Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help with Wireless Network/Bridge

by culax / November 15, 2004 11:33 PM PST

I "borrow" wireless internet from the guys that live next door using my laptop and internal wireless card. However, the signal in my apartment is very weak/not there in many spots of my apartment. My question is if there is a way to extend/repeat a wireless signal using a bridge if you aren't the owner of the original wireless router?? Thanks for your help in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Wireless Network/Bridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Wireless Network/Bridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help with Wireless Network/Bridge
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 11:37 PM PST

Not from my network. Here's why. I enabled MAC filtering so only machines I listed will connect.

With your knowledge level, you can't fix it.

Besides, it seems you are pilfering your neighbor's connection and that's being a poor and inconsiderate neighbor.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Help with Wireless Network/Bridge
by culax / November 16, 2004 12:27 AM PST

Good for you for enabling your MAC filter. My college neighbors haven't and don't care that I borrow their internet. I have offered to pay and they said that it doesn't matter. My knowledge level on the subject is low but I do know a thing or two about setting up a home network. If you would like to suggest something, that would be excellent but save your judgement and bragging for someone else.

Collapse -
You need to post such information or else suffer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 12:43 AM PST

Your original post will invite people to roast you. Next time tell the complete story to avoid the roast.

I will not retract my views about poaching someone's internet connections. It's a bad practice and no one will help others do it in these forums.

-> With that out of the way. Here's what you need.

I helped my neighbor just last week fill in a few weak spots. We installed a REPEATER.

Some routers can function as a repeater, but I don't recall you supplying the make and model numbers of what equipment you have.

As such, I await you to fill in the blanks.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: You need to post such information or else suffer.
by culax / November 16, 2004 12:59 AM PST

Roast me? From what I've read that isn't the policy of these forums and "personal attacks" aren't allowed.

If you disagree with what a bunch of college students are doing, then thats fine but thats your opinion to keep to yourself. If you don't want to give any suggestion then just don't post. I'm just a college student who was curious about increasing the signal of my wireless internet connection in my apartment.

I am using my toshiba laptop running XP with a built in wireless network card and I can't tell you the what kind of router is being used because it isn't mine. I appreciate you telling me about the repeater and now I wonder if a repeater must be the same brand as the router? I obviously don't have access to the router but I've established that they know I use their signal.

Collapse -
Just post something that your OS is pirated and watch the...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 1:48 AM PST

Sparks will fly. That's not a personal attack.

If you want help, don't write posts that border on theft of services. I'll help you out, but no one will help a thief in these forums.

Back on topic, the repeater doesn't have to be the same make/model, but I like to match when possible.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just post something that your OS is pirated and watch th
by culax / November 16, 2004 4:22 AM PST

The wireless router is a netgear. I'm not sure of the model yet. Once I've got the repeater, then what is the next step?

Collapse -
WIth the repeater, it's very simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 6:38 AM PST

You place the repeater when you think the best reception is and it relays the signal for it's range (feet or such) again.

The simplest repeaters are laughably simple. I like them. You plug it in the AC socket and press the one button on it...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: WIth the repeater, it's very simple.
by culax / November 16, 2004 1:05 PM PST

Any suggestions on brand/which one to use? The router is netgear but they don't make a repeater from what I've seen. Some of their products may act as repeaters in "repeat mode" but should I find a dedicated wireless repeater of another brand? Also, any good suggestions on where to buy the hardware?

Collapse -
Very simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: You need to post such information or else suffer.
by lizb3th / November 16, 2004 9:19 AM PST

I just read about your installing a "repeater." My router's signal does not reach my son's room on the 3rd floor, so he can't use his wireless laptop; Lynksis suggested I buy a wireless access point(WAP54G) I set it to "wireless repeater mode." I'm hesitant to buy the AP until I know it works. Do you think it'll work? The router is in the basement & the only way we got his desktop to share our internet connection was by hardwiring the desktop to one of the router's ports. I don't really want to run any more wires.

Collapse -
It's the big problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 11:16 AM PST

You don't know if a repeater will cure a system till you try one.

Same goes of adding remote WAPs.

The only good news is these things are no longer 500 bucks each.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's the big problem.
by lizb3th / November 16, 2004 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: It's the big problem.

Thanks. I'll buy from a place it can be returned to if it doesn't work.
Liz

Collapse -
Re: You need to post such information or else suffer
by mcgauze / January 20, 2005 7:52 PM PST

There is an application out there called netstumbler. Which is a MUST for trouble shooting wireless networks. By installing it on the wireless laptop and wandering around the house you can test the strength of the signal from the AP in the basement and so decide where is best to place the repeater. Though be aware that althouogh 802.11 is a standard several manufacturers and even different models from the same company wont communicate. If all else fails you can use your standard telephone cable that runs thropugh your house as they wont interfere, all you'll need is a splitter for each wall socket taht you need to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?