General discussion

Help with userini.exe

Hey so AVG was doing a scan and found one infection but said it couldn't fix it.

I'm running Windows XP not sure on much else about the computer since it was given to me by a friend a couple years back and I'm pretty much clueless.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe

Infection: Trojan Horse downloader Agent AQTQ

Says it's whitelisted so it shouldn't be removed.

I've looked around and seen that most to do with this say that you should repair it from the windows disc but I don't have one and unfortunately my cd rom doesn't currently work for one reason or another. Was just wondering if there was any way to fix this before it becomes a real issue since I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help with userini.exe
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help with userini.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I know that trojan.

Since you don't have the XP CD any repair is not possible. Let's tackle this another way. Is this machine worth getting restore media, a working drive or a real copy+license of XP?
Bob

- Collapse -
Idea...

I was wondering is there maybe some place I could download the userinit.exe to replace getting it from the disc? If so anyone have a link and steps to take to get rid of the trojan and replace this file?

- Collapse -
Sorry no.

CNET Forums

Forum Info