Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help with windows xp clock losing time !

by TonyaLknowles / March 17, 2009 11:55 PM PDT

I'm using windows XP My clock keeps losing time three hours every night even though I don't turn off the computer..
I have tried synchronizing with:
Time-a.Nist.gov (successful) But clock is still losing time through the night.
Time.Nist.gov (successful) But clock is still losing time through the night.
Time.windows.com (An error has occurred while windows was synchronizing with time windows.com The time sample was rejected because : The peer's stratum is less that the host stratum)
I have also tried windows restore to an early date will not restore, have also tried repair with the window Xp operating disk It will ask for an administrator password have put in the password & it's say's that it is invalid ....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with windows xp clock losing time !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with windows xp clock losing time !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 1:26 AM PDT

1. Check your TIME ZONE setting and see if it's not where you are.

2. As to the password. As supplied the password question is answered by tapping the enter key. If that does not work, google NTPASSWD and if you find that too hard pay up at http://www.lostpassword.com

Bob

Collapse -
Re
by TonyaLknowles / March 18, 2009 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Try...

I have checked & the time zone is correct I have not lost the password I know what it is but it just wont take it... Thank you for the reply

Collapse -
So the password is fixable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

The error on the time server is well discussed so google that.

Collapse -
Check this:
by Slikkster / March 18, 2009 7:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re
by TonyaLknowles / March 18, 2009 7:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Check this:

It is losing exactly 3 hours every night & I have only had it for 3 years bought in July of 2006 NEW from DELL

Collapse -
What happens if
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 9:22 PM PDT

you turn the machine off at night then boot it up in the morning? Has it still lost exactly 3 hours? Has it lost time, but not exactly 3 hours?

I wonder if something is changing the time during the night when you are not present. Why do you leave it on all night?

What does the Event Viewer say? Anything that suggests the system clock has been changed?

Mark

Collapse -
Status?
by Slikkster / March 19, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

You really didn't answer whether you've ever applied the "patch" I linked to above. And Mark tried to steer you in the right direction by having you look in the "event viewer". The event viewer marks events such as time synchronization.

There are a few ways to access the event viewer (typical for Windows), but probably the easiest is to just click Start. Click Run. Enter in the "open" box:

eventvwr.msc

Click OK.

The event viewer app will pop up on the screen. On the left side of the viewer, you'll see headers such as "Application", "Security", "System", etc. Click on the "System" header. Make the app full screen if you can't see all the columns.

Look at this picture to see what the "System" section of the event viewer looks like. Note that the red and yellow icons you see in this picture apply to this person's pc, so your system information will be different:

http://ebsoft.web.id/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/event-viewer.png

But notice in the picture the "Source" field. In the picture, you'll see one of the sources being "W32time". That's the Windows Time Sync service. Notice that this person's W32Time entry has a Yellow icon next to it. Yellow signifies a warning that something may not have executed correctly. (Red signifies errors). Your W32Time entries may or may not have yellow/red icons. What I'm most interested in is what they DO say when you doubleclick on them to open them up.

So, look down the source field and go back over the previous night's entries (assuming that you had the time set correctly BEFORE you went to bed). Find any W32time entries that show up during that period where the time may have been changed.

Doubleclick on each one and see what they say. Report back here. Report as to whether any of them have yellow or red icons, too. But definitely doubleclick on the W32Time entries so you get a popup box that explains what happened during that "source" and report back here. Try to type out EXACTLY what it says in the "Description" box. Leave out the bottom part of the description where it says "For more information, see Help and Support...". You don't need to report back with that part. That's standard verbiage. Just type out the text above that part.

One last note: If the Start/Run command for opening the event viewer doesn't work, open up Control Panel, then "Administrative Tools", then "Event Viewer".

Collapse -
RE:
by TonyaLknowles / March 20, 2009 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Status?

This is what it say on the event viewer (The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers been able to provide a usable time stamp. The clock is synchronized.) For more information see help & support center at
http://go.microsft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Collapse -
Read below:
by Slikkster / March 20, 2009 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Please do the following:

Click Start.
Click Run.

Now, CUT and PASTE the following into the "Open" box after clicking Run:

cmd /k Net time /querysntp

Click OK.

A black box should appear on the screen. The first line should say:

"The current SNTP value is:", followed by whatever the value is on your machine. I want you to report back here with the words that follow that line. For example, mine says:

"The current SNTP value is: time.windows.com,0x1"

I want you to report back with what YOUR line says.

Now, if you don't get the black box I mentioned above or if it has an error, it means you didn't copy and paste and manually typed it in wrong. That's why copying and pasting will ensure that you get it right.

Make sure you report back with the EXACT wording of that line...everything you see on the line that says "The current SNTP value is:" That includes the comma and the 0x number.

Note: I only need that line. You don't need to report back with "The command completed successfully" blah blah blah. Just the line I asked for. You can close the black box after reporting back here what it says.

Collapse -
Re
by TonyaLknowles / March 21, 2009 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Read below:

The current SNTP vaule is :Time-a.Nist.gov ,ox1

Collapse -
Ck Time Zone worked!
by reharrison / September 18, 2010 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Try...

Wow. That's the simplest solution I think I've ever come upon. Thanks!

Collapse -
In the zone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Ck Time Zone worked!

Glad it helped!

Collapse -
How OLD is Machine &
by tobeach / March 18, 2009 3:26 PM PDT

if 4 or more years old have you had the CMOS battery replaced yet?
They're usually good for about 5 years. One of the symptoms of it dying is inaccurate time showing. Just a left field thought. Happy

Collapse -
There are a few simple solutions to time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

1. Use another server like you read at http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-355992.php

2. Make sure your CMOS battery is good then forget about Windows Time services (hint: turn it off.)

3. Another cause is the FIREWALL. I can't count how many times people install such things and then write a question like this one. They blocked the connection without research.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by janetwalker101 / March 27, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

that help me thanks a lot

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!