Storage forum

General discussion

Helping finding reviews on Network External Hard Drives

by IamToby / June 15, 2007 3:53 PM PDT

I'm having a hard time finding reviews for network external hard drives (meaning I can plug in the external hard drive into my router using an Ethernet cable to share it over my network) on Cnet.com I can narrow down the reviews to External Hard Drives, but then I don't see anything else to narrow it down to network enabled drives. Am I missing something or what? I did a quick general search on this site and I got back results for humongo data center looking HDs. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. If you know of any other review sites, please let me know, in addition to purchasing sites (other than amazon.com and newegg.com)
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Helping finding reviews on Network External Hard Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Helping finding reviews on Network External Hard Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I own a few.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 10:04 PM PDT

For the most part they just work but with limitations to the file size. Many have FAT32 volumes which gives you that 4GB file limit.

Maybe I've owned one of the ones you are considering.

Today I have the Dlink DSM-G600 and a V-Gear Landisk.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by IamToby / June 18, 2007 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I own a few.

I dunno if I've looked at those specific models but right now I'm just looking for reviews of any model.

Collapse -
I'd check on googlecom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

But these things are commodity items such as blank cds...

Bob

Collapse -
why is there a title for a post....
by IamToby / June 19, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

What do you mean? Most of my searches for a network external HD give me results/reviews for business scale stuff.

Collapse -
Let's get done to work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2007 9:16 AM PDT

Show me a model you are considering and we'll see if we can find a review.

I'll repeat it one more time in case you missed it. These items are becoming "commodity" items. That is something that one is very much like the other.

Bob

Collapse -
LaCie?
by IamToby / June 19, 2007 10:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Or
by IamToby / June 19, 2007 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: LaCie?
Collapse -
Even better?
by IamToby / June 19, 2007 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Or
Collapse -
Yes, just recently a buddy pointed out...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2007 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Even better?

Some USB dual drive housing and a pair of 500GB drives that would RAID to a 1TB for same price. So that price is real.

Bob

Collapse -
Cnet wrote a review.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2007 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: LaCie?
Collapse -
ok
by IamToby / June 19, 2007 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Cnet wrote a review.

So how is it cheaper than other terabyte HDs? Because it's 2 500gb HDs?

Speed is not as important to me as size and price, important yes but the Ximeta is 200 plus for 400GB, which is more than the LaCie for less storage.

Collapse -
That's not told.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2007 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

Most makers will not divulge what they pay for parts or their secret sauce to hit a price.

I don't expect you to find this answer.

Bob

Collapse -
ok 2
by IamToby / June 20, 2007 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That's not told.

I'm thinking I may go with one of these LaCies. I plan to transfer/backup overnight and the file format issue seems to have been solved. Any other advice? You've been very helpful so far.

Btw, would you recommend that terabyte hard drive? I'm just a bit wary of it because it's a ton cheaper than most terabyte hard drives.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2007 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ok 2

Remember that I don't buy brand names for such things so I can't write I'd buy that. However prices fall all the time or you see size/features go up and the price stay the same. There are numerous examples of this in just a few years...

Sorry if my answer seems confusing.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by IamToby / June 20, 2007 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Yeah, I know things will get outdated, cheaper, etc. I'm not too worried on that. Any other advice from having owned an external HD (regardless of brand, model, etc.) or tips that I should know?

Collapse -
Any other advice from having owned an external HD (regardles
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2007 10:02 PM PDT

"Any other advice from having owned an external HD (regardless of brand, model, etc.) or tips that I should know?"

1. It's still a hard disk with all the same issues.

a. It will fail someday.
b. We must have copies of what we can't lose elsewhere.

2. Ask if it supports files bigger than 4GB.

3. Don't bury the device under a pile of gear or in a hot place. It needs a nice cool place just like your PC.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by IamToby / June 22, 2007 2:36 AM PDT

Ok, will do. thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?