Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP! XP Corrupted/ Need help installing XP from .exe file

by slee23 / March 26, 2006 5:50 AM PST

Hello world! I realy, realy need help.
I'll start at the beginning.
Last week I was doing regular cleaning with "Fix It" utils getting rid of junk files, reg optimization etc.
Preparing to deal with the pop up trojan "h91746.exe" which had been poppin up all afternoon.
I looked it up on the net and it didn't seem that it was a killer or anything so I figured I'd get my sys solid before I went after it.Thats where it happened, I believe.
After running spy scans, and a reg clean-up and optimization the computer restarted and my nightmare began.
*******************[Ill System]***********************
[Symptom] Windows boots to the "VAIO" logo, then the processor logo, then the screen goes black for about 5 sec. then reboots! Over and over and over ad-infinitum!
[System](Desktop- Sony RS-620G 3.0Mhz chip / 512 RAM /
[2]160 GB HD's [one with XP Sp2-the other storage only]
and a DVD ROM and DVD+_CDRW drive.
The OS originally was on a partition on the HD so no disks were provided when purchased and like an idiot I didn't create the disks with the app provided. So of course about a year ago the partition became infected and I had to re-format the drive and re-install XP.
Affectivly destroying the factory partition for good.
So now I just have a drive with a regular XP install.
********This is what I've done so far.************
Having a system that just keeps rebooting and rebooting
and no system disks I amassed all useful tools I had available.
1. Mom's laptop with internet connectivity.
2. The Gateway OS recovery disk for Mom's laptop.
3. A 1 GB USB Microdrive
4. A 40 GB HD from a computer I don't use currently.
5. An internet community of System Guru's that know more
about what I'm doin' than I do!
***[Again the System Info]**************************
Desktop- Sony RS620G- 3.0Mhz chip / 512 RAM /
[2]160 GB HD's [one with the corrupted XP Sp2 OS -the other storage only]+ the 40 GB HD now with the Gateway XP recovery system on it]and a DVD ROM and DVD+_CDRW drive.
*******[What I've done so far cont:******************
O.K. so I figured I needed to try to get to the registry that I assumed was the culprit. I went into the bios and set the DVD ROM as the 1st boot device. The Gateway system disk that I had, I was told, some sort of repair SW on it that could be used as oposed to instlling Sys SW. So, I booted with that found the "DOS" command line utils and ran a "Fix Boot". I then re-configed the Bios, and still had the reboot problem. Next, I remembered that I had a drive in my old Micron computer and took it out to see what was on it. Win ME. It was a start.
So I decided to install the Gagteway recovery disk's XP system onto the 40GB micron HD and put it into the Sony with the bad 160GB drive so I could at least get a look and access to the bad system/drive. It worked. So now I have the 40GB [C:\Drive] drive with XP pre-SP1(should I install?)and the 160GB XP SP2[D:\Drive] drive with the wacky rebooting system on it that I can finally access.
NOW: I found several apps on the D:\drive(160GB broke sys drive)that had reg "fix" capabilities and ran one.
I havent tried a reboot yet with the bad drive, instead I figured that I should write this and see if I'm on the right track at all considering one more piece of info that I'll add [Here]; On the D:\160GB broke sys drive I found in a folder: "Windows XP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe"
272,391 KB sized Sys SW file!
Can this be used in a helpful way (he asked hoping for an emphatic; yes, definately! answer)
So, here's where I am now. Hoping for some kind person to lead me in the proper direction.
I can't access the internet yet with the desktop but I can with the laptop and use the 1GB microdrive to shuttle files back and forth.
I can't loose the files on the 160GB drive with the bad system and any help would be much, much, much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-Mark> *
3-design@usa.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! XP Corrupted/ Need help installing XP from .exe file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! XP Corrupted/ Need help installing XP from .exe file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"no system disks" = no spare tire and I've got a flat. SPAM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 6:06 AM PST

Now that we know we don't have the proper tools, the first step is to remove and set aside any hard disks that we need to save the files on.

The next steps are to get the restore CDs proper, wipe the remaining drives and then after we've installed firewalls and antivirus proper we can then add those drives and see if we survived.

I do read "Desktop- Sony RS620G- 3.0Mhz chip / 512 RAM / [2]160 GB HD's [one with the corrupted XP Sp2 OS -the other storage only]+ the 40 GB HD now with the Gateway XP recovery system on it]" but that's the wrong OS so it's likely to give nothing but grief.

Putting your email address in posts here will get you a lot of spam. Just click on the report offensive post to have this post removed and you can try again.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't Know if This Would Help, But..Since You Now Have ....
by tobeach / March 26, 2006 2:29 PM PST

access to the XP:
Original XP Install includes a second clean copy of ALL system files by default. These files are used to replace any corrupt ones found when you run a CheckDisk/Repair.
If you still have the boot problem you might be able to bypass by going straight to safe mode and running the check disk from there.
If you wish to try here's how:

Disk/repair (Check Disk) (like SFC)
Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
In regular mode will take about 1 Hour (more/less)
In Safe Mode about 2 hours.
If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
This is based on using an onboard copy of sys
files if copy is ok.
If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand.

Here's hoping your "clean" onboard copy is still intact! Good Luck! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.