General discussion

Help with weird purple marks on screen

I've had this problem for the last 2 weeks now and its really starting to frustrate me so if anyone can shed any light on this it would be most appreciated. Basically i'm finding these strange purple lines and marks on pictures and menu tabs. These marks seem to come and go completely randomly and they change size portionally to a picture if you zoom in on the picture. I've run norton and several other antivirus programmes but they've pickied up nothing. I've saved screenshots with the purple marks but when the computer is fine then the marks are not on the saved images. Please somebody help me out as this has become a real hassle,thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help with weird purple marks on screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help with weird purple marks on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Typical of a failing video card or one that is ...

TOO HOT.

Try this. Pull the case cover off. Better? Same?

Bob

- Collapse -
Well its...

my laptop so i don't know how to take the casing off,is there anything else i can do to sort this out?

- Collapse -
is it still under warranty?

Notebooks/laptops are a lot harder to repair. Many don't come with a separate video card that can be replaced. What make and model is it?

- Collapse -
Please read the Forum Tip.

When you posted "Help with weird purple marks on screen

I've had this problem for the last 2 weeks now and its really starting to frustrate me so if anyone can shed any light on this it would be most appreciated. Basically i'm finding these strange purple lines and marks on pictures and menu tabs. These marks seem to come and go completely randomly and they change size portionally to a picture if you zoom in on the picture. I've run norton and several other antivirus programmes but they've pickied up nothing. I've saved screenshots with the purple marks but when the computer is fine then the marks are not on the saved images. Please somebody help me out as this has become a real hassle,thanks."

Not a word about this being a laptop and no make/model. The Tip is presented with every post and if you are not seeing it, please report this to the Forum Feedback Forum.

As it stands, try cleaning out the vents (I use a vacuum cleaner!) You can try latest drivers, but keep in mind that no Microsoft "Update Driver" does this for you.

Check your warranty and call it in.

Bob

- Collapse -
hi Bob, just a "curiousity" question

do magnets effect LCD screens as they do CTR monitors?

jonah

- Collapse -
Laptop model

My laptop is a HP compaq nx9000 with an onboard radeon IGP340 chipset so i don`t think i`ll be able to replace the graphics card. I`ve just install all new drivers for it but its made no difference. My warrenty is out now and the hoovering hasn`t seemed to work. Any ideas on options that i have left?

- Collapse -
Buy a new computer?

The problem with major repairs on a notebook, they can cost more than the computer is worth. Do you have a local computer repair shop where you could find out exactly what is wrong and the cost to fix it?

- Collapse -
Wipe and install from the restore CDs.

Sometimes we find it's "something" corrupt on the hard disk and no amount of simple cleanup will fix it. Some owners can't stand the wipe since...

There is no backup.

Here's another idea. Boot up a KNOPPIX CD. If you are lucky, it may support the machine well enough to get out on the internet and see if the problem is a hardware issue.

Last hope? See if the warranty just expired and try to get it extended for 2 years.

Bob

- Collapse -
KNOPPIX CD

What is a KNOPPIX CD and will it help me boot my XP machine? I don't want to do a full wipe.

- Collapse -
What is..

1. It's widely documented out there on google.com.

2. It has nothing to do with XP but is a tool I use to sniff out if there is a hardware problem.

3. If you are not ready for the full wipe, then I'd get ready. I've seen a few of these just straighten out with the factory load OS. Eventually the owner discovers what they added that messed it up, but they must pay attention to what they load. Those the just load up all that can on a machine without care tend to not notice what caused it. That is, if its a software issue.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info