Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help - XP Latest Updates - Failed to Load XP and Restarts

by sjunejo / December 28, 2009 8:50 PM PST

Hi All,

I come across very strange problem. Last week my machine running XP Home was infected by 'Boot.Mebroot' virus which curropted my boot configurations and my machine was getting restarted upon loading windows. I tried all the options but no use.

Then I re-install (Upgraded to) XP Professional with complete installation without reformat and updated to latest SP3. It went fine, I ran Symantec and found the ****** and kicked off from my machine. Then I started Windows Live update as I want to bring my PC to latest patches. All the updates got installed without an error (about 58 updates most of them were security update, SP3 and IE8). As soon as I restart my machine it shows the same behaivour. It get restarted. I Repaired my XP professional three time now.

Why I am accusing MS XP Update for all this because Last night everything was running absolutly perfect, I started the update it showed me 58 updates. All update gone successfully. After finishing the the updates I simply restarted my machine and it failed again and restarting again and again. It shows me F8 boot options and I tried all but same. So I repaired this morning again.

I tried the 'fixmbr' command in recovery console and it displays the dangerous message that 'This machine boot have some problem' but if you ruin FIXMBR you might loose the partition and stuff so I didn't run it as I have very important data on my disk.

Is there anyone who can help me with this problem please.

Thanks & Regards,
--
SJunejo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - XP Latest Updates - Failed to Load XP and Restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - XP Latest Updates - Failed to Load XP and Restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your first task
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 9:57 PM PST

is to backup all of those "Important files" you mention. It's your choice but with all the installing/re-installing you are doing, you are going to lose those files at some stage, then you have lost everything.

That has to be the most important job before you do anything else.

When you have done that, then since this problem keeps recurring upon install/re-install, I would then use that genuine XP CD to reformat the whole drive and install XP as a fresh install.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks...
by sjunejo / December 29, 2009 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Your first task

Mark...Yes I know I have to reinstall my windows at some point and as you have mentioned I should take backup at first instance before I try anything else.

That's what am I doing at the moment. But the only point to ask this question here is to confirm that first it is not related to a hardware failure. Secondly its is because of some MS Update (My doubt is for MS Malicious Software Removal Tool) as I have narrowed down the event occurred at least last two times of the whole scenario???? If it is because of some particular update..than I should be careful next time when I am updating my system and will be helpful for others.

Regards,

--
SJunejo

Collapse -
To the hardware question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 2:38 AM PST

"XP Home was infected by 'Boot.Mebroot' virus"

Sorry, no. That is not a hardware issue. What we often have to do is find out where these infections are coming from. The most common is P2P, TORRENTS and CRACKS. Sometimes the owners can't go without such and end up spending too much at the repair shop or buying new machines in (their) hope that a new machine won't be "bad."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.