark too

In reply to: But Denise,

I feel if I knew what I was using, script or html, I could maybe edit the tag. Im all self-taught on this and self isn't such a good teacher sometimes, LOL! The error message again says "You may have tried to enter some html, flash which is allowed, some, is allowed but script is not?? I didn't quote it right but it's copied up above in my previous messages.

Thanks and Im going to go try your code, denise:)

Collapse -
by the way,

In reply to: Hi Rick, and Mark too

I am trying to link/embed a file(wav)from a website full of these little wav files(free). And enter it into the forum. Hope this helps, denise

Collapse -
Ok, heres the

In reply to: by the way,

code. I had to edit it so it wouldn't keep sounding over and over:

<CENTER><EMBED SRC="http://www.talkingwav.com/various/fart_06.wav" AUTOSTART=TRUE WIDTH=146 HEIGHT=60 LOOP=false><BGSOUND SRC="http://www.talkingwav.com/various/fart_06.wav"</CENTER>

message from forum website when I try to post:
- You may have entered certain html or script tags which are not permitted. You can insert html and flash, but not script or other objects.

Can we weed out the "wrong" stuff and make it work??

Collapse -
I'm just not sure it is going to work.

In reply to: Ok, heres the

As I see it the problem is the .wav file is not in the same directory as the forum postings. It is on a web site elsewhere. That makes defining the <object> code more difficult.

For example, I copied this embed code for a YouTube video, (it is just a video about an interactive computer screen system and the embed code has been offered by the video uploader);

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie"
value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mAKW36z6j0g&hl=en"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent">
</param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mAKW36z6j0g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">
</embed></object>

The interesting thing is that both <object> and <embed> have been used, and the type of application need to view the video has been stated, (type="application/x-shockwave-flash").

You will need to get all the parameters right for this to work. See if you can find anything in Google for embed .wav or similar. There may be some helpful tutorials available.

However, I say again, you may need to contact the forum admin if you keep getting error reports.

Mark

Collapse -
"You may have entered ...

In reply to: Ok, heres the

... entered certain html or script tags which are not permitted. You can insert html and flash, but not script or other objects."

So the thing to do: ask the site admin (or look on their faq) what html-tags are allowed and what are not. You can't ask us. You've got to ask them.
He will be able to solve the problem or tell you it can't be done.

Seems rather simple to me.

Kees

Collapse -
Ok, I will ask:)

In reply to: "You may have entered ...

best idea:) denise

someone can mark this thread "solved" if you guys do that:)

thanks again to all of you, denise

Collapse -
Only 'solved' ...

In reply to: Ok, I will ask:)

if you tell us the results of your call.

And, alas, we don't have such a tag in this forum. And that's nice, maybe, because it wouldn't make a good impression to see all those unsolved ones ;-).

Kees

Collapse -
Hey Rick

In reply to: But Denise,

I reread your reply and wondered what you meant by "I did it with puff.mid?

You mean I was able to enter the img file and the youtube?

Im still at and haven't received a note back from site admin yet:)

Thanks again, denise

Collapse -
If that was the actual code you used ...

In reply to: Helpppppp!!! LOL:)

<audio src=http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hills/6185/brain.wav/>

try altering it this way:

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hills/6185/brain.wav">

note the use of the embed tag and the quotes around the URL and how you eliminate that final slash which makes brain.wav a directory rather than a file (if you don't believe that try the URL you show in your browser - http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hills/6185/brain.wav/

See how that works for you (and I think I would slow that file down a tiny bit too).

Collapse -
Ok, give it a shot

In reply to: If that was the actual code you used ...

thanks a bunch, really:) I learn a lot from you all, denise:)

Collapse -
goll dern it, lol

In reply to: If that was the actual code you used ...

thought I had it, but when I hit preview it went off just fine, but when I hit post, it came up with the message

"You may have entered certain html or script tags which are not permitted. You can insert html and flash, but not script or other objects".

I still say I can code it right, but cannot figure it:( I did send a note to the site admin but good luck hearing back from them:(

If you think of anything else I'd appreciate anything I might try:)

thanks again, denise

Collapse -
Heard from the site admin

In reply to: goll dern it, lol

I can only post photos and videos. Seems silly because these little wav files are so small. Oh well:) Thanks all, the problem is now, well, solved in one way of speaking:)

denise

Collapse -
Well at least you know now.

In reply to: Heard from the site admin

I suspected that was going to be the case. It's interesting that the preview allowed the code to work though.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes, I thought

In reply to: Well at least you know now.

that was weird too. It was like that when I first tried to post an image. It would appear in the preview but not the post.

I altered the code in that and got it. I didn't write the code down though and now I can't go in and see what I used as time has passed for me to edit that particular post. Hit edit and you can see the code. Thank you a lot Mark. denise:)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.