Networking & Wireless forum

help with XBOX and general routing advice

by sup3r_b0wlz / January 17, 2012 5:54 AM PST

hey ive had this issue several times but my best friend just got an xbox and
its a bigger issue now. whenever we try to joiun xbox live partys or play COD or
any game together it says session unavailable or party unavailable or something
like that. were both connected and both NAT's are open. whats going on? now my
network setup is kinda interesting, i have the original router (a linksys
WRT54G) that the internet comes into and then goes to the imidiate computers
and wireless, then because we didnt get wifi in the other corner of my house i
ran an ethernet around the house to a second router (a linksys WRT120N (i
think)) and set that up so that i can get wifi anywhere, my Xbox and my computer
are plugged into this router.
do i need any special settings for this? like to do with NAT?
how would i forward the ports to my XBOX if its going through both
and also are there better ways (as in settings for the routers) to do what im

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help with XBOX and general routing advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help with XBOX and general routing advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 6:00 AM PST

Do thinks work if (for the sake of experiment) you eliminate the WRT120N from the picture, so only connect (wired and wireless) to the first router?

Also, when setting up the second router as an access point, did you note the red "Do not use this port" (that's the WAN port) in the instruction in
That's valid also for the linksys.

Collapse -
Re: Xbox
by sup3r_b0wlz / January 17, 2012 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: XBOX

i dont know is that the internet port? i went to the linksys site and searched cascading routers and told me 2 ways to do it one was all i had to do was plug it into a lan port (which works im not sure if it works with getting into the party though) and the other was the internet port and changing a setting or something. i need to do a little more testing on it but the reason i picked the internet port was for more lan ports on the router cuz we need um

Collapse -
more info
by sup3r_b0wlz / January 17, 2012 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Xbox

just noticed that the way i had it set up wouldnt let me see other computers not connected to the wrt120n router. if i plug it into a LAN port and disable DHCP then it works like a charm. this is how id like it to work but i would like to have the extra LAN too. if not i can deal with it too maybe get a switch or something, but now i just need my friend to get online so i can test if it works like this or if it works if i plug it straight into the xbox too

Collapse -
more info
by sup3r_b0wlz / January 18, 2012 3:14 AM PST

Albright so if I eliminate the wrt120n router everything works great. But if I plug it into the lan port on the wrt n and then into the Xbox from another LAN it doesn't. Im assuming I can fix this with some tuning of the routers settings. Maybe not though.
Im curious there's a NAT setting jn my router. Does it help to turn that off? Its on by default but I think it says to turn it off if there are multiple routers. I'll be able to mess around with it more tonight. Thanks for any suggestions and help!

Collapse -
morrreee info
by sup3r_b0wlz / January 18, 2012 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: more info

sorry im like quadruple posting now but my last one was a little confusing. Everything works both of those ways, with or without the wrt120n but if i go straight from the first router to the Xbox i can join with my friend where if i go into the LAN port of the wrt120n and then to the Xbox i cannot join games with him just thought I'd clarify what wasn't working

Collapse -
by sup3r_b0wlz / January 22, 2012 11:30 AM PST

anyone have any ideas?

Collapse -
by bill012 / January 22, 2012 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: anyone?

It sound like you are only using the wired ports on the remote router. When it is working correctly what you have done was convert the router to a switch. It is actually much easier to buy a $20 8 port switch.

Not sure your problem you had said you had it working using just the lan ports and disabling the DHCP. That is the normal method to do this. You can ignore any other setting like NAT and port forwarding since they mean nothing since they only relate to traffic coming in via the wan port.

Collapse -
thank you
by sup3r_b0wlz / January 22, 2012 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Router/switch

thanks bill that helps a lot. the only thing with a switch is can it throw out wireless? thats the real reason i want this second router switch thing. thank you tho that helps a lot

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?