General discussion

Help with TV under special situations

I have broadband TV & Net. I need help with TV under two distinct situations. (I don?t know who to ask, please help.)
First, I have a TV that has a coax input, and even tho I can?t run a cable line to it, I want to watch TV on it. In the past an antenna would work, but now I guess I need a digital converter &/or special antenna. What can you recommend to me for this? Is there a unit with both antenna AND digital converter together? Something that can be plugged into the wall socket OR battery powered? (Bat. cos of 2nd partHappy
Second, I want something that I can watch, for long periods, during a power outage! I have a portable (bat. operated) TV w/a 3" screen, but it would need a battery operated converter & antenna. (I understand [from YouTube] that the DC kind can be ?hacked? to use batteries.)
Also, is there a television I can buy that runs on both power types (AC & DC), or just batteries, that also has a built-in converter/antenna, with a larger screen ? 7" or so?

The first I need for a TV I?ll watch while on an exercise bike in a room with no cable access. The 2nd, I want for during blackouts ? so it?ll have to have extra batteries; be ?recharged? by AA bats. etc. I was considering a (cheap) laptop ? IF I can watch TV on it. Ex: laptop (w/bat.) + a non-powered antenna (or something). I heard there?s no way to get internet access on a laptop w/o a power source cos WiFi needs DC. IS there a way to get internet on a laptop with just batteries? (WiFi doesn't quite cover my home area.)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help with TV under special situations
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help with TV under special situations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You really need reliable AC power

First of all, battery power is a no-go for non-portable HDTVs, digital converters & routers/modems/wifi. You would need to have a generator for blackouts if they are regular ocurrences where you live. OTOH a basic small portable TV and small powered antennas will generally work for modest periods on battery (DC) power.

Regarding laptops, the cheap ones generally don't have the best battery life, so that needs to be taken into consideration. You could always pop in a DVD, but such multimedia usage will usually drain the batter quicker than surfing the web or typing an email message. Again, no AC or generator, no wifi/internet access.

Also, when you pick up a digital converter you will want to try someplace like Radio Shack (online is good too) for a small antenna. Keep in mind that externally mounted antennas on top of a structure with line of sight will help you pull in the best signal for OTA (over the air) viewing. Next choice is inside an attic, and after that would be a simply 'rabbit ears' on top of the TV. All of this is not without some trial and error to place the antenna where you can pull in the best picture.

If your TV lacks a coaxial or RCA/video input, you might be able to use a 75Ohm to 300ohm converter if it at least has the two screws visible behind the TV. If not, then you are SOL and need another TV.

Here's a graphic of what to look for:
http://sites.google.com/site/columbiaisax/converter_box_balun.jpg

- Collapse -
How about converting that exercise bicycle into...

a 12v generator and charge some 12v batteries. With that you can convert 12vdc to 110vac and power your TV.

CNET Forums

Forum Info