Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help with windows XP security

by rfeio / December 31, 2009 9:34 PM PST

Hi,

I have a small business network comprised of a server and 4 PCs. Each of these machines have Windows XP Pro SP3.

Right now I have some folders on the server that are shared to everyone.

I would now like to define 2 folders that should be accessed by two different groups of users.

Now this may sound too basic for most of you but I haven't dealt with Windows at this level before so bear with me.

Let's suppose the following example:

- USERA and USERB are part of GROUP1 on the server
- FOLDERX is a shared folder
- GROUP1 should be the only one to access FOLDERX

After defining these users and groups on the server these users are still unable to access FOLDERX.

My guess is that when USERA or USERB try to access the FOLDERX (on the server) from one of the PCs, the Server does not recognize them as being USERA or USERB that are defined on the Server?

How can I implement this?

Cheers!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with windows XP security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with windows XP security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No groups here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 11:24 PM PST

As you are not using a Server version of Windows you have only users to work with here.

And it's all pretty simple when you learn about TWO areas so without duplicating the web, here's the short version.

1. USERS. AKA accounts for those 2 must exist on the machine that holds these files.

2. NTFS PERMISSIONS. On the machine that holds and shares this folder, look at the NTFS PERMISSIONS on those files and folders. Remove the users that should not have access and add those that should.

You may run into issues with having to set those permissions once in a while so write a script to do that for you.

This is not an offer to write a NTFS tutorial or duplicate easy to find web content or stand in for a fine book on the subject but to point out the two areas that I would need to know about.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows security
by rfeio / December 31, 2009 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: No groups here.

Hi Bob,

So, what you're saying is that USERA should exist on both the PC and the Server, right? This is already the case. Should the passwords be the same on both machines?

Can't I use GROUPS when defining who has access to the folder/files under these circumstances?

Cheers!

Collapse -
You got it right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Windows security

Many forget that when we connect to the server (which is not a Windows Server 200x or such but just XP) that our account must be there or it doesn't know us.

XP's groups are simple things. ADMIN, power users, etc. It is not even a shadow of what you call groups in Windows Server so for this discussion, no groups.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.