Desktops forum

General discussion

Help with upgrading RAM

by Screaming_Dude_in_Vegas / April 11, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

OK, I'm planning on upgrading my computer from 512MB to 1GB of RAM. I've installed graphics cards befor to PCI and AGP slots with no seperate power cables, but thats about all I've done when it comes to upgrading the stuff inside the box.

I'm using a Dell Dimention 4600 that had been upgraded from 256 to 512 RAM with the order. I took a look inside the box and saw 2 long narrow cards above the PCI slots that I think were the RAM cards, but they were partialy blocked by the power suply tape cable thing. there weren't any other slot around them. I'm asuming that I have 2 256 cards, and that there aren't other slots. Which I think means that I need to get 2 512 cards.

So what type of RAM works with Dell computers? Is there much difference? Can anyone confirm weather or not I was correct about those being 2 256 RAM cards? Are they even called RAM cards, or are they Chipsets, or bords or somthing else? Am I being to paranoid, and is installing RAM harder or easier than installing a graphics card?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with upgrading RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with upgrading RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE
by nerdyboy1234 / April 11, 2005 12:06 PM PDT

They are called ram sticks.

I'm not familiar with dell computers so i'm not sure if the ram sticks are located where u say they are. they are usually located next to cpu and run vertically.

To ensure that the ram works, go crucial, kingston, or pny. they have configurators to match your computer with the ram you can buy for that system.

Installing ram is pretty easy. All u got to do is stick them in. When boot up, it should have dis ram check thing meaning the ram was properly installed. if no more that, and theres a blank screen probanly bought the wrong ram or put it in wrong. make sure it is securely seated.

I would say that installing ram is easier than gfx card install because for gfx card install u got to disable the previous display adapter then put in the card then install the driver and whatever software. But for ram, its simple, just stick them in.

Collapse -
new ram
by crazeebob2000 / April 11, 2005 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

Go to Crucial.com, they have a system that will find what is for your particular puter and they guarantee it will work.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Screaming_Dude_in_Vegas / April 12, 2005 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: new ram

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Dell sometimes uses proprietary RAM
by twesterh / April 13, 2005 6:03 AM PDT

Those SOB's... I have a p4 2ghz desktop and you can't buy RAM from Crucial or Kinsgton... You can only buy it from Dell and of course it costs twice as much....

Make sure you know for a FACT you can use retail stuff before you buy it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.